Best Vs Worst thing about this site

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Originally posted by tb-303
THE BAD
It needs more women!(c'mon Keeley and Lisa you know we're here, tell your friends and start postin')
Thread hijackers!(haven't you heard of e-mail or the phone?) & The people who feel they have to post on every thread to get their name about.
post counts, get rid of these as they encourage the above.
lack of pics in techroom.
size of PMs, but we could mail each other.
Agreed :cool:
Agreed, although I might have done it once or twice, but not as a matter of course :mad:
Agreed, bl00dy annoying :rolleyes:
Agreed, look at all the "oooh I got a star posts"
Agreed, no idea why it's stopped, might as well be stopped in Speak than techroom,
It's already been fixed mate - I think it's 700 now :D

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Good:
It's a fantastic community for talking all about a sport we all love and enjoy, and everybody is so friendly and ready to give advice.
If it wasn't for this board I wouldn't have known there was an alternative to rec-ball (and would still be spending all my money on extortionate paint prices)

Bad:
People who don't understand humour :(
People who don't understand sarcasm :rolleyes:
People who get their backs up because they don't understand sarcasm :rolleyes: :D

If you think about it, *most* people will have got bored with "ooh I got a star" by about their 3rd or 4th star? so that's 5 posts tops per person. The bigger problem is people having big conversations in other people's posts (um, which I'm a culprit of... sorry... :rolleyes: ) but to enforce ppl to do it over email is a bit much, considering this is meant to be a forum? Better to have a section where we can have big group discussions about randomness and where anybody can chip in... which is kinda what happens in "Speak Your Brains", although it does tend to overspill I know... :D:D:D

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by QuackingPlums
Good:
It's a fantastic community for talking all about a sport we all love and enjoy, and everybody is so friendly and ready to give advice.
If it wasn't for this board I wouldn't have known there was an alternative to rec-ball (and would still be spending all my money on extortionate paint prices)

Bad:
People who don't understand humour :(
People who don't understand sarcasm :rolleyes:
People who get their backs up because they don't understand sarcasm :rolleyes: :D

If you think about it, *most* people will have got bored with "ooh I got a star" by about their 3rd or 4th star? so that's 5 posts tops per person. The bigger problem is people having big conversations in other people's posts (um, which I'm a culprit of... sorry... :rolleyes: ) but to enforce ppl to do it over email is a bit much, considering this is meant to be a forum? Better to have a section where we can have big group discussions about randomness and where anybody can chip in... which is kinda what happens in "Speak Your Brains", although it does tend to overspill I know... :D:D:D
ok but what benefit is it to P8ntballer to have a forum where people can spout crap to each other in? The forum is meant to be a place where paintball issues can be discussed not whos camping at whos house and what cd's to bring along!

Paul.

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Granted that shouldn't be discussed in the serious threads, but where's the harm in having a separate thread for those who want to discuss plans for the next meet or what music we like listening to? :D

I'm not trying to justify thread-jacking... and I admit I have done it without realising quite often, but I see this forum as a place for like-minded people to get together and enjoy talking about similar topics. If those topics wander occasionally I don't see it as being "bad", so long as they're confined to their designated areas?

Besides, it lightens the mood a little when I'm at work and there's sod-all else to do... :p:p:p

tb-303

Shootin’ fools shootin’ fools
Oct 8, 2001
wolverhampton, UK
Originally posted by QuackingPlums
The bigger problem is people having big conversations in other people's posts (um, which I'm a culprit of... sorry... :rolleyes: ) but to enforce ppl to do it over email is a bit much, considering this is meant to be a forum?
i agree, i don't have a problem with conversation posts if kept to themselves(juust ask ppl about our chat room thread about a year ago) but when you advertise something in classified and someone replys and makes an offer, then his/her mates join in with the "why you buyin' that?" "you sold your marker?""why, it was running sweet" and then have a random conversation it gets really annoying.

tb-303

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
i agree, i don't have a problem with conversation posts if kept to themselves(juust ask ppl about our chat room thread about a year ago) but when you advertise something in classified and someone replys and makes an offer, then his/her mates join in with the "why you buyin' that?" "you sold your marker?""why, it was running sweet" and then have a random conversation it gets really annoying.

Agreed.
I've seen other forums handle that scenario quiet well - for sections like classifieds and announcements, you have the main thread, but a "comment on this" link, which takes u to an automatically generated thread in the "spam" section, where ppl can talk all the cr*p they like about why they're selling, cds they like listening to and all that guff.

That way, any spammy posts in the main topic can be removed by the mods and the original thread kept clean, without restricting users from expressing themselves... :D:p:D

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
paul - I'm with you (and many others)

This site is supported (and paid for - it's not free) by an international magazine.

The whole point is that the forum is NOT here to serve as a meeting ground for a select few to arrange their social lives (whether it's through pball or not) in some quaint corner of the UK. It's so that anyone can come onto the forum and discuss pball realted topics in a relaxed, easy going way, without being trampled over by established cliques or thread spammers.

It's one thing to put up one or 2 posts of "Mate, call me I need to chat" or "we are meeting at XYZ on date 123, want to come along", everyone is going to do that to some degree, but another to have 20 or 30 post discussions on it.

be inclusive not exclusive.

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Originally posted by Beaker
paul - I'm with you (and many others)

This site is supported (and paid for - it's not free) by an international magazine.

be inclusive not exclusive.
Yeah, and isn't it a magazine that WE ALL buy? (if not, why not?! :D) Forms a neat circle, doncha think? :D In fact, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have subscribed to the magazine...

Generally, if I don't think a thread is relevant to me, I don't read it... it doesn't really bother me if there are a dozen threads I don't want to read, as long as the ones I do want to read are there when I need them.

Is it actually a written rule that we cannot talk about stuff that isn't either a question or discussion about pure paintball?