Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Back to barrels again, but can you tell me why..

enid_puceflange

Homo - Indomitus
but,

having just tred to "spin" a paintball on my kitchen worktop it did continue to rotate for quite a while, this is because of the consistency of the filling no? it being quite thick it does not stay "stationary" inside the shell like water would for example?
ready to be corrected!:D
because its thick it accelerates and rotates with the shell at the same speed huh?
(prob making a thorough ass of myself)!!!!!!

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Of course there is the other side to rifling which stems from the somewhat successfully proven concept behind spiral venting which we know does work: air and propellant gas distribution. This started with Tom Kaye's crown point barrel hypothesis (to please those who choose to invoke the power of the almighty tech god :p ) wherein the ball's transition to the outside air is gradually accommodated by gradually opening the front of the barrel in a sort of muzzle break fashion. Spiral venting does such for the air in front of the ball, the ball itself ala the crown point, and makes the gas distribution behind the ball uniform prior to exit after it has accomplished its task of accelerating the ball in the back section. What internal rifling, spiral or straight, may accomplish is doing this internally rather than externally by letting small amounts of the gas vent around the ball in a controlled pattern. Does this work? Ask someone who loves Armsons and they'll tell you yes it does; someone who doesn't will say no it doesn't. Objectivity in paintball is about as rare as a Harvard graduated Victoria's Secret millionaire supermodel without a husband or boyfriend living downstairs from you with time on her hands on a Friday night. If anyone has ever done a side by side comparison using same length, bore size, paint, and gun with them and has scientific data (which all goes to hell in paintball anyway) as to whether or not this does in fact work, please do tell!

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
I don't have any of the articles on hand, but from what I've read, that's what rifling is supposed to do, but it doesn't. Spiral porting actually does work, but the internal rifling (for whatever reason) doesn't have the same effect.

Spiral ported barrels are a dime a dozen so why not just get one of those, which is guaranteed to do it's job, instead of getting an internally rifled barrel which may or may not?

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Actually, as far as porting goes, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's spiral, straight, polka-dotted, or in a square pattern. I honestly believe that most people use a ported barrel 'cause it hurts their ears less than a non-ported barrel.

As for internal rifling on the Armsons: They cause wet balls to fly in a very pretty sprial pattern, which amuses many people and if you get close enough to people, you can actually hit someone behind a narrow bunker with that pattern. Of course at that point, you're usually so close that you might as well bunker them, but it's always fun to watch the spiral flight paths. Maybe you should wonder why the internally rifled barrels have all died out...

Ray
Relic

IanC

Jan 24, 2003
Searching for the pro-tour....:S
Spiral vs. Straight Porting

I've shot lots of different barrels, like most mag owners I've got about 15 of everything, we're a strange bunch really!

I prefer straight ported barrels like the Excel, boomstick etc.

And having changed to a boomstick style front for my freak i've found that "seems" to shoot better. i.e. straighter and more accuracy.

It could be the porting but i'm inclined to think that the big bore end sections of the straight drilled barrels just seem to match the paint better.

Ian :)

P.s. on my inferno I used a muzzel brake only barrel , good performance but christ what a noise!!!