Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrel length?

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
What are the Pro's and Con's of having a longer barrel over a shorter barrel? What would be a good "middle ground"?

Thanks.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
What you want in terms of barrel length is a suitable length to accelerate the ball and give you an aiming reference and balance the weight of the gun well, but not excessively long as to present itself as too much a target, waste gas, and be difficult to keep clean. Generally, the back (no porting, consistent bore) should be around 7-9 inches or so to provide the needed distance for the gas to push the ball up to speed. Anything after that is just for balance, quietness, and aiming reference. Some barrels are good at 10 inches, providing all that you need within that. Other times, a 14" barrel is wanted to provide better aiming and/or further acceleration distance for lower pressure guns the gas has a slower and steadier push that takes more distance. The middle ground is 12", which is short enough to stay close behind cover but long enough for balance and pointing. I personally specialize, having a set of 10" barrels and a set of 14", each suited for different paints and different positions on the field.

The sort of happy medium that most people go with to suit most paints and situations is a 12" .688 or .689 sized barrel. I would recommend DYE Xcel, CP, and BOA.

bm8282

Lite em' uper
Nov 19, 2001
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I have a 18 inch big daddy and a 16 inch Terminator..The longer the barrel, the greater chance of a ball break ( more distance to travel=more chance) the longer is also the better range, it stifles more, and its way way more accurate then smaller barrels, i would suggest a 16 inch to most people, and 18 to some.. i have to say 14 is kind of a waste of money unless u get the big daddy, cause i have a 14 inch of that too!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BARREL LENGTH makes very little difference to accuracy.... as Mr Onion says, different barrels have different lengths above which an extra inch or two makes no difference.... I've played with freaks from 10" to 16" and seen very little if any difference in accuracy..... what really matters is a good paint to baller bore match. In fact, if you have a barrel that's stupidly long (ie 18" or above) the last part does very little because the paintball has accelerated as much as it will already. The other problem is that paintballs have a liquid fill and there is always a gap inside them so they will compress mid air and no longer be truly round making it impossible for any paintball to be truly 'accurate' in the way a firearm can be.

Just my opinion

Kieran