Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrel size question......

ckennedy

Feb 28, 2016
It came to me the morning this idea. A lot of use will use a freak kit or similar to match the bore of our barrels to the paint we are using but.....

Would it not be better if the bore match was extended all the way to the tip of the barrel rather than just the first few inches? My thinking is if the bore is matched to the tip all the pressure will be kept behind the paint ball and there would be even less room for the paintball to move around while traveling down the barrel.

I know a rifled barrel is pointless for paintball but how about a full length bore match? Also would you keep the vent holes or do away with them?

Am I reading to much into this as surely a manufacture has looked into this?

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
There are many factors that affect how a ball is projected, and everyone will swear by the best option in their experience

The ball is propelled, accelerated, travels a bit further whilst continuing to require air pressure pushing it against the air in front along the barrel and then hits the open air in the atmosphere.

Opinions on the best option for almost perfect match, underbore and overbore all differ and every option has its benefits

There is a limited length required for the selected bore to have its affect on the ball, the rest is about continuing its journey to the end of the barrel and different porting etc assists with the balls exit

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Full length match would result in better efficiency and that's about it, plenty of companies sell one piece barrels with quoted bore size.

Pomello_man

Mar 1, 2012
There is a set out there that has the bore to the tip, I haven't seen many around recently though. I never personally had any so can't comment on the performance, but I'm sure it was a unitec kit.

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
Overboring= using a barrel bore higher than the paint size. +consistency, -efficiency
bore match= same size barrel bore as sample paint. -consistency, negligible +efficiency
underbore= using a barrel bore around .3 smaller than sample paint. +consistency, +efficiency

as for bore length while a longer bore makes sense for certain circumstances in paintball its usually inefficient as the air required to squeeze a ball consistently through say a 14inch barrel at bore match or under compared to a 5-9inch negates the benefits of under-boring and greatly undermines a bore match efficiency wise.

Sauce:
http://www.techpb.com/forum/topic/170307-control-bores/?p=2581511&hl=+control +bore&fromsearch=1#entry2581511

ckennedy

Feb 28, 2016
Made for some interesting reading. I wouldn't have thought under boring it would be the better option. So next time I guess I match it to correct size and pick the next one down.

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
Made for some interesting reading. I wouldn't have thought under boring it would be the better option. So next time I guess I match it to correct size and pick the next one down.
think of it this way, how many of the 500 balls in a bag are EXACTLY the same size/shape.... with an overbore its irrelevant as shape/size do not interfere with the fit of the ball but air will pass around the ball thus wasted energy potential -efficiency

matched bore will have some fit well others just barely match and some just roll through as such awful consistency in your FPS and occasionally air will do the same as overbore and pass round the ball -efficiency

underboring to around .3 will make the paint squeeze through the bore forcing the same consistency FPS and no air loss around the ball to move the paint +efficiency

a long control bore will lose air when it hits the porting as it tries to force a ball through and use the path of least resistance to escape (porting) usually 3-4 inches on the tip of your barrel

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Personally wouldn't bother underboring in the UK if you are shooting an open bolt marker. You do gain some efficiency but increase the chances of breaks if its humid (which it usually is).

The efficiency gains aren't really worth it if you get one break in the number of shots you get off a tank, plus how often do you actually run out of air?. If you're trying to get 40 shots out of a 12 gram then it is worth it but otherwise its not in my opinion.