Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Campaign......the verdict?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
And not only that but I hear they werent too happy with the judging. From the sidelines it looked like they got shafted on a number of occasions I am told.

Has Graham Easton got the inside on that?
Actually Magued predicted they would bomb and he told me why and I can tell ya, they won't make the same mistakes again.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
As for the standard of play, well, apart from Joy? ........ :rolleyes:

We are soooo far behind it's embarrassing.
And to give you an example, Joy beat Method / Ducks (whatever) 5 to 0 in under 3 mins, and that is all 5 points being amassed in under 3 mins and they only lost one guy in the last game in the last few seconds according to Magued .. if that don't sum it up then I don't know what does.

Joy are a great indicator to the level of play Stateside and as such, we are in deep sh!t with the Millennium series already won I think. The places underneath, are just crumbs for which the rest scramble, and are meaningless in terms of competition just like a four legged horse winning a race when all the others have 3.

With the industry at present in decline, and with budgets being hacked to death all over the place, there isn't much chance of us putting together a team with sufficient resources to compete, basically, we have to hope they are dragged down to our level if we wish to gain some sort of parity.
I honestly don't see how bringing US teams into the MS would help?

Joy didn't get to where they are because there used to be US teams in the MS...... neither because they played the NPPL all the time (other Euro teams did that, and where are they now?).

Joy got to where they are by running the team like a professional sports team, practising 4 times per week.

Yes - once you have then done that - you obviously need to go out and play the best there is, to hone your skills - but let's not put the cart before the horse here.

For years and years the best US teams attended the MS - and what did it really bring us, except for entertainment?

Nothing IMHO

IF the Euro teams starts practising as much and as seriously as Joy, THEN there is a basis for change, to attract more US teams.... until then, it is just a waste of time I believe.....

Nick

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
And not only that but I hear they werent too happy with the judging. From the sidelines it looked like they got shafted on a number of occasions I am told.

I think it took them a little while to adjust to the refs in Europe being a LOT better - and more hardline - than in the US ;)

- And yes, come Belgium, they will play clean, and then we will see how good they are compared to the Euro teams.

Nick

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Nick, are you trying to tell me the improvement Joy has undoubtedly undergone was effected in spite of them playing in the US?
Nope, not at all - and you know I am not ;)

I am saying that opening up for the US teams in the CPL, while fun to watch, will bring us nothing, as long as no other team than Joy (and possibly 1-2 more) puts in the work back home.

I am saying that it didn't raise the level of play one iota in Europe, when US teams came over all the time - so before we start blaming the troubles of Euro paintball on outer issues, we should probably take a long hard look inside ourselves :)

Bringing in US teams will only be beneficial IF teams are as serious as Joy..... if not, it benefits nobody BUT Joy ;)

Nick

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Nick, are you trying to tell me the improvement Joy has undoubtedly undergone was effected in spite of them playing in the US?
In other words, the reason Joy are where they are, are numerous, but it is a sequence:

- First you need motivated and talented players that are local so that they can train together all the time
- Then you need to put in the hours - for years
- and THEN you go test your mettle against the best there is

What we are talking about here, is making a change to allow Euro teams to play the best - when the first two issues are no way near to being resolved, and as such it will bring us nothing - just like it did 4-5 years ago.

Nick

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
I honestly don't see how bringing US teams into the MS would help?

Joy didn't get to where they are because there used to be US teams in the MS...... neither because they played the NPPL all the time (other Euro teams did that, and where are they now?).

Joy got to where they are by running the team like a professional sports team, practising 4 times per week.

Yes - once you have then done that - you obviously need to go out and play the best there is, to hone your skills - but let's not put the cart before the horse here.

For years and years the best US teams attended the MS - and what did it really bring us, except for entertainment?

Nothing IMHO

IF the Euro teams starts practising as much and as seriously as Joy, THEN there is a basis for change, to attract more US teams.... until then, it is just a waste of time I believe.....

Nick
Nick

If you play inside a bubble you get left behind. You arent taking the whole picture here IMHO.

In the past Joy went out to the states and whilst never really getting battered they certainly never excelled. It is only this year or so that they are consistently taking from what they have learnt in the past (from the yanks) and having trained with the lessons in mind gone back with the skills sets to match them.

I can remeber going to play in the US in 2002 thinking we were pretty good. What a wake up call. Almost every team we played showed us a new way, higher tempo, gunning skills, aggression that largely blew us away. We tried to instil those into our game.

We wouldnt have got anywhere near that without the harshest of lessons from the superior teams that frankly were further along the evolutionary path.

You want to be a Coelocanth? Millions of years with no reason to improve cos you are fine just as you are? Euro ball is a Dodo, it hasnt evolved and the Yanks are smashing us up.

HUSH HUSH

Menace2Society
Feb 11, 2005
On The South Coast Baby
Taking nothing away from Ignition as these guys were due a good event as they did last year but Philly dogs did have a few ****e decisions thrown at them.

I also know one of the guys lost all his gear on the flight over and two of the phillies had to fly in at the last minute as two of the dogs missed their flights for some reason. The two phillies circled above Gatwick for 1 hour then diverted to Manchester, then flew back to Gatwick and arrived at the event 2x hours before they were due to play and could not walk the field. Thats a lot of travelling to then play a game.

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
Nope, not at all - and you know I am not ;)

I am saying that opening up for the US teams in the CPL, while fun to watch, will bring us nothing, as long as no other team than Joy (and possibly 1-2 more) puts in the work back home.

I am saying that it didn't raise the level of play one iota in Europe, when US teams came over all the time - so before we start blaming the troubles of Euro paintball on outer issues, we should probably take a long hard look inside ourselves :)

Bringing in US teams will only be beneficial IF teams are as serious as Joy..... if not, it benefits nobody BUT Joy ;)

Nick
Nick, what you are advocating is continued Euro mediocrity.

The simpl efact here is that the teams either arent prepared to train in the way you advocate or are so stuck in the past that even when they do that they cant compete anyway. Joy have been shown the way BECAUSE of American influence.

Most Euro teams simply do not appreciate the effort every second of every game that is required to compete with these guys at their level. We play some way off of that over here.

Also the ills of the MS are deeper than you think. Who wants to go and see Ipswich Itch V Aix-en-Provence Axe Murderers etc?

Teams pitch up, play their games and just get drunk now, the quality of the food and beer seemingly more important the quality of paintball on offer to both play and watch. Spectating is part of what many players attend for. There doesnt seem much to watch is what I'm hearing.

As Robbo has said, there's Joy then some way behind them are others in a little sub group and then way below them are the rest.

There will be nothing left to spend your hard earned at if the lifeblood players dont show anywmore.