Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

CPPS round 3

Fizzgig78

The Cartel
May 17, 2011
London
www.facebook.com
It was my first time at this event, I played the breakout div with a mate and 3 brand new players who had not competed before and stuck around to run support crew for our div5 team Apocalypse X. Both had decisions that we were not happy about and even with the excitement and adrenaline still flowing our concerns were heard and dealt with by senior refs.
The way I feel is you can sometimes only worry about a bad call when it goes against you. Some refs were clearly newer to it than others, this is positively raising the standard of the game mixing new blood with old.
Both our teams walked away happy placing third to bad moji in div5 and second in the breakout div well done guys ;).
The rain sucked and Sun we did have a bit of a swimming pool develop down the bottom but got to say weather was great on Sat :D, as an observer not a player on Sun most were happy and enjoying themselves in the wet and mud (I have video to prove it).
I am definitely a CPPS convert the standards of the safe area, playing fields, refs and staff generally were all excellent in my book and a credit to the work you've put in Ainsley I know there is already a buzz amongst our teams about next round.
Thanks again LiPs, and GI for our paint and our namesake who also sponsors us Apocalypse paintball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ainsley

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
Thanks for the kind words......the "pool" has already been solved lol - we've dug out the area there and exposed the main drain we put in at the start of the season and refilled with pea gravel. After doing it the puddle was gone within the hour! Our sincere apologies for any trench foot caused. However, the rain has highlighted what areas we need to raise slightly and we'll be doing this soon. Not that we're expecting another wet event, but we're all about reinvestment and prevention ;)

We're just happy we made the decision to get the staging area done in the first place. It was a hell of a lot of work, but not standing in mud makes it all worth it.

Roll on the sunshine.......

Dobby

CPPS Ref
Feb 14, 2010
Manchester
The weather was a little crap, but overall, had a top day! Cheers for another successful event Ains + Crew!

Last edited:

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
Another great event as always! CPPS really is by far and away the best tournament scene in the UK, and we're lucky to have Ainsley and the rest of his crew with drive, passion, and determination to really improve on what they've already done, which is always good to see from a players perspective.

The refereeing again was of a great standard, again, by far the best standard of reffing in any UK event. I believe we had the young referee on the Division 4 field who took a bot of slating from a previous round when he was on the Elite or Division 1 field, but I just want to say how well he did. He was easily the most enthusiastic, probably the nicest referee you'll ever come across as well, so give him an extra pat on the back from me for all his hard work, it's not easy job at any age, let alone being that young and having to control people who could well be older than his Dad, but all credit to him, great asset to your refereeing team there Ainsley! And just in general a big thank you to all the ref's and officials on our field for standing out there in the pouring rain, if it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't have such a great event to attend, and the day ran very smoothly, and i think the new way they ran the preliminaries and finals games worked really well.

But on the note of constructive criticism, the only thing i would mention would be the speed of giving decisions from the referee's. One particular incidient I saw, one player had a hit on him which he hadn't seen and was continuing to post up and shoot, he got called out and a 1-4-1 was given, but the referee took a very casual pace when going to pull the player for the 1-4-1, by which time he had run up one side of the field and hung the flag before getting called out. I'm not sure how that affected the outcome of the point, but it's just something I thought I would raise for your feedback with the refs.

Anyway, thanks again for another great event, I can't wait to be back again for Round 4!

Reactions: StubbsPKS

PreacherMan

Like a moth to the flame
Nov 2, 2006
Midlands
But on the note of constructive criticism, the only thing i would mention would be the speed of giving decisions from the referee's. One particular incidient I saw, one player had a hit on him which he hadn't seen and was continuing to post up and shoot, he got called out and a 1-4-1 was given, but the referee took a very casual pace when going to pull the player for the 1-4-1, by which time he had run up one side of the field and hung the flag before getting called out. I'm not sure how that affected the outcome of the point, but it's just something I thought I would raise for your feedback with the refs.
Anyway, thanks again for another great event, I can't wait to be back again for Round 4!
I think I know which game this happened in and the Ref got it Right, .... the player shooting was eliminated as he or his team mate shot the last player of the other team out and was unaware he had a hit on him, he was given a 1 - 4- 1 however the ref casually followed the last player who on hanging the flag to END the game, was given a 1 -4 - 1 and the game was a draw (five man game) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen

Gavin - 44pix

44pix Paintball Photography
Jun 16, 2008
www.facebook.com
Hello all!!
For some of You it will sound and look like "something impossible" to happen but it was like that. After first round I was happy to see improvement in reffing. Had to passed the second- can say nothing. After third round- looks like it is impossible to force( cant find another expression ) referees to do their job good, correct me if I am wrong:
- he will not be sacked, if he does his job wrong;
- he will be payed, doesn't matter how he does his job;
- he has no responsibility to do his job good.

At the end of the day, I am the customer, I am paying the money and buying the product- CPPS and I want to receive a product of good quality and worth of the money I payed and what I get now?

Would like to end with bright and cheerful temper, but cant. Because few individuals, who think that they are the most important figures on the field, are destroying what others are building with heart and passion. Sad.

Yes, you are a paying customer. However, I feel you may need to lower your expectations a few notches! ...

I struggle to understand how CPPS can put on such a great series covering 5 fields and pushing towards 100 teams, whilst keeping entry prices down. I'm sure CPPS could try and import the best ref across the world to ref the series, however this would incur additional costs which would be passed down to 'the customer'. Would you and your team be willing to pay more to allow CPPS to recuit or train ref to ensure high consistency across the divisions? Would you be willing to pay similar entry fee's that the Mills charge to secure top refs? Where do you think these ref's come from... the University of Paintball Refereeing. Ref's need to learn their trade, and thats on a live paintball field.

There's a fine line. I've seen young, new players being pulled out and penalised because they don't know the rules. This can and has put young and new players off from paintball full stop. I expect ref's down in the lower divisions to be more lenient than those in the top divisions. Again, expectations.

It was cold and wet - difficult conditions to play and ref in. Personally, I feel the ref'ing at CPPS is at a bloody good level and take my hat off to them, because without them tournament paintball would not exist.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. Personally, CPPS are offering significantly more than other domestic tournaments whilst keeping entry prices down. If you aren't happy with the 'product', and don't feel that the brand is responding to feedback, then as a paying customer you are entitled to take your money else where.

Re: Start Sound. Yeah, the wind made it difficult to hear the start buzzer. I'm sure the guys will take a look into this, but 'ballers need to start using their heads - why dont you take a look at the ref closest to the scoring tent? ... the downwards motion of his arms should give you an decent indication of when the games start... or count down from ten when 'TEN SECONDS' is called out.

Re: Prize pools. Fair play for CPPS and its partners for this. Again, its a shame to read negative comments regarding prizes. Are people seriously playing paintball to win a tangible prize? ... Do players set out in the morning thinking about winning a GI Air Bottle at the end of the day. What the f*** happened to the being the best of your division, or beating a the top team in your group, or picking up your first podium as a baller.

Side note: I seriously give Ainsley, CPPS and OKPB a bow. I could not invest the time, effort and money that they have invested into CPPS to come back and read some of the comments and feedback received on this forum from the minority. They have put on a series which is as close as you are going to get to the Millenniums, whilst keeping entry fee's down! They have improve the fields to reduce the impact caused by the weather gods. They have gone above and beyond on many aspects, and have a series and brand to be proud of!

Well done guys. You know you're doing a bloody good job! Keep it up!