The Home Of European Paintball

cocker experts wanted, apply within !

Aten-Re

P8baller Uk (Halo2)
Nov 21, 2003
manchester
Visit site
crazy

As someone pointed out as with bullets, the peak velocity is between 3 - 5 inches from the pin or bolt end in the case of a paintball marker. At the point of leaving the barrel both are travelling at 300fps, only three things can come into play

1: Gravity (so angle of shot is important)
2: Exterior force, such as wind.
3: Travel path: a ball could slow down faster if impeded in some way by something on the surface causing drag, or sheer, or a density change. Spin unless extreme would have little difference.

The type of push does not come into the equation, if you could thow a ball at 300fps from your hand release this too should be the same.

I suggest, claping your markers at a set angel say 10 degrees, use and indoor enviroment to cut down tertiary error, the same paint and the same freak set, and then radar at 30ft intervals. And hey if you really want to go nuts, get some half coloured paint and a high speed lense and check the spin. Then slowly change the freak on one marker at a time.

This sounds like a project to me

Skeet

Platinum Member
COLIN....Dont get into a technical argument with Manike!! The dude was flown out to the states from the UK, to build stuff like Alias Timmy's (think he designed it?)...he knows his stuff...appart from how to spell Analogy!! :D

The basic thing..is that the very small balls, sit at the bottom of the barrel...they dont match the barrel..so...there is a gap at the top...the gas flows past the ball quicker at the top, so imparting top spin on the ball...regardless of if its just the shell thats spinning or the paint as well, any top spin will cause the ball to drop off at shorter range.

As im sure Manike knows.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by Skeetmaster
COLIN....Dont get into a technical argument with Manike!! The dude was flown out to the states from the UK, to build stuff like Alias Timmy's (think he designed it?)...he knows his stuff...appart from how to spell Analogy!! :D

The basic thing..is that the very small balls, sit at the bottom of the barrel...they dont match the barrel..so...there is a gap at the top...the gas flows past the ball quicker at the top, so imparting top spin on the ball...regardless of if its just the shell thats spinning or the paint as well, any top spin will cause the ball to drop off at shorter range.

As im sure Manike knows.
Nah please do get into technical discussions with me. There are always points to discuss and ways to further develop understanding.

I 'only' designed the grip frame on the Alias Timmy.

The more time I spend in the states and on the internet the worse my spelling gets. :) I apologise for that.

As for spin, and the ball fitment in the barrel...

Mark where you barrel lines up when screwed in. Take it off and dust inside it with talcum powder. Replace, shoot a ball, remove and look inside...

You will see two lines in the powder still inside your barrel.

Clean out your barrel with a fluffy.

Repeat and then tell me if the lines are always in the same orientation in the barrel...

Gas 'flow' on a ball has no real implications on spin from my studies. Gas momentum can have. I.e. where the gas blast hits the ball if the ball is right up against the bolt face.

Top spin definitely can cause shorter range shots, and back spin can cause longer range shots, but you usually need to work at the mechanism of how to get this to happen. I.e. most guns don't have an inherent spin pattern unless they are designed that way (flatline etc.) Pressure acts in all directions and usually builds up behind the ball before the ball starts to launch.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
crazy

Originally posted by Aten-Re
As someone pointed out as with bullets, the peak velocity is between 3 - 5 inches from the pin or bolt end in the case of a paintball marker. At the point of leaving the barrel both are travelling at 300fps, only three things can come into play

The type of push does not come into the equation, if you could thow a ball at 300fps from your hand release this too should be the same.

I suggest, claping your markers at a set angel say 10 degrees, use and indoor enviroment to cut down tertiary error, the same paint and the same freak set, and then radar at 30ft intervals. And hey if you really want to go nuts, get some half coloured paint and a high speed lense and check the spin. Then slowly change the freak on one marker at a time.

This sounds like a project to me
You can't really compare bullets with paintballs, they are fired in a totally different manner through a barrel that controls the trajectory.

Gas flow must be part of the equation, if the gas flow is stronger at the top of the barrel, then the top of the paintball will have more velocity at some point. Whether or not it will make the ball have top spin is not something we can reasonably prove, but there must be a point where it would be possible to affect the ball.

This definately needs a controlled enviroment to solve it properly.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
WOW so what your saying is that i need:
An olympic sized sports hall
An industrial cleaning company (for after testing)
An military grade tracking radar
A few boxes of calibrated and weighed paint
A variety of top guns
A standard test barrel
Lottery funding..........
Oooohh bugger it, i'm just going to go and get shot a bit more !

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
and a high speed video camera to check for spin. At least we've given you a few ideas and thoughts to go on with. Try a different bolt.