Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrel size question......

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Basic site 'recreational' paint as sold to punters is the lowest grade, and is likely to vary a lot for size and condition
It generally is held by the site in large numbers and could be traveling back and forth between the site and their off site storage (to minimize the impact of burglary in a remote location)
They don't know if they will have high or low numbers of paint sales and absolutely must not run out, so will rather have too much available

At a walkon you ought to have a better paint option and maybe a choice of a few grades. Often sites will also let you preorder other paints as well for what you prefer

Anything above basic punter paint, is stored well and not taken out of the back hours earlier will be more likely to be a consistent size in the bag or batch

Just the consistency between balls and good round balls will give an improvement

In real shooting the round will ultimately drop off and veer at some point, but is a better design to keep it straight for the distance you will use it
Paintballs are like liquid filled musket balls and we stretch them to their limit of accuracy

Even first strikes with their fin that gives long straight line accuracy will drop off suddenly - the true 'first strike marksman' equally needs to shoot quantities over a range to learn how they perform at different distances and environmental conditions

Check out the hammerhead guide to 'tuning' their barrels below, they recommend a slight overbore but then that you turn down velocity a bit at a time until the balls get a better grouping on the range

https://hammerheadpaintball.com/pages/how-to-tune-your-marker-for-your-hammerhead-system

You may not need to get a set of barrels or inserts, that would give you the ability to change but if the balls are more consistent and in good condition then you've made a good step
Then keep your barrel clean with a fluffy
Even good balls can be sweaty in some conditions, and a bad batch can be horific but a barrel break will cover every subsequent ball in paint and they will be everywhere

Reactions: GRIMLOCK

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I use the method that gives best results for my style of play

Tournament play gives almost zero time to clear breaks mid game, so I pick a barrel combination that will minimise breakage

Having a couple of markers down with paint dripping from the barrel is a good way to lose points

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
I use the method that gives best results for my style of play

Tournament play gives almost zero time to clear breaks mid game, so I pick a barrel combination that will minimise breakage

Having a couple of markers down with paint dripping from the barrel is a good way to lose points
a good point with obvious positives and is why overbore is so common in practice (not mentioning the size of stock barrels supplied with markers i mean who has seen a .693 paintball outside of ****e grade in the last 3 years....)

I try to size match my bore to paint if possible (especially on closed bolt markers) and this does make a difference to performance.
but this is still not true unless by affects performance you mean negatively compared to either over or underbore which is what i am explaining.
i wholly understand that high performance paint (E.G Dye CG RIP, and high grade evil) will not cope quite as well in a tournament style play with an extreme >.005 underbore and doesn't really warrant the risk of a break but even in these situations a barrel match is worse than overbore.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I was shooting a 0.689 bore 16" un1tech one piece on Saturday

Given the HK premier we were shooting was small to the point a 0.679 freak insert was only just holding it... I guess I was effectively overboring

I didn't have a single break in gun all day

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
I was shooting a 0.689 bore 16" un1tech one piece on Saturday

Given the HK premier we were shooting was small to the point a 0.679 freak insert was only just holding it... I guess I was effectively overboring

I didn't have a single break in gun all day
that is an overbore, if you were using the 679 and it didnt roll but blew through that would have been matched a 675< would be underbore to the best of my guesstimation