Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Could a Paintball go through 1/2 inch wood......Hypothetically?

slowreality

The Dude
Jun 14, 2020
Pelsall, West Mids
Obviously I know you have to be careful with projectiles etc but just wondering as the title suggests.....could a paintball smash through a 1/2 inch thick piece of wood (asking for a friend) :ROFLMAO: ;)

ant290

BOOOOM!
May 15, 2007
Southampton
ant290.wixsite.com
plywood.. No, Brittle old fence panel.. perhaps.

Not unless said piece of wood had been sat in the wet untreated and was already falling apart.

If I was going to build a thing to shoot at... I would probably want to use plastic, or be sure to treat my boards in such a way that they were washable... as that way the paint won't sit on them and cause them to deteriorate.

Not legal advice but.
If however... said piece of wood is a fence... you may well be liable for damages regardless as paint will stain it... and can easily drip down the other side... also .. you might not own that fence.

slowreality

The Dude
Jun 14, 2020
Pelsall, West Mids
plywood.. No, Brittle old fence panel.. perhaps.

Not unless said piece of wood had been sat in the wet untreated and was already falling apart.

If I was going to build a thing to shoot at... I would probably want to use plastic, or be sure to treat my boards in such a way that they were washable... as that way the paint won't sit on them and cause them to deteriorate.

Not legal advice but.
If however... said piece of wood is a fence... you may well be liable for damages regardless as paint will stain it... and can easily drip down the other side... also .. you might not own that fence.
Oh no said hypothetical piece of wood would be MDF about 1/2 inch thick......8 x 4 ish ;)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
SpecOps scenario paint from back in the day wouldn’t do wood much good, we could literally break branches

The danger of a lot of ‘wood’ today is it isn’t true wood, so once it’s got damp it will begin to disintegrate

For a target board you could get away with it, but even in the shed MDF is going to attract damp
If you check it before and after use and make sure whatever is behind is safe then you can use it. Put a blanket behind and if the target breaks in use then you have saved any disaster

slowreality

The Dude
Jun 14, 2020
Pelsall, West Mids
We put some real steal printed targets up onto sheets of plywood and covered with sheets of thick vinyl (probably 3mm)
These haven’t had heavy use but have survived occasional use
Yeah it would only be for the odd occasional bit of shooting practice. I wouldn’t have the money to be at it all the time :ROFLMAO: Just so I could loose a few hundred balls/ empty the air tank whilst we’re waiting for things to reopen;)

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
No a paintball won't go through 1/2 inch of wood unless it's completely rotten or balsa wood, MDF isn't wood so you asked the wrong question.

If your aim is to stop paintballs from going into neighbours gardens i would suggest an 8x4 foot sheet of board isn't big enough unless you're shooting at it from a couple of feet away, all it takes is 1 barrel break and the next shot could quite easily miss that board and go where you don't want it to. Site use netting to keep paint out of places it's not wanted to go, i'd suggest using that, builders scaffolding netting is ideal for this.

Last edited: