Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Backman Tactics

CrimsonDragon

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
I just started to play back for a team a few weeks ago but I really need to practice. What would be some good training things I could do to improve my back play?

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
learn to play like a front player, then you'll know what your front guys are trying to do, and you can cover them.
Move from your primary as soon as possible.
Stop people from moving forward, don't try to shoot them out.
Learn to wrap around your bunker to shoot inside/ outside the field.

Learn to shoot your gun accuratly the length of the field.

sNoW DeFiAnT

Apr 1, 2004
510-nor*cal-510
Visit site
get a nice long barrel like a 16" to push in those airball bunkers, it really helps. Otherwise focus on mentally scaring the other team, shoot at stuff that will make noise, like their bunker, if they hear 17 balls hitting their bunker every second they're gonna be pretty scared. Also like in any position dont focus on one guy too much. And be sure to yell anything you see, if you see someone bump to a new bunker yell out his position. If you see like a shadow of a mask or gun in a bunker right next to your frontman, communicate it. Look for small things such as pods and vibrations or movements in the air bunkers. Because when you slide into an air bunker and hit it it vibrates and rocks forward and such.

basically look, communicate, provide cover fire. Thats the backman's job

chunk.Clan

Clan, back for 09.
May 12, 2002
Lanark.
Hit the trigger none stop. If you can`t see anybody, put a line down te side of one the their barricades. Speak to your front guys. Know where they are and when they are going to move. Create oportunities for them to move and let them know what you are doing.

A little help. :D

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Put pressure on your front players to get up the field. A lot of front players procrastinate, and you need to remind them to get going. Of course, you must put in the opponent, so that these fronts have an easier time, but as big brother, hassling fronts is part of the job.

Merkin said wrap- do that.

Don't forget to use vowels. Back players should shoot a lot and talk a lot. You need to be heard over your shooting, so if your fronts aren't hearing you, try to speak a little differently- more vowels, more consonants, whatever. Eventually, you should find a mode of yelling that is clearly audible to your teammates. I find higher pitched voices easier to understand.

Don't just be a back player. Think of yourself as a second wave front player. Get up the field yourself, and pass your immediate fronts. Don't stop in their bunker, get past them and bunker some fool who was sweating what your little monkey buddy was going to do.

Tom Tom

Damn you ALL
Jul 27, 2001
Waterlooville
www.thinkingfortuesday.com
We played a team last month who zone really well (shoot a lane in a certain area of the field)

When we talked afterwards and we said Oh i was in the back left coke they could tell you who shot you out.

Shoot alot of paint, dont stop to talk.

Move if it is safe and keep up the pressure. Last training I was eventually playing back from the middle of the field.

Have fun

CrimsonDragon

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. One thing I have to ask is since gyroscope mentioned it is about front guys not wanting to move. I find myself in those situations alot. I can't move up because the bunkers in front of me are full of my mid and front guys. I keep on wanting to move up but I can't. I don't think I should be playing front since I am 6'4" 210lbs.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Have a little mid game conversation, along the lines of "what's holding you up?" Your front guy must have a reason he is not bumping. If it is because someone is shooting a lane he has to move through, maybe you can help him. If it is because he is a little Lord Fauntleroy, maybe he would be happier filling your pods for you and sucking on lollipops in your staging tent. Seriously, it may be that he needs more information or coverage from you before he (or she) can move.

And I have seen some big front players- not at the top of the sport, but if you move smart and you play tight, it isn't impossible to play front. You need a damage player brain up front as well as a small quick frame.

jimynomates

Oct 17, 2003
coventry
http
Originally posted by CrimsonDragon
I don't think I should be playing front since I am 6'4" 210lbs.
you sound like someone that wants to play up front but thinks that he can not because of his size.

you should play the position that you feel most comfortable in, I play back and I love it but in practice I will always play a few games as a front, in this sport your size will put you at a disadvantage compared to the "standard" front guy i.e. 5" and 100lbs but that just means that you will have to work harder at it and practice more.

a lot of people said that I could never play ball because of my size, and yet 5 years later I am still here and I am still 300lbs

have a chat with you team and see if you can get a couple of games as a front you might like it and they might like you playing there.

hope you find the right position front or back just make sure that it's the right position for you and have fun

jamie

ally

No Limit Bridgend
Jan 2, 2002
Cardiff/ Epsom
www.gbjab.com
As above, im 6'5 and still made the 50's just keep running and dont stop. Size is not a problem if you keep low. People say that making the back tapes is harder then 50's so there you are;) .

ally