Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Credit crunch

JDO

Jon & Chris rock my socks
May 13, 2008
London
I agree that the worst part of the credit crunch is still yet to come. However, is it really necessary for the media to portray this time with such a 'doom and gloom' attitude?

I propose that we rename the current situation; the money munch.

This will hopefully make the whole thing a bit more jolly and a tad less depressing for us all.

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
How will it effect paintball ... ? I think only time will tell. We'll have to wait and see how many teams are rolling out to play the national series events when they start in the spring.

Die-hard 'ballers may give up other luxuries before paintball. But if it was hard to talk newbies into buying kit and taking part in £80-a-day tournaments for the last few years then it will be nigh impossible now.

On the plus side for national events there may be a resurgance of players who have been playing the Millenium return to playing locally as it is cheaper !

SJS

Karma Monkey Spunk?
Dec 7, 2008
North East, Sunderland
i was down bz the other day, they were saying how it hasnt really effected them and the international sales have boomed.

They where getting orders from every where like germany ect...

but im geussing that thats due to the GBP being crap atm.

Vox900

Loki
Sep 22, 2008
Cambridge
I thought the credit crunch was a cereal?:rolleyes:

I think that the economy needs to sort it's self out, and to get rid of all the excess baggage (Woolworths if you will) it needs to get rid of the failing businesses etc and return steadily.

paintball_scots

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2008
glasgow
I thought the credit crunch was a cereal?:rolleyes:

I think that the economy needs to sort it's self out, and to get rid of all the excess baggage (Woolworths if you will) it needs to get rid of the failing businesses etc and return steadily.
Woolworths was amazing
the pick and mix was godly
and no where else could you get such an amazing selection of crap.

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
Return steadily? What are you on about? The UK realised that it wouldn't be able to carry on selling houses to each other the hard way.
It's not going to get much better until either we find ourselves a decent export (Gordon thinks it'll be technology, but we have to wait for the Far East to die off before that will happen) or someone takes a significant enough risk to kickstart the shambles of a housing market.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Return steadily? What are you on about? The UK realised that it wouldn't be able to carry on selling houses to each other the hard way.
It's not going to get much better until either we find ourselves a decent export (Gordon thinks it'll be technology, but we have to wait for the Far East to die off before that will happen) or someone takes a significant enough risk to kickstart the shambles of a housing market.
One of the UK's biggest exports was / is still banking. You don't need to produce a physical item, to be a net exporter. The best way our of the recession is restore confidence in the banking swctor to free up the supply of credit (obviously the best way would really be to reduce consumer demand for Credit, but you've got more chance of seeing rocking horse sh*t).

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
Stop it Glen... you scare me when your sensible!!

As for the credit crunch not hitting the north east as someone mentioned above I care to differ. I'm an IT consultant and this week alone we have had letters about 2 of our clients going into recievership, and I can probably name at least one more who will follow suit in the next few weeks. Between these companys there is probably 200 members of staff.

Also in the past few months while I'm driving round I have seen the closure of 3 or 4 considerable sized car dealerships.

Combine this with the increasing number of to let signs I'm seeing and the massive ammount of for sale signs and no sold signs!

I'd like to think my job is safe but have no clue what the future holds, theres a big domino effect going on all over the place. I can see along with the 1200 Nissan have laid off a cloisure of many local business who supply them as they cut production.

Maybe I see it too simplisticly (Glen will know better) but to me this whole cluster f*ck has been caused by banks over extending and giving credit to people who should never have qualified for it in the first place, and also all these companies kicking about making it too easy to declare yourself bankrupt and/or get debt written off...

I had planned on selling up here and moving to Canada with the wife and little one next year. Sadly though my house has hit by a 20k drop in value (assuming I could actually sell it) and the canadian $ has dropped by about 25% on the £ as well.... happy days!

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Maybe I see it too simplisticly (Glen will know better) but to me this whole cluster f*ck has been caused by banks over extending and giving credit to people who should never have qualified for it in the first place, and also all these companies kicking about making it too easy to declare yourself bankrupt and/or get debt written off...
Although the issue of consumer debt is a real one, the increase in consumer default is not the reason for the crunch. Basiclly all banks finance themselves on a daily basis, and when banks started to realise that a lot of the banks they were lending to had massively shaky balance sheets (over valued and over-rated CDO's, asset backed securities etc), they basiclly either stopped lending to each other or ramped up the financing spreads (so much so that any Bank of England reduction in rates has FA affect on the supply of money in the UK).

Obviously as the recession gets worse, we'll see the riskier debts and defaults rise but this is symptomatic in the UK, not the cause. Although credit had been easier to attain in the UK, it was still much harder than in the US, where mortgage mis-selling and extended credit (due to lack of sound regulation) is a primary cause of the crunch. Basiclly the trillion odd dollars of Mortgage Backed US Securities that banks used to sit on as triple A rated bonds to prop up the balance sheet, were worth close to f**k all.

Throw in stupid press reporting and a general market capitulation and that's why were in the mess we are.

Although after 15 years in the industry, I'm quite looking forward to being on the rock n roll for the next year. Might actually get the house finished.

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
One of the UK's biggest exports was / is still banking. You don't need to produce a physical item, to be a net exporter. The best way our of the recession is restore confidence in the banking swctor to free up the supply of credit (obviously the best way would really be to reduce consumer demand for Credit, but you've got more chance of seeing rocking horse sh*t).
I agree with you, but do you not think it's time for the UK to find a more reliable export? I recognise that no physical item needs to be exported, but there are many more stable things to sell.

Completely agree about the ridiculous way the media has slammed the breaks on most lending in the country though.