Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Back to barrels again, but can you tell me why..

IanC

Jan 24, 2003
Searching for the pro-tour....:S
Boomstick Fronts

D:\coloredboomertips1web.jpg[IMG]

[URL=http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com]www.whitewolfairsmithing.com[/URL]

Richard, check out the above site, it rocks!
Very limited quantites, I've got a 10", and a 13" on the way when they are finished. Lapco tips soon, plus custom freak backs to look like a boomstick back!

Very cheap, cost me about £60 for the two tips including postage from the US!

I think they would probably be easier to clean than a teardrop tip but I haven't smegged mine up yet so can't be sure!

Laterz

Ian

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Originally posted by Paul_collier
What about the theory of rifled barrels having better contact patches on a painball......

Paul
:)
===
The only internally rifled barrel that worked for me was a J&J straight rifled barrel with no porting. This means that no spin is imparted on the ball, and EVERYONE knew when I was shooting. It was pretty accurate and it seemed to accomodate various sized paint, even though the bore was a little tight. Maybe the grooves allowed the larger paint to "spill" into the extra area and not cause breaks? I don't know, I just remember shooting a teammate in the head (backmen should not try to hunker down in low bunkers) and listening to him yell "OW!" in surprise.
I think any real "contact patch" on a paintball is actually bad... better = NO contact patch. I believe that's why the two piece (ie Boomstick) barrels work so well, and before the two piece, the elliptically honed barrels. After the acceleration section, the barrels widen out (usually to about 0.700" if I remember correctly) so that the paintball doesn't contact the barrel anymore. This gives those elves more room to push :)

Ray
Relic

Dragons' Frontguy

Bling Bling..
Feb 17, 2003
Aalborg Denmark
www.teamdragons.dk
I have shoot and owned lots of different barrels, I have even manufactured quite a few, my dad used to own a machinefactory, so I had all tools to my disposal... awesome!!

Back to internal rifling, I have both straight JJ and spiral Armson, and there is no doubt - they rock!! especially Armson is up there with the very best! On the downside they are almost impossible to clean on the field, unless you use one of the fluffy squigies...

Why the rifling or porting is there? - It is there to allow a controlled transfer of air in front of the ball inside the barrel, and air coming from behind. Not to put some kind of spin on the ball. If it infact does put spin on the ball, I'm not sure. However I do personally prefer straight porting, both in barrels I have bought and personally manufactuerd. I do think I am a little bit biased though...

I think the most important variables are barrel-paint-fit, quality of paint, and some sort of porting.

TOOLE

Banned
Feb 27, 2003
the way that rotating a projectile works is a gyroscopic effect. to see this graba push bike, take of the front wheel and attach the forks to the ground, or something big and heavy, with the rear wheel in the air. spin the rear wheel quite fast. now push the frame of the bike to one side (not the forks) the spinning wheel will, by the laws of physics, bring the frame cack to it's origional position, and so if a spiining pojectile goes off course, the fact that it is spinnin causes it to go back on course.

the same would be true for paintballs, if the fill actually sun along with the sell :p however, it might work with winter paint.