The Home Of European Paintball

CPPS 2013 - we need your input!

Race to 3 instead of Race 2 Prem A?

• Total voters

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
frobinson, same worry here, moreso because we have freshers to train, and cheers :)

Thorpe, I too saw the problems in the pits - the 2 minute turnaround was nessicary for the slots only lasting half a day, but I would hope this turnaround time would be extended for teams in the conference division - we are supposed to be newbies :) also, I really felt that having no slideline coach really improved my game awareness - something a newbie player should definitely improve :) I would propose that only podium competing teams do this final race 2 format, still no sideline coach, 5 minute turnaround between points. It would be a shock, yes, but also a good stepping stone towards Prem B. I would also propose that teams that consistently place first or second be moved to Prem B. Thoughts?

Reactions: frobinson

Thorpe

Lucky 15s
Mar 13, 2010
The problem with changing the rules for one division is making sure everyone knows about the difference in rules, otherwise its going to be a nightmare. And changing the rules doesn't really prepare you for Race-to-2, I'd say learning and preparing for the format is a steeper learning curve than the level of play (I presume we are talking championship here, not conference). You never know, Ains and Dyl might have a masterplan how to resolve this! Sometimes the best thing to do is throw yourself in at the deep end, but can definitely understand asking questions with what paintball costs. No reason not to ask for help from more experienced teams if you want tips.

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Just measly conference, we are but students :) also, yep, rule changes are always a nightmare! Would love to throw myself into the deep end, but, as you say - costs. I can't really afford doing a round for £70 as is, as well as the training sessions needed so I'm not too bad :) as I said above, I'm still torn between filming and playing, but if I were to play, I take it seriously, despite only being conference level. Again, cost is prohibitive even on this level - as much as I want to shoot many pods a game and be very aggressive, I simply can't afford the paint. When I play aggressively (jack-amo will testify this), it takes very little time for me to go through several pots a game, however, I just can't afford to go through a case every 3 or 4 points.

I do hope Ainsley and Co have a masterplan for conference, bu then again this is all still conjecture, I have no idea what is happening :)

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Just measly conference, we are but students :) also, yep, rule changes are always a nightmare! Would love to throw myself into the deep end, but, as you say - costs. I can't really afford doing a round for £70 as is, as well as the training sessions needed so I'm not too bad :) as I said above, I'm still torn between filming and playing, but if I were to play, I take it seriously, despite only being conference level. Again, cost is prohibitive even on this level - as much as I want to shoot many pods a game and be very aggressive, I simply can't afford the paint. When I play aggressively (jack-amo will testify this), it takes very little time for me to go through several pots a game, however, I just can't afford to go through a case every 3 or 4 points.

I do hope Ainsley and Co have a masterplan for conference, bu then again this is all still conjecture, I have no idea what is happening :)
£70 a round?!?! I wish I lived where you did! It cost us £104 each for 8 of us to attend the 7man! Even had to send 3 people on the bus from Edinburgh which cost us £190! haha

So does anyone know if they'll be a champs next year? Or will we just have to wait till next week to find out?

hipjaw

pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk // Reading Entity // #22
Apr 8, 2011
Bristol
pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk
It's hard enough for some of the half decent prem division teams to get 5 players out every point in race2 so when you have people in conference without the experience, who wouldn't think about picking up pods, air, paint, cleaning themselves, the 2 minute break would not be enough and it would be a waste of time trying it. If you want to play a race format you have to be prepared enough with 6 maybe 7 players so that between you, you can can manage the pits / sideline coach.

Making up some *******ised version of the race format with longer breaks would just be counter-productive, the games will run over due to the long breaks and so you might as well just play the same teams multiple times on the same day!

Reactions: Thorpe

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Ideally, if you are playing a Race format, you need 2 lineups of 5 players, a coach, a pod pickup guy, a guy to fill pods & fix guns.

Don't get so hung up on the cost, guys - tournament ball is way cheaper than it was years ago.

If you are concerned about the cost, bringing extra players to brings the entry fee down, and you will need them to play as well.

Regarding paint, remember that the teams you see in videos from the PSP, NPPL & MS have some sort of support deal. That's why they shoot it like it's going out of fashion.

"Suppressive Fire" is fine, but only when coupled with movement upfield and gunfighting skills. Don't just sit behind a bunker and blaze away five pods and a hopper at the frontside of the bunker facing you. Get up in the other side's faces and make them wear it.

Lump

one case one kill
Sep 20, 2004
in the ABYSS
Don't get so hung up on the cost, guys - tournament ball is way cheaper than it was years ago.
Really, how do you work that out ? Years ago we got shiz for free ?

And race to 2 should stay, its for those that want cheaper ball than Xball R24 So you have a three tier, cheap, indeterminate, expensive. We were paying between £55 £70 for R22 and it was manageable. If you then put and increase of 25% for additional paint etc. Then you just as well play race 2 4 as your back up in the £100 mark for playing. We had the best of both, those who wanted more ball could play two sessions as one was cheap and a top up. If you make them both expensive I think you will limit the people wanting to play

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Lump, I was referring to a previous post where a member thought £70 for a day's play was expensive.

And in case you haven't been following what I posted, I voted for Race 2 to stay as it is.

As for you getting free stuff - good for you. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to the majority.

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
All sounding very exciting this. Coming back into it I'm baffled a bit by the number of different game formats, full full full kudos to the guys who manage to run a smooth event with all that going on. Series events always overran and that was simple 5/7 man round robin.

Are there too many different formats? Just asking.

Like the idea I standalone events too like the 7-man and the PSP style event, means teams can hear up for that and jut do one event and training...if that's what they like.

The race 2 format sounds fun and let's e honest you don't really need to have a full pit crew an second squad, just an extra 3 players maybe who can prep between points. Playing back to back points shouldn't be a major issue unless you get decorated from head to toe.

A nice loud buzzer to start games is always a goo shout, head down, wait for the sound but I suppose that may cause issues with neighbouring fields?

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
The problem with buzzers is that, if you have more than one field, and if they are side to side or back to back, you get false starts.

Simple solution is for the head ref on each field to use a whistle. You should also watch the head ref when he calls 10 seconds - he makes the call to start the game before all the other refs, so you can gain a second or two on breakout.

Re formats, the basic team size is 5-man, whether you play Conference division or X-ball, so there is continuity there. Only the speed of turnarounds differs, and of course the mindset.

7, 10 or 3-man events are good, once in a while - but you can't build a whole series around them, as the demand just isn't here in the UK.

Even the NPPL has two of their stakeholder teams defecting next year, to join the PSP.

Last edited: