Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Chronograph checks?

urbangreg

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2008
Walsall
www.warpedgear.com
at the end of the day if somebody is unhappy with the safety of a site, then it doesnt take miracles to work out that you shouldnt play there and if everybody did this then eventually the site owners may step back and think "**** why are our ticket sales down", then before you know it the penny will sink.
because to be fair us legit ballers want to be able to chrono our guns and not just for the sake of safety but some guns shoot awfull if there shooting way to hot. for example to old SLG proto anything above 300 and then BANG all your seals gone.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
at the end of the day if somebody is unhappy with the safety of a site, then it doesnt take miracles to work out that you shouldnt play there and if everybody did this then eventually the site owners may step back and think "**** why are our ticket sales down", then before you know it the penny will sink.
because to be fair us legit ballers want to be able to chrono our guns and not just for the sake of safety but some guns shoot awfull if there shooting way to hot. for example to old SLG proto anything above 300 and then BANG all your seals gone.

Just to clarify, you are ok with players launching themselves at the ground with this potentially dangerous object, all day long, as long as its been checked by someone who is on £40 a day?

urbangreg

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2008
Walsall
www.warpedgear.com
Just to clarify, you are ok with players launching themselves at the ground with this potentially dangerous object, all day long, as long as its been checked by someone who is on £40 a day?
TO CLARIFY I AM NOT HAPPY WITH PEOPLE THROWING THERE SELF AT GROUND WITH A DANGEROUS OBJECT :) however there is only so much a site can do, there not there to baby sit players(own gunners not rental players), they are there to provide a good day out for people (and a safe one) if people know of a problem with there bottle or marker thats dangerous they should have more common sense and not use it.

when you say "as long as its been checked by someone who is on £40 a day" i am not sure what your implying but i am civil engineer for top construction firm and i also marshall at sites and dont even take a wage i do it for the enjoyment of doing it(now i also know thats not the case at all sites not naming any but i have been to my fair share were marshall would rather still be in bed or in the pub), i check all bottles and chrono all guns from own gunners and i am proud to say i have not had one accident yet apart from the usual knocks on the head(unrelated) :). with that in mind i will also not allow anything on the field that looks pottentially dangerous and that includes people that throw stickers all over there bottles and i cant read the dates and check for crakcs, if the regs loose or looks battered that also doesnt go on the field.

trying to type this without sounding arsy or taking the piss, sorry if it affends you in anyway just my opinion on things.

Reactions: Bolter

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
TO CLARIFY I AM NOT HAPPY WITH PEOPLE THROWING THERE SELF AT GROUND WITH A DANGEROUS OBJECT :)however there is only so much a site can do, there not there to baby sit players(own gunners not rental players), they are there to provide a good day out for people (and a safe one) if people know of a problem with there bottle or marker thats dangerous they should have more common sense and not use it.

when you say "as long as its been checked by someone who is on £40 a day" i am not sure what your implying but i am civil engineer for top construction firm and i also marshall at sites and dont even take a wage i do it for the enjoyment of doing it(now i also know thats not the case at all sites not naming any but i have been to my fair share were marshall would rather still be in bed or in the pub), i check all bottles and chrono all guns from own gunners and i am proud to say i have not had one accident yet apart from the usual knocks on the head(unrelated) :). with that in mind i will also not allow anything on the field that looks pottentially dangerous and that includes people that throw stickers all over there bottles and i cant read the dates and check for crakcs, if the regs loose or looks battered that also doesnt go on the field.

trying to type this without sounding arsy or taking the piss, sorry if it affends you in anyway just my opinion on things.

1st, you dont sound arsey, dont ever wonder about that with me mate. Im too long in the tooth to get wound up by the internet these days :)

however there is only so much a site can do, there not there to baby sit players(own gunners not rental players)
but isnt this then a site that doesnt care for your safety? This is exactly like the sort of sites Liam and I play at, and you jumped on us for playing at "unsafe" sites, when in fact myself and Liam are quite capable of checking our own equipment. Yet you still threw out there that it may be we arent "legit ballers".

I know you probably didnt quite mean it like this, but thats how it came across to me. Like somehow you knew of all these legit places that check everything, and we were somehow a bit dodgy.

Its ok though, I'll only cry till I fall asleep :)

Reactions: urbangreg

urbangreg

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2008
Walsall
www.warpedgear.com
LOL - sorry i made it sound like that, last thing i wanted. you and liam have taken safety into your own hands then and thats fine but alot of people would happily go and play knowing that there kit is faulty and then be the first to point fingers if something whent horribly wrong.

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Chrono and bottle checks are one of the things that really nark me off about paintball. Virtually every event I play gives only cursory attention to either. Bottles are more often than not left unchecked and if their test date is checked there's not even a quick glance at the physical condition of the tank. Chrono readings are usually restricted to the start of the day with zero subsequent random checks or pre/post game checks.

Scenario/rec events are usually the worst culprits - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen players get their 'I've chrono'd' tag and then wander off giving their marker a little extra tweak with an allen key. I've never seen anyone kicked out of a scenario event for a hot gun, despite the hyperbole from organisers.

For bottle testing / general air safety, the Super6 events had a brief stab at trying to introduce some checks, although it was half-hearted with air safety training often only available the day before the main event, the training itself basic and enforcement during the events variable, with the air marshal wandering off halfway through the day.

The problem is that managing both of these areas takes time and money. Organisers don't want to slow the day down but aren't willing to spend the money (on more marshalls, more chronos) needed to enforce the rules and prevents delays.

Still, we're probably in a better place than we were 20 years ago with players filling from bulk CO2 tanks and judging fills by hand because the hanging scales were broken "ooh yeah, that feels like about 7oz" :eek:

Reactions: Bolter

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Still, we're probably in a better place than we were 20 years ago with players filling from bulk CO2 tanks and judging fills by hand because the hanging scales were broken "ooh yeah, that feels like about 7oz" :eek:
It didn't really matter back then, you couldn't over fill a co2 bottle and if it was under filled it just meant you ran out before you were expecting to. Personally i went by the frost line on the bottle method.

Last edited:

digitalman

Apr 21, 2011
Uckfield East Sussex
I don't play tournaments, but my experience of sites and scenario games has always been good, plenty of bottle checks and not just test dates and at least one chrono check done by a marshall.
Personally I check my bottles as best I can before filling and being honest if I thought it was in anyway suspect it would be sent off for testing no mater what the date, after all I don't really want 4500 psi going pop next to my head. I've seen the evidence of what HPA can do to a face and it's not very pretty.
If you see someone dodging the chrono or bottle check you have to ask yourself why.