Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

best gun to start again

OLI170

Jan 10, 2018
What is the best "budget" mid level gun nowadays to start walk ons, rec and a bit of air bally stuff?
I started on an old school (even back in the day!) JT, then got a Smart Parts Ion that was a beaut at the time, then when I got into it properly and started team playing I was rockin an ICD Promaster, well nice marker, fast as and nice action.

Been away for some years so just wondering what to look out for thats similar to the Ion and the Promaster?

Thanks guys
Oli

maxxon

Feb 20, 2015
Espoo, Finland
I'm not sure what your idea of mid-budget prices is, but Etha2 is probably the best bang for buck right now.

If you want a little more upscale, look at GTek.

Etek5 if you absolutely want to have a poppet.

dfr350

Sad but true
Apr 22, 2007
Bracknell UK
No particular disadvantages. Maybe a bit noisier and not quite as smooth as a spool valve but if you can find a second hand LV1 (in your budget) you will be laughing otherwise definatly a etha 2 or gtek are really great markers for your money especially second hand. Gtek are usually under £300 sometimes even with a oled screen.

maxxon

Feb 20, 2015
Espoo, Finland
Well, no one's really making new poppets anymore. While there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them, they seem to be a dead end technology. Spoolies have advanced so much the traditional poppet advantages of air economy and reliability don't really exist anymore.

Some people just prefer the feel of a poppet. I know I still have a soft spot for them even though my main tournament marker is a CS1.

Arguably they are lower maintenance, especially if you play less frequently.

Also you can get used Etek3's and 4s for next to nothing, they are nearly bomb-proof and quite ok for rec and walkon play.

OldMan81

Jan 13, 2018
I had a feeling poppets had made less of an advancement compared to spools.

Do spools typically have more problems with FSDO?

maxxon

Feb 20, 2015
Espoo, Finland
Do spools typically have more problems with FSDO?
They used to, but honestly not really anymore. Assuming proper maintenance etc.

LV1 is basically the pinnacle of poppet development, and it was released like 5 years ago. Since then no one has released a new poppet with fundamental upgrades, and that includes Eclipse folks themselves. Eclipse and Bob Long are the only ones even bothering to make a high end poppet anymore. Or even mid-range, unless you count Axe as poppet.

Meanwhile spoolies have advanced on all fronts.

Vorner23

Jun 7, 2016
Ego LV1 can be had for good monies. I have used mine 4 or 5 times a year for the last 3 years and have had zero problems. They are very reasonable now. I would heartily recommend them.