Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Days of My Life: Whose NPPL am I sucking on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duffistuta

Deep breaths, calm thoughts, visit your happy place...and check your email.

Once you've done all that, if you feel the same way then fine, I back you 100%. Sick him.

;)

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
It was posted as a Cup comparison...

Originally posted by Robbo
Damn, I just seen this post !!!
And do you think all people there including women and kids share your stoical views on the toilets ?
And the bleachers, you didn’t think they were a problem ?
And the site layout, this was good also was it ?
And the food on offer, that too was ok was it?
Listen Simon, he took more than half a million dollars in entries alone for God's sake, now add on monies for fields, booths and God know else Jerry charges for...and u can defend it ?
Nah, Simon, it was a f'kin farce again and I honestly can't see how you can reduce the problems at this tournament down to just judges, that just smacks of a whitewash !!!!
Pete, my post was in comparing this years cup schedule against previous years cups schedules and their ability to run to time... that's what Tony (oops almost typed someone elses name ;) ) asked about. Not in comparing this years cup against what I would ultimately like to see. Big difference...

In comparison against previous years cups when you look at the schedule and timing this years was excellent... (maybe that's subjective and totally in relation to previous years cups...). The cup could still have been much better, and yes I want more from them for my money.

BUT this years cup was the best World Cup I have ever been to. Still not as good as I would like.

I didn't have a problem with the toilets but I can appreciate more would have been better, and how others could have had issue with it.

I didn't have a problem with the layout. It was a huge event the layout is tough. But I had no major issues with it. What did you think was lacking in the lay out? And what would have made the layout better? The only issues was with the finals, but was that a layout issue or an issue of which fields they chose to run the finals on? not sure.

Yes bleachers should have been better also. And food was crappy, but Cup food has always been like that since they stopped Renick doing it (why did they stop him doing the food?)

BUT

My major issue with this event as a player was the judging. For me as a player, all of those other things were much less significant.

I wasn't defending the cup against what you say Pete, I agree with many of your points, some are more and less significant for me. I was talking about the schedule and how much better it was, and that this years cup was so much better than previous years cups for me. The way this years Cup was scheduled and ran to time WAS, in my opinion, excellent for the size and complexity of the event. Maybe I was a little too 'all encompassing' in my sign off though :D

manike

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
It was posted as a Cup comparison...

Originally posted by manike
Pete, my post was in comparing this years cup schedule against previous years cups schedules and their ability to run to time... that's what Tony (oops almost typed someone elses name ;) ) asked about. Not in comparing this years cup against what I would ultimately like to see. Big difference...
In comparison against previous years cups when you look at the schedule and timing this years was excellent... (maybe that's subjective and totally in relation to previous years cups...). The cup could still have been much better, and yes I want more from them for my money.
BUT this years cup was the best World Cup I have ever been to. Still not as good as I would like.
I didn't have a problem with the toilets but I can appreciate more would have been better, and how others could have had issue with it.
I didn't have a problem with the layout. It was a huge event the layout is tough. But I had no major issues with it. What did you think was lacking in the lay out? And what would have made the layout better? The only issues was with the finals, but was that a layout issue or an issue of which fields they chose to run the finals on? not sure.
Yes bleachers should have been better also. And food was crappy, but Cup food has always been like that since they stopped Renick doing it (why did they stop him doing the food?)
BUT
My major issue with this event as a player was the judging. For me as a player, all of those other things were much less significant.
I wasn't defending the cup against what you say Pete, I agree with many of your points, some are more and less significant for me. I was talking about the schedule and how much better it was, and that this years cup was so much better than previous years cups for me. The way this years Cup was scheduled and ran to time WAS, in my opinion, excellent for the size and complexity of the event. Maybe I was a little too 'all encompassing' in my sign off though :D
manike

