Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Air

James Gleeson

Apr 17, 2013
I'm looking into purchasing a tank to fill my air at home but a lot of it is going over my head, I'm not going to lie.

I need to know what kind of tank to buy, the fill station?(I think it's called) and if there is anything else... I have filled my tanks before at events and stuff so I know how to actually fill them it's just the equipment side I'm stuck on if you can help :D

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Compressors are pretty much out of the question. Domestic and workshop compressors can't get the pressure and would contaminate the cylinder with oils etc thus potentially exploding at a later date when you do get a high pressure fill

A practical method is with a scuba cylinder. 4500 or 3000psi

You then need a fill station with the right fitting
They can have a 'din' or 'a clamp' fitting, so you need a fill station with a matching din or a clamp

When you get the cylinder filled at a dive shop you will be charged per fill
When you fill your paintball cylinder you drop the source pressure as they equalise
So with a 232 bar/3000psi scuba source to a 3000psi paintball cylinder you get a fraction less than 3000psi, the next fill a little less, etc

To preserve pressure don't let your paintball cylinder drop low, fill regularly and not to capacity. Eg fill at 2800 or 2900psi and you will get constant fills for a while

Get a 300bar/4500psi scuba cylinder (at greater expense) then fill your paintball cylinder to 3000psi for many more fills or around 4300 for a good number at that level

Because the pressure will equalise no matter the size a large scuba cylinder just delays the time that it takes to drop pressure and equalise

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Note - you can get a 4500psi dive cylinder as the source and fill a 3000psi paintball cylinder
You then either use a regulated fill station to keep the pressure back down at 3000psi or pay close attention and stop filling at or before 3000psi

You will also need to be aware that scuba hydro test times are different, that have an extra visual inspection
If you have a 'surface use only' cylinder then the test period is extended
(I believe that any cylinder can be made 'surface only' by painting the words on it, but you may need a different type of scuba regulator to prevent use by divers or the shop may even refuse to fill anyway

If you do opt for a scuba fill station ask the dive shop what they are willing to fill

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
I picked up a dive tank 12ltr 232 from ebay £45.00 - I had it tested and refurbished (hydro, cleaned and painted) by a dive tank testers nr Southampton for £43.00 and bought a fill rig also from ebay for £18.00. n.b. I did not get the tank o2 cleaned, but did go for a full referb because I might want to sell it again and having it almost dive ready will help resale. (n.b. I used to be a dive instructor).

My Local dive shop will fill the tank for £3.00.

I can now fill and test kit from home. I did all this approx. 6 months ago - prices might have changed but not by much.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Colin.

James Gleeson

Apr 17, 2013
Cheers lads, getting a much better idea of it all now, there is a scuba place 5 minute walk away from where I live and they told me they could fill my tanks for me providing I have the fitting, which would be the DIN or clamp and £2 (said the air would be free the £2 is labour, that I can live with)

I'll start looking around at the 3000psi

Cheers again :D