Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrels and lengths

Graham-DV8

Girlz,Booze & Balling....
Nov 12, 2002
North East, UK
groups.msn.com
How about then that the "paint2 was made more jelly like so that it would be able to spin around simply because it was not like a liqud but nor of a jam tecture......

I can see it now....

"Anyone wanna go "Jamballing" this weekend ;) :p :rolleyes:

Sinner

Squirrel watcher
Jul 11, 2001
Norwich, Norfolk
Visit site
Paintballs don't deform when shot! One of the big pball companies (forget who and I can't be arsed to find the link) hired the Kodak high speed camera lab - the sort of place that produces those really cool films of real bullets being shot from real guns - and filmed a paintball being fired. Result? They don't deform.
Rifling (ported or using internal ridges) doesn't work, that's why 'rifled' barrels don't get made anymore. IIRC, you'd have to have a barrel about 14 feet long to spin the ball up to a viable speed.
A longer barrel isn't more accurate, just quieter, it doesn't make you more accurate or shoot further other than being a couple of inches closer - it's basic ballistics, if your paintball exits the barrel with the same muzzle velocity then it will follow the same trajectory whether you're using a 14" or a 140" barrel! A paintball is only accelerated in the first ~6-8 inches of a barrel, anything after that is just to provide porting to reduce the acoustic signature of the shot and to enable you to win the "who's got the biggest" competition.

Also....

Originally posted by TonyF
As well as the paintball deforming you need to take into account that it is liquid filled, and as such in a rifled barrel the liquid would be under considerable centrifugal force. The paint would therefore be forced to one side of the shell as soon as it starts to spin.
Man this is getting too heavy!
Actualy, what happens is that the ball would spin, but the liquid inside doesn't due to the lack of anything forcing it to do so.

I seem to remember this an in depth article by one Tom Kaye or someone, couldn't find it when I looked for it yesterday though :(

Jamball... what about marmalade ball. "Diablo shredless" anyone

Richard

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
I suppose the tipman causes backspin and therefore "hop-up" so it's like a lob shot, so it goes up and over, so it will go further but because it's getting more airtime, not due to greater force etc..
Correct me if I'm wrong, just speculating as a physics teacher, not a paintball expert.
Not dissagreeing with anyone there either....Rich and sinner are quite right about muzzle velocity etc... it's just that hop-up will give extra range (just like pointing your barrel upwards and lobbing the other sides back men. those crappy soft air pistols use the same system to increase their effective range) Not sure what it does to your accuracy though.