Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Converting Sheridan XTS from CO2 to Air

MadmanTMH

Tazball Highland Clanman
So I acquired, and have been in possession of, a Sheridan XTS for quite a few years, been sitting at the bottom of my kit-bag for a while after paying about £10 for it. Anyways, the thing had been running on CO2 before I purchased it and I'm now looking to use compressed air with it. Despite playing paintball for 6 years, I'm not as clued up on the tech side of markers as I'd like to think. :p

I tried using an air bottle on it with no tinkering, not expecting it to work, and lo and behold, the bolt just rapidly fired back and forth after a single trigger pull. Seeing as the marker was working perfectly when used with CO2 I'm assuming there's something I need to change/tinker in order to get it working with compressed air.

Is there anyone out there who's clued up on this marker that can maybe give some advice on what's needed?

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
What presure was the air bottle you hooked up? If it was an LP bottle it probably didn't have the presure to recock fully hence the stutter firing (think like when you can tell a site gun is running out of air).

If your bottle is an 850 psi output then it should work, if it doesn't its likely to be a problem with the sear not catching the hammer - it could be worn down or, if its been sat somewhere damp their could be rust on either the spring or pin in the trigger frame.

Try the bottle idea first, if that doesn't work try taking the trigger frame off and giving it a bit of a soaking in WD40 (just the trigger frame, not the rest of the marker) and working the trigger for a while to see if everything looks like its moving as it should.

If that doesn't work find someone that can fix Tippmann '98's - probably one of the marshalls at your local site - they are supposedly the same design inside.

Sorry I can't be more help - inline blowbacks are something I've not really worked on.

EDIT - you are cocking it before airing it up aren't you?

Last edited:

MadmanTMH

Tazball Highland Clanman
Air bottle I'm using is an Empire Ultra, 72ci, 4500psi, but I've tried with a couple other bottles, too. All the same result, rapid firing as if running out of air. Took your advice with the WD40 and took the trigger frame off to soak for a while, and every thing seemed to be ticking over like it should, no jamming or sticking anywhere. Same result again when I popped my air bottle on. Mentioned and showed it to my step-dad (runs the local paintball site), and he mentioned the back spring probably needing to be replaced if it was being used with CO2 before and then left in my kit bag for a couple years.

And yup, have been cocking it before airing up.