Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Coil Gun

yorgie

Yorgie for Mod '07
Jun 2, 2006
Surrey
i don't know if i'm being thick, but in a pump marker, surely if there is enough torsion in the spring, there is no need for any form of gas?. I understand that in many markers an airsource is required to both recock the marker, and fire it off, but if there is arround 300foot pounds of torsion in the spring, it wouldn't require any form of airsource. I found a bit of pipe and after i managed to slice the ghetto pod in half (a sad day :() i thought i'd need another project for those lazy, hungover days of summer. So, does a pump marker require an airsource, if it has a powerful spring in it, recocked, much like a bb gun?

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
i may be wrong here but isnt the legal limit 12 ft pounds ? 300 is ****ing masses no or im i not getting the point

yorgie

Yorgie for Mod '07
Jun 2, 2006
Surrey
i'm not sure on spring torsion, and how that co-ordinates to velocity, but i guess i'll have to look that up, or get some, borrow a chrono and do some testing.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
I do know that spring tension air rifles are a complete ******* to cock and thats only for FAC ones at 19-30 ftlb's :)

im sure skeet will be able to answer this one ,he has a worryingly exstensive knowledge of firearms

craig_t

#23 vudoo's mofo
Jul 16, 2006
Aycliffe
i dont have a clue about the paintball side of what your on about but i do know about shooting and the legal limit for air rifles in the UK is 12 ft pounds.
Air pistols are 6 ft pounds or there about with the pistols!!!!

I know this isnt what you were asking about but i thought id say that it is air rifles that have a legal limit in the UK of 12 ft pounds lol

If this doesnt help itll be a bit of information to people lol as i shoot alot and that is how i came about paintball:cool:

If you have any other questions on shooting, air rifles, air pistols or firearms PM me and ill try to help you out best i can m8!!!!!

yorgie

Yorgie for Mod '07
Jun 2, 2006
Surrey
ok, i'll look into torsion in springs, i think that the ftlbs in air weapons refers to muzzle velocity but i'm not entirely sure, but i am sure that the muzzle velocity on a pb marker is 300fps, so all i need to do is aquire several springs with different torsions and test them with a chrono to see which is best for a velocity under 300fps. i'm sure skeet'll be on this when he signs in, to help me out, he'll know about teh velocities :)

oh and just for some humour, on the nation, some kid's told me that his daddy's transam is putting out less foot lbs than that - made me chuckle a bit :) http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1704905

craig_t

#23 vudoo's mofo
Jul 16, 2006
Aycliffe
Your right in that all air weapons have to be under 12fps without a firearms certificate (FAC) but air pistols are restricted to 6fps that is the law. Air rifles can be over that with a FAC but im sure air pistols are fully restricted to 6fps.

I am not aware what standings go for markers but i do know about air rifles and firearms as i shoot regulary with smallbore, fullbore and air weapons.

If anyone wants any info about shooting give me a shout and ill be more than willing to help you best i can!!!

yorgie

Yorgie for Mod '07
Jun 2, 2006
Surrey
i'd say skeet was the accepted firearms god on these forums, but thanks for the advice. a rifle as far as i'm aware is only a qualified "rifle" if it has a rifled barrel, and it's amunition fired - i'm not sure if length's an issue, but i've got a chunk of teak here if i need to make a stock to qualify it as a rifle - plus it'd look better with a nice carved teak stock :)

craig_t

#23 vudoo's mofo
Jul 16, 2006
Aycliffe
You are correct with the rifling in the barrel, i dont think there is a length requirement for a rifle to qualify as a rifle but i just think that there has to be the stock for the user to rest in the shoulder and sight along the "rifle"

Good look with making your stock out of that teak itll be a hell of a job mate but i bet itll be fun for most of it.

Theres a old saying as far as stock making is concerned, dont know if youve heard it:

...when you think the stock might be done theres atleast another 5 hrs work of sanding left!!!!

Thought id share that with you lol:D

Good look mate.

Craig:cool: