Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrels 4 Players

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
Originally posted by UncleBob from ={DH}= SH!
Well thats one thing to consider, but the main factor is really the amount of air needed to fire a ball/pellet at a set speed. I did say this was the case for Air rifles, and it is a proven theory, but yhe rifling may have an effect on this.

As Air rifle barrels aren't vented or have'air brakes' in the barrels, (like a Smart Parts Freak/teardrop etc) then this also may effect it.

As I said, I'll try it out tomorrow, but any balistics expert should agree. :p On the principle at least. Whether it applies to our sport might need a look.

Paintguns are very different though....but there's a lot less friction in a PG barrel than a AirArms S420, filled with lead!

I'll post some results tomoz, worth a try yourself, see if we agree eh?
erm longer barrels decrease your velocity therefore need more gas to achive the same effect therfore are LESS efficent that short ones.....althou they are generally quieter

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Isn't it....... really short barrel doesn't push for long enough and wastes gas....... really long barrel introduces lots of friction and turbulence...... and anything around 12" to 14" is the best of both worlds? so the shortest barrel that can get you up to max velocity has got to be the best? I wonder what the absolute optimum is for efficiency and consistency? (for a given 'standard' paintball).
Anyway, they should change the laws of physics.............. an 18" barrel should damn well fire further!!!!!! it's just not right :)
Also, red markers fire faster ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Jose, glad to see we got another clear thinker on board, I have heard the optimum length for a paintball marker barrel is something like 7 inches.
This is the length where the optimum potential energy of the compressed gas has been converted into the kinetic propulsion of the paintball.
Anything after that is just less efficient.
I think Manike may well have the speciifc data relevant to this, perhaps he might give us a more detailed insight.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Generally barrels have a stepped bore, ok there are exceptions but most on the market today are stepped, the extra length is normally achieved in the larger stepped front section, the control bore (barrel back) generally remains the same length. Therefore surely the ball only actually touches the control bore and as a result does not suffer from increased friction in a longer barrel.

Paul
:)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
FFS...

Originally posted by UncleBob from ={DH}= SH!
Who cares! I only said it worked for air rifles/normal ballistics and MIGHT work for PB... jesus, talk about bee in your bonnet..

Remind me never to post anything with you around, oh high and mighty Nobbo...

The theory I wanted to test relates to the above and not PB, so in fact, it is with me.

Second read time old man.
Not high and mighty at all, I just try to write about things I have some knowledge of and not indulge in bullsh!t but feel free to continue with your posts.
But to quote a previous post from you :-

o...k... a way to prove this: Get a small barrel and a large one. Stick a ball in one end and blow.
The longer one will go farther..
Like I said - it works for Air rifles (and it does nooobs) but for PB, I'm looking into..

It would seem as tho you did wanna test the theory when applied to paintball....now if u really wanna mix it, at least turn up to the fight with a brain and give yerself half a chance :rolleyes:

And this quote of yours :-

Al very true and good, but one thing a longer barrel should do is reduce the amount of air/gas needed to chrono at 280.. the smaller one should be less efficient..

was in direct response to a post concerned with a PAINTBALL barrel so you ain't exactly telling the truth are ya when you just posted telling me you were only talking about air rifles etc.
Yawn :eek: