Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball Valken Paintball

Air - is it worth it for entry-level marker?

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by QuackingPlums, Nov 28, 2002.

1. QuackingPlums Go get a wee-mee!

QuackingPlums
    Message Count:
    *IF* I was to buy an air system for my Spyder Xtra;
    a) would it be worth it?
    b) would I be able to take it with me when I upgrade to a better marker?

:D

2. smartecosse 5.5.20.22.19

smartecosse
    Message Count:
    get the best system u can afford. if it means sticking with CO2 for now fine but if u can afford air then go for it. u can just transfer it from marker to marker as u upgrade. angel or max seem to be the 2 most popular at the moment. i have had both and had no probs with either. make sure its a 4500 psi though or u will need to upgrade later

3. QuackingPlums Go get a wee-mee!

QuackingPlums
    Message Count:
    As I thought then... :D

My spyder currently has an expansion chamber and low pressure chamber... - I think I know what the expansion chamber does, but no idea what the lpc is for - I gather that an air system will require a reg of some description?

How do these things work?

Do I need to get rid of the expansion chamber etc on my marker?

4. smartecosse 5.5.20.22.19

smartecosse
    Message Count:
    their are two type of air system. pre set and adjustable. pre set is the cheapest way to go and the adj is far more flexible and hence costs more. :)
    not had a spyder myself but i don't see y u should have to get rid of the lpc at all.
    the bottle is at 4500 and the reg which it attaches to brings this output down to the required pressure for ur spyder. its really that simple.
    bolt on the reg and bottle, gas the tabk, set the output pressure and your off!!

5. Cube M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions

Cube
    Message Count:
    IIRC

The expansion chamber allows liquid CO2 that is drawn into it the time and space to convert to liquid CO2. You won't need one of these with air 'cause there's no liquifation.

The low pressure chamber increases the volume of gas behind the valve that can be used when firing. This allows you to run the marker at lower pressure but still attain 300fps.

When you buy a 3000 or 4500psi air system you will be buying the bottle and a high pressure regulator. Don't buy a bottle fill it to 4500psi and screw it into your Spyder without a reg, not unless you want to pick bits of yourself out of the walls:rolleyes:

The High pressure regulator will take the 3/4.5K bottle pressure down to whatever the input pressure of your marker is. If you want a little more stability get a Low Pressure regulator to fit between the HPR and the marker.

Set up your output/input pressures and bob's your uncle.

LPR's a great foregrips, especially the Ergo reg, just make sure you get a good one 'cause some cheap regs don't repressurise quickly enough to keep up with rapid firing.

Get a good setup and it'll probably cost you more than the marker, (my AIR and Ergo reg for example ~£500 iirc) but you can transfer it to any marker you buy. Or look 2nd hand here on the forums and you'll get a bargain. I've seen decent systems for a couple of hundred quid.

HTH

6. QuackingPlums Go get a wee-mee!

QuackingPlums
    Message Count:
    I see... so the existing expansion chamber and low pressure chamber can both stay inline with the air - there's no ill effects from using them with air?

If I go ahead and do this, will I still be able to change back to CO2 relatively easily if I happen to visit a site without air fills?

7. Cube M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions

Cube
    Message Count:
    The LPC can, but I'd change the expansion chamber for an in line LPR.

I'm not sure if the expansion chamber would affect the gas flow of the air. But a decent LPR would be far better than a superfluous expansion chamber.

As to changing, keep the bottom line with the expansion chamber in your tool kit and swap that for the air system if you need to.

Though once you've gone air you won't want to go back.

8. QuackingPlums Go get a wee-mee!

QuackingPlums
    Message Count:
    ah, ok... I guess your previous post squeezed in whilst I was writing mine... :D

I'm assuming that once I go to air I won't want to go back, but if I end up at a site that doesn't have air, it'd be handy to be able to fall back...

Sounds like this transition to air is one of the biggest things to happen to paintball at the moment?

9. smartecosse 5.5.20.22.19

smartecosse
    Message Count:
    yes, buy a bilk scuba as well and then take your own air with you

10. QuackingPlums Go get a wee-mee!

QuackingPlums
    Message Count:
    What pressure do those things get filled to? If you can take several 4500psi fills from one throughout the day, they must be at a pretty high pressure?

I'm actually thinking about the times I go with my non marker-owning mates on rec days (if I'm allowed to use my own) then it'd be useful to use their co2... if I'm lugging about a scuba tank too then I might seem Mr Takes-it-too-seriously to the average punter... :D