Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Best marker for punter days?

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Back in the old days I had an Icon Z1 and it would out range anything on the field (especially automags) except another icon. Buy the guys icon for £30 (im guessing thats what he meant to type) + postage and get a better barrel as they use spyder barrels and there are loads to choose from.

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/NPS-Icon-X-Paintball-Guns-P7992C1356.aspx
We have had a few Icons on our site and they are always completely outshot by the Tippy's, providing they don't fall apart on the field:eek::rolleyes:
So that can only be because you didn't know how to change the velocity and were firing HOT

2 guns firing at 300fps will have only a minor difference in range as long as they are using conventional barrels and the same paint, any other difference is mere bragging "borrocks":rolleyes:

dfr350

Sad but true
Apr 22, 2007
Bracknell UK
The Z1 was from days gone past when I first started playing tournys in 93 or so. Mine was also upped :cool:

Put a good barrel on the new icon and im sure it would be more accurate than a field tippy.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
The Z1 was from days gone past when I first started playing tournys in 93 or so. Mine was also upped :cool:

Put a good barrel on the new icon and im sure it would be more accurate than a field tippy.
Duh?:rolleyes:
Talk about state the obvious.
Put a good barrel on "anything" and it will be better than a punter abused rental gun !...............(except maybe an Ion):eek:

Besides your Z1 was a real gun made out of real stuff and could chop down trees
grey icon Z1.jpg
Where as the modern day Icon Z is a piece of taiwanese plastic that couldn't chop down daisy's unless it squashes them as it falls apart.:(
icon_z_large.jpg
All that being said tho, i know of a certain gun tech who got his hands on one of ours and effectively turned it into a stealth killing machine......just shows what a bit of expert knowledge can do:cool:

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Half the guys on our team got Icon's when they first appeared on the scene back in the 90's. Didn't keep them for long though as they turned out to be an expensive pile of crap, and soon got nicknamed the "I've been Conned"

Co2 plume in cold weather on a syphon bottle (piss poor velocity & consistency on gas only) was like a fire extinguisher. After a few shots you vanished in a cloud of gas and couldn't see what you were aiming at, but you made a nice target for everyone else :rolleyes: The bolts also used to jam forward if they chopped paint due to bad design, and as you couldn't strip it without tools you were stuffed. Cost us a lot of games that season :(

We eventually all ended up running either AutoMags or Autocockers

Problem solved :D

dfr350

Sad but true
Apr 22, 2007
Bracknell UK
All that being said tho, i know of a certain gun tech who got his hands on one of ours and effectively turned it into a stealth killing machine......just shows what a bit of expert knowledge can do:cool:
The guy who was my local guntech was a wiz with an icon. Mine had field strip screws and a DAC power feed (amongst other upps) so it was superb. I still went to a cocker in the end and still have 2 and a sniper 2 now.

We are really off topic now though lol

Buy the icon or a spyder and save some money for other things like a good quality mask and barrel.

wingnutLP

May 28, 2007
Thanks for all of the replies :) I have been on hols so only just read them...

nuts, I have just seen the last reply!!

I had to make a purchase before I went on hols because I needed to get iit delivered to my hotel in the USA.

In the end I have gone for a freak kit and the 04 version cocker. I figure that if I want to start doing walk ons I can buy another gun and a different back for the freak.