Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Another day, another thread.... A re-newbie tries again.

Bak Man

user not abuser
Jul 22, 2007
So I posted recently about getting back into the sport and what I should expect coming back to the sport and suggestions from the move from familiar woodsball to the tourney side of life that interests me way more these days. I would love info on...
-the scene as it stands.
-a good mid-range marker set up.
-if anyone has info on the scene around the Ipswich area.
Big thanks to all who contributed to my last post.

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
The tourney scene is the best it's been in years. The main forerunner in this and the most popular by far is the CPPS series based at Penkridge, this 2 day event sees thousands of players each month battling out to be the best in their respective divisions. There are other tournament series available how we this is the big one in the UK.

As far as guns go, your choice is only limited by your budget.

Most tournament markers are very similar in terms of reliability, ease of use and efficiency and some can be picked up very cheaply. Each has its differences and people have their opinions and favourites for a variety of reasons.

Watch some YouTube videos of different markers and if you can see what people are using at your local site and ask to have a try (most paintballers are more more than happy to show of their kit)

Here is a basic list of different markers for you to check out:

Planet Eclipse
1) Ego (variants from 2007-2011)
2) Geo (1-3.5)
3) LV1
4) Etha
5) Etek series (1-5)

Dye
1) DM series (8-15)
2) NT 10/11
3) Rail series

Empire
1) Mini and Mini GS
2) Axe (and Axe pro)
3) Vanquish

Smart Parts/Luxe
1) Ion
2) Shockers
3) Luxe 1/1.5/2.0
4) Shocker RSX

Angel
1) A1
2) A1 fly

Macdev
1) Droid
2) Clone (VX and GTI)

Bob Long
1) Victory
2) Marq
2) Insight
4) G6R

These guns cover a vast array of prices from sub £100-£1000. Some are easier to maintain than others, some more reliable and some look better the choice depends entirely on what you are looking for.

There are many different markers available (and many I haven't mentioned here) but one of these would suit you well. Do your research before you buy, decide what you are looking for in a marker and then search the classifieds. A bit of work goes a long way to getting something perfect.

The classifieds here are a great place to start, once you find something you like the look of in your budget do some research on the gun and ask people what they are like and you won't go wrong.

In terms of a compete setup, make sure your air bottle is in test and has plenty life left (ideally coming from a reputable seller also). The three main hoppers used in today's tournaments are the Virtue Spire, Dye Rotor and Empire Phropecy Z2, all of these are very a capable hoppers so chose which you prefer the look of (again watch some
YouTube vids of them to aid your decision)

The best two bits of advice I'll give is

1) Don't blow all of your budget on a top end gun and all the kit and leave yourself no money actually play. The amount of people I see do this each year is enormous and hey soon leave the sport as they can't afford to use their expensive kit.

2) play as often as you can and enjoy yourself. it'a much more fun playing the game rather than polishing your kit, get out as often as you can and shoot people up, you will get much better much quicker shooting people rather than talking about it.

Bak Man

user not abuser
Jul 22, 2007
Huge thankyou dude, most comprehensive reply I think I've ever had on any forum ever! Not just paintball either.
In all the sports.I do that advice about budget is so true, seen it happen many a time.
I will scour the interweb for reviews, love the look of the axe pro so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
HK Army masks are looking slick this year and I'm hearing only good things but again thoughts appreciated
Loaders, is there any huge variences in the fore runners, from what I've seen the rotor is still leading the pack, guessing its the choice of pros for a reason right!
Now its a case of finding a local tourney site and laying out some pennys next month.
Awesome reply matey, thanks again!

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
No probs at all mate.

The Axe pro is a very nice marker, not many about on the second hand scene which goes to show most people who get them hang on to them. Good support for Empire kit in the UK so any issues and you will be ok. In the same price bracket have a look at second hand Ego/Geo and DM markers, both can be picked up cheap and offer a lot of bang for their buck. Eclipse markers hold their resale value better than most other things in the UK and with PE being based in the UK and at every CPPS tourney any issues are easily rectified.

As for Loaders it's about 50/50 Spire to Rotor in the UK both being fantataic (I have one of each in fact) the new HK loader is very capable too, although you will be hard pressed to find a second hand one yet.

Masks-personally I wear a HK mask and find it comfortable. My other suggestions would be Grillz and JT/Empire proflex/E flex (same mask but the Empire encorporated their excellent quick change lens to the proflex bottoms)

As for trousers and Jersey, second hand versions can be picked up for as little as £10.

Welcome to the forum mate, prepare to lose a lot of time and money in the game :)

Reactions: Bak Man and Bolter

Bak Man

user not abuser
Jul 22, 2007
I'm from the bury st Edmund's area, think cambridge, although its about 25 odd miles away. Woodsball used to be my game as I worked on a site that was solely that discipline. Even attended the odd warped big game years back.
The insight you've given has been awesome. Looking at the forums and reviews people seem to love the axe pro, the odd person saying with a full hopper its slightly rear heavy but with a slightly lighter bolt popped in its a dream gun for the money, and I love an air through, macro lines look a tad untidy to me. I will look at the ol' classifieds for some playing/practice gear and I think a HK mask, especially with your blessings Sid!
Bolter I have full faith in the unpublished awesomeness of your post and thankyou for the thought if not the delivery...though I'm sure it would have been perfectly be executed matey

Last edited:
Reactions: Sid Sidgwick