Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrels and lengths

nandakjohwah

Dec 6, 2002
new york/new jersey
Visit site
lengthof barrel doesnt increase range, it will actually decrease range slightly and the accuracy is better

but in order to maximize the use of a longer barrel, you have to higher the air pressure to travel through the barrel correctly

i think he got bored :p

For a given muzzle velocity

That's absolutely correct, the range will be increased by 2".

The accuracy debate is one that will almost certaily rage on forever in ignorance, but the fact remains that to get the best accuracy you must simply find the barrel length that suits you the best, for me this is 14" depsite being a front player, though I know back players who use 10" barrels.

Richard

Dan 2

Jul 16, 2001
Jersey
www.dur.ac.uk
Just to post a slight counter argument... A longer barrel may well affect the range of the marker if it contains rifled porting (or even rifling) as this will adjust the way the paintball spins in the air and thus how far it travels. Though of course to much rifling will result in too much spin and thus less range... Its really going to depend on the exact type of barrel waht the optimum length is for range...

Personally I think that the tiny differences that you may or may not get from factors such as these is unimportant... What matters is being comfatable with your marker, if you can aim better with a 18 inch battle and can still play tight... Use the damm thing! If you don't feel you can play tight with anything longer than a ten inch then use that. How you play rests far more on how you feel and how comfortable you are than any thing that the laws of physics can throw against you...

Hi Dan, long time no post

Originally posted by Dan 2
Just to post a slight counter argument... A longer barrel may well affect the range of the marker if it contains rifled porting (or even rifling) as this will adjust the way the paintball spins in the air and thus how far it travels. Though of course to much rifling will result in too much spin and thus less range... Its really going to depend on the exact type of barrel waht the optimum length is for range...
Hmm, rifling... I seem to remember AGD saying that they had done some research into the effect of rifling on paintballs, and they said that the majority of the mass of a paintball was the paint, which it was impossible to get to spin, and so spinning paintballs didn't really achieve anything.

Though, I have to agree with you, its all about how you feel about your equipment.

Glad to see you post again Dan, how long do we have to wait for another one?

Richard

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
but a longer barrel gives you a greater length of compression time i.e the time during which the expanding gas is acting upon the paintball and accelerating it. So there.
So, up to a point, longer barrel, longer acceleration time, greater muzzle velocity.
But on the other hand, if it's too long then you get interference from the gas and the ball can wobble, so the porting lets the gass escape and stops it affecting the flight of the ball adversely.
That's for firearms, with paintball markers you've a 300fps limit anyway, so it's just a matter of taste. And you have to admit the rifling looks cool.
After all theres only so much you do to a ball of gloop to make it fly straight.

What is the Axis?

Surely the axis of movement is all that matters... afterall a napolionic rifle used round shot didn't it?

Oh, and are paintballs spherical when they emerge from the end of a marker? Even if they were spherical to start with I think they distort significantly.

Though I may be wrong, actually this is the sort of thing that interests me, so if I am wrong please tell me why.

See you in the new year, look out for our brand new utra-sexy (or should that be 6E) tops!

Richard

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Yeah, but a minuet ball was solid lead shot, whereas a paintball aint.
Actually, I think we're agreeing with each other.
Weird.
He he.

The paintball must deform in the barrel, but that would make rifling less likely to keep it going straight as it won't be uniform from ball to ball.

Awwwww I dunno, too tired to think,

TonyF

Swarm
Sep 22, 2002
Essex
www.swarmpaintball.co.uk
Also....

As well as the paintball deforming you need to take into account that it is liquid filled, and as such in a rifled barrel the liquid would be under considerable centrifugal force. The paint would therefore be forced to one side of the shell as soon as it starts to spin.
Man this is getting too heavy!