Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

CPPS 2012 Round 1 Feedback thread

KU Jim

Sep 28, 2009
Keele, Staffs.
Another great event!! Still finding mud on my kit though and it's all been washed at least once...
That said, and ok, I doubt this is going to be news to anyone, but do feel the new reffing situation deserves comment. First off, I do agree completely with the changes and the increased focus of the refs. There was a definite feeling of increased professionalism from them that I really liked.
That said, I played field three in the morning and spent the afternoon filming on field four and the disparity between the two was amazing... I don't mean so much the timing issues just the differing levels of reffing. Field 3 was run all day with what can only be described as ruthless efficiency while 4 was more a case of benign neglect.
To explain, I get why, but I think everyone I spoke to got the feeling the refs were being a little over zealous. We got 1-4-1ed once or twice for silly things that lost us games. Swings and roundabouts I guess as I know for a fact that at least one of the other teams we played had a similar experience during their game with us, but my guys are not known for cheating and so maybe just a little more leeway would be appreciated. I mean if a player whose been shot and doesn’t realise it plays on and gets a major penalty for a game altering move why isn’t there anything in place for recourse if the refs make a dodgy call at a vital moment. I’m not really complaining about this just putting in a plea that if you’re going to 1-4-1 someone for playing on, maybe wait ‘till they actually do rather than taking them out as soon as they’re hit. That said, I sat on Field three and watched one of my players literally screaming for a paint check that never came on three separate occasions. She was really upset about it afterwards and her only crime (given that all three of those hits were bounces) was wanting to make sure she was playing honestly. Having spoken to the refs on that field they were all nice enough but if I didn’t know better I’d have said she was being intentionally ignored…

I get that these guys are only human I was just wondering if we could try to reach a happy medium here. On the whole though, the entire experience was a massive improvement on the last season.
Other than that all I had to say was that I thought the fields held up very well. They were certainly in a better state than Round 3 last year which was the only other event it’s seriously rained on so all credit for that. As to the start gates, which were a little unpleasant to stand at (but nothing like as bad as EB2008 made them out to be), maybe some drainage ditches (with all the health and safety fun that entails…).

Think of this as praise by exception since aside from my gat breaking a few time and some initial issues with paint I enjoyed every minute of it. I really don’t know how you guys manage to keep improving the events like this

SabreWolf

Jan 25, 2005
Manchester
none
Just some clarification regarding 141 Jim, if the player plays on regardless of whether they know they are hit or not, they have to be pulled for it, for you its a game changing move but also it is for the other team on the recieving end if your player isn't pulled so therefore the correct decision for a ref is to pull the 141.
Being pulled for it doesn't allways mean you were cheating but never the less It's a rule and we have to enforce it because it is even more unfair on the team who didn't commit the penalty.

As for someone calling for a check, the ref doesn't have to check a player if the hits are in a self check area. And if we do check and it is found there is a hit you would be pulled for a 141.

Now this maybe why she wasn't checked, the ref may have seen the bounces and let her play on, or he simply didn't see her calling. Hope this clears up some for you.

Reactions: Havard407

Stigma

Why use a sword if you can shoot Planet Eclipse!
Jan 18, 2010
London
www.samuraipaintball.com
So Samurai MV drove up Saturday evening – since we had some things to finish off in the South before coming up to our first CPPS and unluckily didn’t have a chance to train on the Saturday. Sunday, we were immediately welcomed very warm with a “So how do you boys find the light mist in the north!” – which we all had to chuckle about.

In short – even if the weather wasn’t as welcoming, the people @ the event balanced it out. Great teams, we had a good laugh – overall a good day with some first new connections with teams we haven’t played before (@the boys from Domination: “See you at the next event on Sat. for some training games!”) .

I’ve reffed a few NSPL rounds a while ago and have to say it is definitely one of the jobs that you just can’t get thanked for enough – I made some bad calls for sure, its part of getting better at it by getting feedback and input – the boys on Sunday might have, but as mentioned in multiple posts before it comes with every sport.

