Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Any engineers/metal type guys willing to help a brother out?

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
I have a couple of questions. Doing a design project for my degree, you don't need to know the ins and outs, but what do you reckon this is made from, and what finishing technique has been used (if any)?
It's a chain tool for a bike. I'm reckoning it's cast from aluminium, with the black part being machined from hardened steel. I'd like to think (for ease) that it was all hardened steel, but I don't think you could cast that with that level of detail. As for the finish, I don't know.
Thanks for looking!

renie

Mar 2, 2008
without seeing it I would say it would be cast stainless or just plated steel as ally would be to soft,
and as for the detail that's not really high detail and easy to achieve in a cast
the black parts are most likely chemi black (a chemical agent that turns steel black like on a rifle barrel)

Reactions: Cook$

renie

Mar 2, 2008
hard to say mate the only casting ive machined were stainless door hinges on the Mercedes McLaren SLR.
being USA made I would say it would be of a higher quality to something you get from Taiwan ;)
common steel is CrMo plated.

more info on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_casting

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Definitely won't be cast aluminium that would snap as soon you started to push the chain pin out of the chain, cast aluminium is pretty brittle stuff.

powie

Apr 25, 2003
oldham
try a magnet on it, stainless and ally are non-magnetic, my guess would be chrome-vanadium as most decent mechanics tools are made from that

if you have one you could always do a density check ( weight / volume)

displace it in water to find the volume

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Thought of a magnet not long after I posted earlier. It is magnetic so definitely not Al.
Thanks guys, narrowing it down.

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
most chain breakers i encounter are cast from chrome vanadium. the only hardened part is usually the pin.

had a couple snap in my hand on paticularly stubborn chains mixed with a shoddy cast.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
That's what I was thinking, the pin would be the only hardened bit. I've snapped a few, but never a park tools one. Quality stuff.
So consensus is chrome vanadium. That'll do me. Done some digging, and the best I've come up with was hardened steel which was pretty vague.
Thanks again.