Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Back in the Game..! [NW - looking for players, clubs & fields]

MetaControl

Jul 9, 2020
Liverpool
It seems there is a surge of Xgens getting back into the game lately... I am one of them. Always loved this game, got more serious during the early 2000s... got especially into rec-ball, woodlands and scenario (sup air is not my thing) and I was really good too; but somehow life got in the way and I have not had a chance to shoot paint in years. Recently I figured I need to do something more physical than using a xbox controller, and the one thing I always wanted to play more, was paintball. So I am back, and ready for some pain(t).
Alas, it seems harder than expected... I am having a really hard time finding decent fields, fields that suit players like me... as far as I could gather, most fields don't really like or support players that have their own equipment.

I just invested a buttload into gear - to have my own, because i can, because i don't want to play with rental gear, to geek out over it, to tune and tinker; because that is part of the appeal to me - but somehow it feels like I am punished for wanting more out of the game than camo onesies, co2 rentals with 40 ball gravity hoppers, shooting it out with a stag party that is hard to convince to keep their damn masks on, because q-anon or something...
But me having decent gear, means that the casuals, rentals and randos will be shot more often and that makes it less fun for them... (I am paraphrasing an actual conversation with a field owner) And sure, they bring in more money, after all, I only need air (which is usually free), and I'll buy a box of paint and maybe some smokes, but that's probably it. If you have a rental field, the money is in gear. I get it. And to be fair, if you don't want me on your field than I certainly do not want to be on your field either.

But there has to be a place for players like me? There have to be some fields that welcome any kind of players, or support those who wanna play more often, have their own gear, are more serious about it, while still playing for fun - seriously painful and tactically challenging adrenaline inducing fun. So I have come for help and pointers...

I currently live in Liverpool and I am looking for a team, a group, a field, a club, a secret paintball society nearby (<100km rad), where I can come and play with a dsr, or a t15, depending on my mood, or the day of the week. Where I can play pump or semi, or even let it run full auto once in a while. A place that welcomes me to come by, get some air (preferably 4500psi) and a box of paint and lets me tune and test my markers; a field that allows first strikes, and radios and cameras to film some of the action; a field where if all i see is heads, headshots are fine. I want to play more than just once a month (there are two potential fields not too far from me, each offering one walk-on day per month, both have it on the 3rd sunday for some inexplicable reason). I'd like to play with people who appreciate a good game, who don't mind being shot, but instead will geek out over the game; people who are willing to invest into it. I am looking for some serious fun!
Please tell me of all the great and secret games out there; tell me about the fields that are better than the others; let me into the inner circle of proper paintball in the uk! Do it here in public, or per PM. But please, help a fellow painter out! Don't let my paint run dry before I had a chance to propel it at around 295 feet per second, accelerated by pressurized air, majestically driven through an arc core bolt at 115psi. I really need to shoot some paint!

TL;DR: Where the real games at?

Thanks!

Reactions: ant290

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Three things:-

1. Have you been drinking a lot of coffee?

2. Most walkon fields don't allow velocities above 280fps.

3. Some fields may not allow First Strikes.

That said, welcome to the forum!

Your best bet for walkons near you is Outpost near Chester:-

The owner, Jonathan Evans, is a good man.

Further afield is YPC near Selby:-

A very big site with varied fields.

Warped near Cosford:-

Warped has a paintball club that is home to a number of tournament teams, so if you want to progress to playing tournaments this may be the place for you.

Look the sites up on Facebook for more information on walkons. The sites also offer airsoft walkons if you are into that as well.

Sites usually hold walkons once each month. I assume the reason for this is that walkons are less profitable than "rental" days (normal customers), so playing at two or more sites that have different walkon dates might suit you.

I don't go to walkons very often, so others on this forum may know of other friendly fields.

Visit as many different sites as you can. You never know who you will meet and what it will lead to.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ant290

BOOOOM!
May 15, 2007
Southampton
ant290.wixsite.com
Love the enthusiasm!

Certainly seems like walk-ons are the one for you right now as they usually have regular players who come looking for the same thing you are looking for.

I would also say it might be worth you looking into some of the big games that happen as they might well scratch that itch (although travel may be needed and its often multi day events... which is a good thing if you can make it).

visit whatever you can locally that is a walk-on and talk to other players there, they will soon have you plugged into the paintball hive mind with more notifications about he said she said on facebook than your local rumour mill!

Oh.. and when you go, and make videos / have a great time... come back and tell us all about it... then the next you can find it too!

Reactions: MetaControl

MetaControl

Jul 9, 2020
Liverpool
1. Have you been drinking a lot of coffee?
Because of the verbosity or the late hour post? Either way, it would be more of a natural byproduct of my profession.

2. Most walkon fields don't allow velocities above 280fps.
That's fine; i didn't mean it literal, more literary.
I have not played in the UK before and the conversations on the topic of fps tend to gravitate somewhere around that area, with 300 usually being cited as the legal max.

3. Some fields may not allow First Strikes.
That was to be expected. I don't have a mag-fed yet, but i want to get one, and i am eager to try FSs and hope to find a few games that allow/sell them; I am sure there some, I have seen them on the youtubes. ;)

Thanks, for the welcome and the info.
Outpost was one of the two that I was referring to and is on the top of my list. Warped looks cool, a bit far off, but I like the club element. Seems like a lot of opportunities to play. Might even give the squad training day a go, just for fun.

Visit as many different sites as you can. You never know who you will meet and what it will lead to.
There are a few sites nearby that I wanna check out (Kirky, Formby, Ormskirk), but most of them seem rental focused without any info on any kind of walkon or open games, many of them also seem to be part of one or more franchises..? (Bedlam, UK Paintball, Go Ballistic - can someone explain these to me?)

Certainly seems like walk-ons are the one for you right now as they usually have regular players who come looking for the same thing you are looking for.
Finding the good ones and establishing a kind of rotation, that's the plan. Maybe finding a group of people to team up with... Would make going to those big games easier for sure.

they will soon have you plugged into the paintball hive mind with more notifications about he said she said on facebook than your local rumour mill!
I am trying to cut down on my facebook, they aren't paying me enough for my data. ;)

Oh.. and when you go, and make videos / have a great time... come back and tell us all about it... then the next you can find it too!
I'll try my best. Happy to share the videos if/when they come.

I appreciate the pointers so far. Chester and Warped seem to be good places to start. Cheers (y)

Reactions: ant290