Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

breakwell : Your call guys .....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
It's amazing and ironic that it takes something bad like this to unite our players .. and when something good is on the agenda .. we seem to be disjointed and unorganised ....I suppose I should take heart in the fact we can at least pull together on occasion, it's not impossible ...... I [and others] just need to work out how we can get this sort of response again, when in essence, we are trying to help you guys .... luckily for us, there are people in our industry who won't give up and they do this because they have pride in what we've achieved over the years and we really can do again if the situation is right .. suggestions on a postcard :)

Donk

Gorrilaz
May 11, 2010
Clacton-on-sea
Maybe we are willing & we just need to be led mate?... You are respected within the sport & look out for us, maybe you've got the job (like it or not) of revamping the UK scene...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Maybe we are willing & we just need to be led mate?... You are respected within the sport & look out for us, maybe you've got the job (like it or not) of revamping the UK scene...

... been there, tried that .... Appointed Fed Chairman by my industry peers; 2 Fed Cups later I then resigned as Fed Chairman ..... and so ..... do we try again or learn from our experiences? ....... Now that's the question for me and the other Fed people !!!!

And if we do try again, what guarantees do we have that we have a pretty good chane to succeed?

After all, to try again, it means a lot of people do a lot of work for no gain whatsoever ... and ... a lot of those people will once again commit an awful lot of their own money to once again providing a truly fantastic prize pool .. I fear there is no such guarantee available even though if this self-same initiative was available in any other European country, the player base would be jumping over each other trying to be a part of it ..... there's the kicker in the bollox for me I think .. and it's a real kicker.

kamikaze_chris

"DODDSY"
Dec 3, 2008
robbo, you are a respected voice, people can unite when needed,? i think part of the problem is people dont truly believe there to be a need for the sport to move forward! they would like it to, but if it stays as it is alot of people are happy with that! Now if there were no tournements available say or really low par ones and the fed had stepped in then i believe everybody would of been behind it full force! i am all for the fed and moving forward, i supported both fed cups and enjoyed them both but again it to people that didnt see what went on behind the scenes it was just another event with another name!
For this sport to really move forward in this country there needs to be clubs, and players represent there club, etc like most other sports in this country, karate,rugby,tennis,athletics, i believe this would give us the stabilty etc, just my 50p from convos i have had maybe people dont like this idea and thats why it has never really happend. think that would make the diffrence between a hobby and a sport!

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
so the worm cam crawling back, only to be cut in half!

The "apology" was quite blatantly a case of say anything to get what he wants again! Personally I''m all for 2nd chances etc but as has been highlighted on here I still wouldnt want to be at a show knowiwng he was around. Heck he may even steal my wheelchair!!

However I do think he could be allowed back on the boards with his name as username etc (as already been suggested) as if his attitude really has changed, then surely the way he posts/behaves online will reflect on it?) I don't doubt for a minute he'll never play again as sites have already said they don't want to know.

The other thing is Pete, if he were allowed back on the field following you calling Rich, etc and he offended again, then he leaves your name in mud aswell and I'd hate to see that happen!
He's better off banned from the game, and I only hope he doesnt end up in other "shooter" sports (airsoft etc) as he will only be responsible for the bad press we could all do without!

just 2cents from a muttering goob!

Reactions: Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
robbo, you are a respected voice, people can unite when needed,? i think part of the problem is people dont truly believe there to be a need for the sport to move forward! they would like it to, but if it stays as it is alot of people are happy with that! Now if there were no tournements available say or really low par ones and the fed had stepped in then i believe everybody would of been behind it full force! i am all for the fed and moving forward, i supported both fed cups and enjoyed them both but again it to people that didnt see what went on behind the scenes it was just another event with another name!
For this sport to really move forward in this country there needs to be clubs, and players represent there club, etc like most other sports in this country, karate,rugby,tennis,athletics, i believe this would give us the stabilty etc, just my 50p from convos i have had maybe people dont like this idea and thats why it has never really happend. think that would make the diffrence between a hobby and a sport!

I think that's a great point because in essence, the whole UK situation was one of perception in that from the outside, the UK tourney scene was dying.

The leagues were hemorrhaging teams all over the place and the subsequent UK retail market wasn't so much down, as clinically depressed.

All in all, the prognosis wasn't good .... it wasn't fatal but close enough for us to wanna do something drastic.
But .. from the inside i.e. for you guys actually playing in the leagues, as long as the people who wanted to play had some form of event to attend then they wouldn't have seen much wrong with the situation because the team leakage had been incremental over a fair period of time .. this probably explains why you guys out there hadn't really realized what the fuhk was going on ..... And remember here, the industry people have a better handle on trends and situations because they have balance sheets to help document just how many teams and players are around .. and buying.

This was why the Fed was mobilised.. we had to try to staunch the flow and the only way we could approach that was by grabbing a hold of the events and making them a better product and I think we can all agree the NSPL and the CPPS are shining examples of this ... that is not to suggest that we [The Fed] should take any credit for that, Chris Pelling [NSPL] and Rich and Mark [CPPS] are the guys who made the changes and all credit to them.

And so what does this all tell us?

It tells us education lies at the heart of any initiative, as it does with most things in life it seems .... but that will only achieve half the job ... we have to have players with a sense of responsibility that relates to things outside of their own enjoyment.
We need to feel more a part of something, a sense of belonging and then, and only then,. will an emergent property of 'togetherness' be seen.. sounds a bit cheesy but it's true.

If we don't feel part of the whole then we got no chance, and as I said above, it seems ironic to me that it took a thread about a thief and a bully to bring us all together with one voice and one direction.

I had more than a few offers I can tell ya to go around breakwell's house with me, some were maybe hollow gestures, others half-hearted but a lot of them would have been sincere.

I'm not really bothered about that because I would have always gone on my own anyway but the important thing was, the feelings of a community and its protection were evidenced everywhere ... it just took a little squeeze and it was there.

I wish the Fed could find a way to get the same effect when trying to help improve our tournament circuits :rolleyes:

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com

Donk, I read this post [it gets sent to me even though you subsequently deleted it :)] and you make a good point even though you did compare me to a Jock ......

That whole idea of trying again is a sound one and maybe we [Fed] should ignore all the negatives but remember here, I'm only one person on that board and the others have all got businesses a lot more important than mine to run and so their time is I suppose a lot more precious.

All but one of my fellow board members are truly committed people [it seems even we have bad apples :rolleyes:] but they have responsibilities they need to put aside to not only attend Fed meetings but to also commit funds to the cause.

It's gonna be harder this time round to persuade that same degree of commitment and I'm not so sure that's even possible after last year ....