Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Best reball marker for under £250?

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
UWE have finally gotten the insurance money for our stolen kit, and we're looking to get restocked. We had huge issues with our ions and reballs due to the spool valve design preventing the increase of force behind the bolt without increasing velocity. What I'm looking for now is a marker (or 5 :D) that will function very reliably with reballs so our new members can have a good experience and get into the sport. I've been looking at the slg UL, but I'm worried we'll run into the same problems. Anyone have any experience they can offer? So far the only markers I've seen running reballs consistently are poppets, but all of those are above our budget (ideally £200 per marker). Thanks

Dev

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Yeah, but unfortunately, because we have to buy everything through the university we have to buy new from a retailer, so 2nd hand is out of the equation. atm it's between the slg UL and the DP G3, but I need to know how they perform at low pressures with dirty reballs to really know whether they're what we're looking for.

Oh yeah, they also need to be mills compliant

benjy85pb

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2008
West Sussex
Yeah, but unfortunately, because we have to buy everything through the university we have to buy new from a retailer, so 2nd hand is out of the equation. atm it's between the slg UL and the DP G3, but I need to know how they perform at low pressures with dirty reballs to really know whether they're what we're looking for.

Oh yeah, they also need to be mills compliant
From what I've read on another forum, the G3 performs ok with reballs. However, the biggest problem with the G3 is not the reballs but the millenium capability. If you get it stock, the millenium setting is for the 2008 rules and not the 2009 rules, which means you'll have to upgrade the board which will easily take you over £250.

The SLG is probably the marker of choice, but I don't know what it's like with reballs though!

Another one to consider is the Smart Parts Vibe with Blackheart board? That'll be under £250, but again, I don't know what it's like with reballs either!

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
you need to take up some of the space in the fire chamber (ala tophat mod) to get most spools (mainly the sp ones) to shoot reballs without drop off

however the slgs are great little markers, like the rest of the guy however i've not had reball experience with them tho

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
you need to take up some of the space in the fire chamber (ala tophat mod) to get most spools (mainly the sp ones) to shoot reballs without drop off

however the slgs are great little markers, like the rest of the guy however i've not had reball experience with them tho
Exactly, that's the issue I'm facing here (and might affect you next year bro!). If I knew how to do it myself I would, but purely for the mills settings it might have to be the SLG UL (it is mills compliant I'm assuming?) and then I'll figure out how to mod it later lol. Still, if anyone else knows anything, please let me know. :)

For meduim or long term use of reballs you really ought to pick guns with a plastic bolt.

The problem with reballs is that they carry bits of grit into your gun.
Usually the worst damage is caused where the grit gets between the bolt and the body.

If you have a gun with a metal bolt, both the bolt and the body will wear out. Meaning you need a new gun.

If you have a gun with a plastic bolt, only the bolt will wear out.
Meaning you just need a replacement bolt.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
It's mainly the firing mechanism I'm worried about, the markers will be cleaned and maintained well so wear should be pretty minimal. the SLG is basically a hyped up blowback so I'm worried at low pressure it won't cycle properly.