If you really think about what reffs in other sports need to have (tests, courses, schools) which we don’t, we clearly either need to start thinking about that (US THE PLAYERS … since WE are the REFFS that are needed) – or live with the fact that the few brave souls that volunteer out there might just be “amateurs” and allowed to make some mistakes. Hence my props and respect to all you reffs out there and examples like Twizz who just throws a reffing jersey on and gets involved ... a salute to you! So next time you walk off the field after your last game – walk by the reff, shake his hand, and thank him for the day … they will appreciate it. =)

We are now looking forward to a “warmer” Millennium Series - Riviera Cup in France to defrost our feet from the “northern Mist” last Sunday and represent the UK in Div 3 – so every support is appreciated – but before we take off we just wanted to once again just thank Rich & the gang (incl. organizers, reffs, and the nice lady providing the hot drinks, and many more) for the day and our sponsors for making this all happen.

A quick “Special Thanks” for all the donations made for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust @ the LiPS & GI Sportz stand.
If you didn’t have a chance to donate this time around, you’ll find collection boxes at all our Sponsor stands during round 2!

See you all in April!

sneakysnorkels

Jun 18, 2009
www.sneakysnorkels.co.uk
Anybody complaining about the mud obviously never played at the old site, or have very short memories!

Reffing: on the whole I was more than happy with it. I especially liked the fact that the refs on field 3 took the time to explain to either me or or the player who was pulled for a 141 exactly why the call was made. It can be slighlty confusing when you have a guy screaming 141 at you and trying to piece together what went wrong. Coming from a family of football referees I never expect to get an explanation, just except and move on. So thanks guys.
Field 4 did seem a little slower on the uptake, there was no sense of urgency from what seemed like newer referee's. And this was noticed while I was watching, not playing, and in the dry afternoon. My boys didn't have a care in the world, it was their first event and they loved it. But I could understand why a few others had issue.
I know it's not their job to run around checking players, but if a guy is screaming 'hopper snake 2 ref' repeatedly with a ref standing a few feet away and not moving, you can see why they would be narked to then be eliminated by said snake player, another ref call the hopper shot but no 141.
Maybe it's just something we have to live with but it does seem a shame.
Anyway, bring on the next round, the cup and the rookie event!
Thanks to all teams, staff and refs, without you, we are nothing :)

Last edited:

SabreWolf

Jan 25, 2005
Manchester
none
Why thank you, it is very much appreciated, I think I can speak for all the refs on that. It's not easy but at the same time we strive to be as good as we can and when it is recognised by the players, it does mean a lot.

Roll on round 2 :D

sneakysnorkels

Jun 18, 2009
www.sneakysnorkels.co.uk
Well like I say, I didn't ask, or expect an explanation, so am happy to credit you guys for taking the time and making the effort.
I think those little bits of communication can make the difference between teams accepting what they feel is a bad call, or just bitching about it for the rest of the day.
I've always made a point with my players to forget the last game and focus on the next as soon as we are back at the pits, and to never argue on field under any circumstance. And for the most part they stick to it.

evoonline

CPPS Referee 4 Life.
Feb 14, 2007
Rugeley, Staffordshire
it was certainly nice to don my nemesis jersey and get back into shooting people rather than reffing for a change and a massive shout out goes to the refs on field 3 (john, chris etc etc). loved playing and being reffed in such a fair manner. bring on round 2.

the best move of the day for me was in the afternoon on field 3 when 2 marquees took flight and ended up on the field over the top of the netting. chris just had time to stop, drop and roll before being hit by those monsters :) cany wait for some more :)

Reactions: KU Jim

KU Jim

Sep 28, 2009
Keele, Staffs.
Just some clarification regarding 141 Jim, if the player plays on regardless of whether they know they are hit or not, they have to be pulled for it, for you its a game changing move but also it is for the other team on the recieving end if your player isn't pulled so therefore the correct decision for a ref is to pull the 141.
Being pulled for it doesn't allways mean you were cheating but never the less It's a rule and we have to enforce it because it is even more unfair on the team who didn't commit the penalty.

As for someone calling for a check, the ref doesn't have to check a player if the hits are in a self check area. And if we do check and it is found there is a hit you would be pulled for a 141.

Now this maybe why she wasn't checked, the ref may have seen the bounces and let her play on, or he simply didn't see her calling. Hope this clears up some for you.
Can't say I have a problem with most of that and I'm not blaming anyone for the stuff with my team as I know it all gets a bit chaotic and you guys do an excellent job. However, the latter point remains. Even if he did just see the bounce and allow her to play on should he not have used the appropriate hand gesture to communicate this to her.

I get that this is largely pointless as I don't know who it was and can't really find out now I just feel that this was an error (or a series of them) and deserves note. That said, it has now been noted and I'll not make any further fuss about it.