Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Credit crunch

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
I don't build 'em but i know there have been a lot of complaints about quality of late. We cut over 100 people 3 months ago, now looking at another 80 or so. Not massive numbers but it is still 30% of the workforce.

Overtime ban in place, shift allowances cut, and possibly moving to a 4 day week, or closing for one week every month to save on running costs. A lot of guys are looking at a 40% cut in wages, which incidentally make up 6-8% of the final cost of a forklift. Shows you how desperate they are to cut costs.
Its better moving to a 4 day week and losing a whole week in the month than having no job at all :) not ideal, frustrating yes, but surviving is a must.

On another note, dealing with the credit crunch can come down to attitude sometimes aswell. What I mean is I have friends that have been made redundant, some have sat around expecting jobs to come to them and remain unemployed. Some have ordered 500 business cards and hand mailed them through doors in our area and now have work booked up through January.

Chin up, confidence and maybe a different plan of action is in order.

arg1271

All the gear, no idea
Apr 6, 2006
Mooching round the 50, with the flag
I'm not really sure what to make of this post or some of the comments that have been made, on one hand there are people who have and are being affected to varying extents and are therefore watching their cashflow. I hope things improve and things don't get too bad.
On the other hand we have people who say that they are not and possibly will not be affected, going on about getting payrises, buying new cars, multiple properties etc. ask yourselves - is this really something we want to or need to know?

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
I'm not really sure what to make of this post or some of the comments that have been made, on one hand there are people who have and are being affected to varying extents and are therefore watching their cashflow. I hope things improve and things don't get too bad.
On the other hand we have people who say that they are not and possibly will not be affected, going on about getting payrises, buying new cars, multiple properties etc. ask yourselves - is this really something we want to or need to know?
Their point is not for you to get jealous, more to let you know things arent as bad as it seems for some. We will all be affected, its how you handle it thats key.

pid

blah blah blah
Aug 27, 2005
in the thick of it
Visit site
In my job i've seen a steady increase in people getting into trouble. i work for a bank in "collections", (great time for job security in this trade) and over the last 3 month's i've gone from around 20 people a week going bankrupt/insolvent to around 50-60. no joke.
On the other hand, as my job is to chase people for money, a lot of people are using this an excuse. "oh i can't pay you, there's a Credit Crunch". which is bull for them cos i know their situation better than they do.
I have spoken to a lot in the building/construction trade, work coming to a complete stop etc. I hope anyone in that business finds a good path soon. Best of luck to you.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
I have spoken to a lot in the building/construction trade, work coming to a complete stop etc. I hope anyone in that business finds a good path soon. Best of luck to you.
It's time for me to upset people now!:eek:
I have a few mates in the building industry that have been caning the ar$e out of the job and earning megabucks for some considerable time now, wages far, far above anything i could ever dream of earning. They've bought big houses, fast cars, high maintenance women, expensive holidays, and some ridiculously expensive toys, (jet ski's, track day cars, motorbikes etc).

And now they expect us to feel sympathy for them because their job has died on it's ar$e and they've no money left because they've pi$$ed it all up the wall, instead of securing their houses and futures while they were earning it.:mad:

Same as the B(W)ankers who have earn't many thousands of pounds above the average national income but now expect the government to bail them out because of this so called crisis.

Why should we give a toss or an ounce of sympathy or financial support for these reckless twonks who could have seen themselves right many times over?
Next we'll be giving handouts to the lottery winner who blew his millions on a stable full of 3 legged race horses.

You had it, you blew it, tuff get over it.:mad:

Support your woolworths worker, or your local steel industry, but let the Twonks fall on their ar$e.:eek:

TomMcTaf

Dec 16, 2008
London
It's time for me to upset people now!:eek:
I have a few mates in the building industry that have been caning the ar$e out of the job and earning megabucks for some considerable time now, wages far, far above anything i could ever dream of earning. They've bought big houses, fast cars, high maintenance women, expensive holidays, and some ridiculously expensive toys, (jet ski's, track day cars, motorbikes etc).
.:eek:

Yeah, i work in construction, for the last few years and their has been alot of money and job security. But the industry was also hard hit in the early 90's when alot of people also lost their jobs. That said construction professionals and are not the most well paid in contrast to other professionals, and not all the tradesman earn mega bucks! This is also a job where you are expected to do ma 10 - 12 hour day. Not like some 36 hour council job :)

Also its really only the housing/building market atm in difficulties, in construction, i work on civils projects, which are mostly public funded which also gives alot of security.

I just hope the government cuts through the red tape to get alot more big projects off the ground so the average builder can find work now, and not in a years time

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
I'm in my first year of uni, and we're practically the last year to be assured a decent amount of grant and loan to be able to fund university. There'll be a lot less students this year coming, they're cutting the amount of money they can give us, and with alot of people struggling parents won't be able to help out.
That beng said, I know I'm fanacially stable for the next two and a half years, even if it does leave me in a large amount of debt afterwards.
And, hopefully, the economy will starting to get back on it's feet by that time, meaning getting a job won't be as difficult as it is now.
:)
As for paintball, there's nothing around my university to play at anyway. But I will be playing my local park at home when I'm back, giving them a bit of business.
The crunch really is scary, and it is affecting almost everything. There are about three large stores that have closed down in kidderminster in the past month, and you can tell others are struggling. But, like i said, hopefully it'll begin to look a bit better soon.