Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Critical Mass

pestilence

www.ppemporium.com
Jul 6, 2001
Cambs, England
WWW.PPEMPORIUM.CO.UK
No Robbo! Not you too! Don't fall for this fear culture that permeates the modern press!

We may be in the biggest recession since the 30's but just look at the standard of living!! I have one wage, live in an affluent area of the country and have a job just above the national average wage, I have 3 small kids and a wife that gave up her career to look after them. I come from a working class background and get no help from my family what so ever. but I do it, and it's feckin hard work! But then - why shouldn't it be? where does is say though shalt win the lottery? In fact the only thing I lament is not playing ball anymore, I miss that sometimes it hurts :(

I can pretty much walk anywhere I want in my city, go into any pub and not feel like I need a stab proof vest on. Read the Daily Mail and it feels like I should have boarded up the windows, and shot anyone that comes to the door if they are not white-British with a placard clearing showing their reason to call.

Unfortunately things like the internet have give EVERYONE a voice - and the irony is not lost on me there, and as the truism goes you can't please all the people all the time... so what happens? the world is full of disappointed people.... and they bitch about it!! In the papers on the news, internet forums, it's pervasive. Then you get something horrible happen - you mentioned the Soham murders in a previous thread, or knife Crime in London.. Not too sure why there is this sudden revelation that the world is full of ****. 100 years ago, an Englishman would have been allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb, he was legally allowed to rape his wife, children could be used as workhouse slaves, and that's just for starters.

Robbery, murder, theft are not new crimes. The countries leaders be they politicians or Kings have always been sleazy megalomaniacs. When was it not like that?

That's why you wont get your "Critical Mass", in reality, people know that they do actually have to pretty good. **** will always happen, but whilst you can still feed your family people aren't unhinged enough for riots, or civil unrest. We have modern constitutional process (refined over 2000 years of history) to put right perceived grievance. And the system does work. That's what surprises me about the knife crime in London. You hear about the stabbings and the murders, but you don't hear so much about the scroats that get caught and banged up for 30 years. What fecking idiots.

Don't believe the hype, don't succumb to this fear culture that's exactly what Big Brother wants, to control you. There has been such progress, in such a short time. The world rally can be a decent place. You just can't let yourself jump at the shadows because it feels different.

If you want a good example check our newswipe with Charlie Brooker on bbc IPlayer. sums it up well.

Matski's first post is spot on IMO.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
uninformed drivel
That post actually disgusted me, which is pretty impressive.

Back to the OP: people will bitch and moan, but at the end of the day we're all too self-centred to do anything about it. In a society where the rights and dignity of the individual are placed above the welfare of the collective, we've all come to believe we're the most important thing in the world. People are willing enough to set the world to rights over a pint, but let me see them campaigning for change in the streets. Let's just roll over and take it in the a$$ and complain about the rectal bleeding. Forgive my cynicism, but the nature of our government perpetuates the state we're in. Reading Plato's Republic, for instance, you'll see the same issues cropping up millenia ago. Can a just man ever profit more than a thief? Probably not, so our governments will always be a little bit on the shady side. /rant

Bedlam

Gone crazy, back soon...
Pestilence......spot on. We do live in a society that is perpetuated by fear. Access to information is better now than it has ever been. Are we more informed or is there the opportunity to pull the wool over our collective eyes or even see things that are not there?

I am not so stupid to believe that all is right in the world, far from it, but this continuation of living in fear (and I don't mean that you sit cowering in the dark) is only exacerbating the problems we do see.

Overthrow the government? (Hello GCHQ;) )And replace it with what? Who will take the place of the politicians or bankers or whoever else we put against the wall when the revolution comes? There is no denying that there is a rising level of discontent but lets not feed that with all the other tripe we see in the papers or on the web.

Does this mean that I am happy to ignore the problems of the world or the UK? Well, let me put it another way, how should we change it? Would a popular revolution help us? That I can't answer. Is this the critical mass you mean Pete? Or do you mean something more localized, like the bradford riots or something?

Gotta say, this is the most pertinent topical question I have seen in the Brain box forum. Guaranteed to get an interesting response
:cool: