Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Are we, as mankind, devolving?

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
I don't know if people are getting dumber or lazier. we seem to rely on ever smarter technologies to "do" our daily living for us. In that sense, yes we are getting dumber.

As a for instance, my mental arithmetic is pretty good, not professor level or anything but I can count quickly and accurately how many parts we have by adding up boxes with random quantities or whatever. I can work out the vat on prices of things, add up the sh*t in the shopping trolley and that kind of stuff.

I work with people, and i sh*t you not, who cannot tell me how many parts we have in 8 boxes with 12 parts in each. Thay actually need a calculator. I could have told you that in f*cking primary school.

I know people who cannot change a car wheel, I know people who when presented with very SIMPLE problems seem to think their lives are falling apart as opposed to trying to figure out a fix. At the base levels I think schools are teaching the wrong stuff, instead of actual skills we need in life like wiring plugs, changing car wheels and so on they're convinced that teaching kids their human rights and protecting their delicate little bubble wrapped existences from the horrors of being given a bollocking for doing wrong.

I could go on, ain't got time.

Memphos

Feb 15, 2011
Individuals develop, species evolve.

Development is what happens with inherent information within an organism i.e. Embryo > Foetus > Baby > Teenager > Adult > OAP. Evolution is what happens to a species over time due to natural selection i.e. the Cane Toad.

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
I know people who cannot change a car wheel, I know people who when presented with very SIMPLE problems seem to think their lives are falling apart as opposed to trying to figure out a fix. At the base levels I think schools are teaching the wrong stuff, instead of actual skills we need in life like wiring plugs, changing car wheels and so on they're convinced that teaching kids their human rights and protecting their delicate little bubble wrapped existences from the horrors of being given a bollocking for doing wrong.
True that!

They need to scrap stupid subject like compulsory religious studies and make all students do resistant materials. I did both at GCSE as i remember and i learnt how to make benches, wire plugs, use a soldering iron, All stuff that was interesting and would help me in later life. As for Religious Studies, i honestly didn't bother going to half the lessons, waste of my life. If i wanted to learn about religion then id have taken it as an option, or id ask some of my mates. I have nothing against learning it, but it shouldnt be compulsory in place of life useful subjects. Sounds a bit, whats the word...snobby, but at the end of the day, its not very useful.

The problem with the world at the moment is people want everything, for nothing. And so they put no effort in to learn/enhance their skillset or anything like that. Infact clever people are looked down upon in alot of the community. I told my mates i was going to effectively become a "rocket scientist" <--- posh name for an aeronautical engineer haha, and they all laughed at me and called me a geek. Thats not right, i can now pretty much build a missile from scratch, i know how to build a plane (not that i could...maybe a small one at a push)....i wonder if someone on the doll who is living in a council house playing on his xbox and living off the governments money all day is able to do that? Im 99.999999999% sure they wont be able to.

So were not devolving, we're becoming lazy because of technology and because the government is giving people money for being lazy! If any of you are on the doll, please do not take this to heart as i know it is hard to find a job in the current climate, but its the people that take advantage of it, and dont bother looking for a job once they are on the doll that makes me want to beat the living sense out of them.

I think however we are devolving with regards to language. Instead of writing proper sentences now, its all just abbreviations and nonsense. The other day i said, "he was inebriated" and EVERYONE in the room said, what does that mean. I genuinely felt like shooting myself.

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
species over time due to natural selection i.e. the Cane Toad.
As humans we are a little above natural selection due to technology i think.

Without being insensitive,

look at HIV - If we didnt have preventative measures, this would have killed far more than it already has, this is natural selection because the people that can withstand it are "naturally" selected due to immunities. Nobody has an immunity to this virus because as humans, we counter it with antibiotics and such

Polio - SUPER deadly virus, but again, we not get polio jabs to prevent us from getting it

This list goes on...BUT the biggest one:

HAYFEVER! and ASTHMA - now they are both unbelievably stupid traits for a human, but due to technology we have kind of overcome them. If we were cave men and had no medicine, people with asthma, would die. People with hayfever would develop eye/throat/nose infections, and die.

So no, were not devolving because natural selection cannot be applied to humans, as we never have a chance to build up an immunity to things due to drugs and hospitals.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Sorry mate, but our medical care and science does not stop us evolving or devolving. Natural selection isn't solely decided by who dies from what ilness, specimens that die because they were stupid enough to go swimming in a billabong full of salt water crocodiles are also part of the natural selection and survival of the fittest: you are stupid, you die.
Besides that, there are millions, if not billions of people that have no access to high standards of medical care. Sure, in western Europe and the US aids is now more of a chronic illness, rather than a death sentence, but larges swathes of africa are still dying from aids.

Reactions: Bambulus

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
Naa natural selection is based on what/who dies. So not just illnesses but its an example. Education has got better, thus less people die from stupid things, like swimming with crocodiles. And you cant base stupidity on natural selection either, 1 person does something stupid, then anyone that knows about it doesnt do it.

But if you look at nature, things like..dodo's dying out wasnt due to them being stupid, it was their inability to fly/catch food, and from an epidemic. 90% of the time natural selection is due to diseases or lack of food available. As humans, we combat diseases, and we have an abundance of food. Yes 3rd world countries dont have them but people that are in wealthy countries help, hence all the charities we have. AND yes alot dont get treated, but thats part of natural selection as a whole <- and from illness not stupidity.

metalfof

Jul 3, 2011
Croydon
Maybe the question itself is wrong,devolution indicates a backwards trend,perhaps we have,as a race,stopped evolving due to greater control of factors such as disease,natural predators etc.

Reactions: Dup