Ok, I now see where you are coming from but my problem with they way you wrote is this, to keep saying it is the 'best' you have been to, and this is said in a relative sense, gives the impression that it was a good tournament in an absolute sense.
I mean, keep bandying around the word 'best' in your description and people are naturally going to think all was well, even tho you did make mention of the judging.
This tournament, for the money he took, was a disgrace, relative to what he could do with the money, relative to Euro Millennium events, relative to other US events.
We can't keep cutting him slack on this and I wonder why everybody else in the media does this !!!
The fact that this was marginally better than last year, is no validation in itself as you know, only when its measured against others that are quality tournaments does the comparison hold any water. The problem i have with Jerry, is that he can easily see a working model and has done many times, of a successfully run tournament but chooses to ignore them , time and again and for what?
A few extra bucks ?
I suppose i try to look at the tournament from everybody's point of view, spectators, players families, vendors and so on and I can only come to the conclusion that we were all ripped off again with a third rate production.
Hmmm, suppose I better get down off my high horse again :(
Robbo
PS I asked Ren why he stopped and he told me just couldnt be arsed with it all, it took a lot of staff and all that but that doesnt mean to say we have to settle for such a shabby range of food.
Bring back Ren !!!!!!!

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Can't argue with that. :)

There is no event of the same size as the World Cup, which does maybe make it a little harder to compare (on issues such as layout etc?). I wonder if the Millennium series could keep it's high standards when presenting an event of such a scale. I hope so. Maybe time will tell :)

manike

p.s. Lets start a 'Bring back Renick to do the food thread'...

R

raehl

Ok, here I go again... ;)

I'll grant it wasn't a stadium, but com'on, it's a sport. Lots of people participate in and watch sports that are not in stadiums, including moms and kids.

Originally posted by Robbo
Damn, I just seen this post !!!
And do you think all people there including women and kids share your stoical views on the toilets ?
So there were portajohns - big deal. Virtually every sport I've played the toilet facilities have been the same - that goes from peewee soccer up to high school cross country - the only big exception was indoor track and field. Hell, even our high school stadium had people using portapots - and we had a couple thousand people of all ages going to those games. I never had to wait for a toilet at Cup, and never more than a minute or two at Chicago Open, and they were always relatively clean when I had to use them (not always spic-and-span, but certainly no worse than toilets in pro stadiums or fast food restaurants).

And the bleachers, you didn’t think they were a problem ?
Not at the X Ball field, there were plenty there. You guys just need to cut back on spectators. ;)

The only time I saw that bleachers were a problem was on Sunday. Bleachers are expensive to rent. Really expensive. You'll never have good bleacher setups as long as you insist on having 100+ team events across 10+ fields because it's cost prohibitive to have 10 bleacher setups to accomodate the occasional peak crowds of a Dynasty/Aftershock game.

And the site layout, this was good also was it?
All of our guys who played 10-man were satisfied with it. Was there a better way to put 10+ fields and vendors on the location? Again, back to the 100+ teams scheduled across 10+ fields bit.

And the food on offer, that too was ok was it?
Right on par with the food at any other athletic event I've been to. Actually, the food was probably BETTER than what they were offering at the Notre Dame football game I was at a couple weekends ago. (Where your choices were hotdogs, pretzels, nachos, pizza.)

Listen Simon, he took more than half a million dollars in entries alone for God's sake, now add on monies for fields, booths and God know else Jerry charges for...and u can defend it?
So he took in 500k... so what? How much did all of the **** they did cost? People seem to think that because there was high revenue means something. It doesn't, because expenses are high as well. You have to look at what all the costs are, and you guys simply are not doing that.

Regardless, that's not really the point I was trying to make here. The things you are bitching about are ridiculous. The things that are preventing paintball from advancing have nothing to do with toilets or food or bleachers, and if you're trying to say that's what we need ot fix to get people involved, you're nuts, because (at least stateside) the kinds of sports moms and kids watch and particpate in have facilities that are WORSE than those of any PSP events. People will either eat before the event or expect hot dogs and nachos, they'll pee at home or expect marginal toilet facilities. That's athletics. They're not expecting 4 star restaurant/hotel accomodations.

What separates us from being a sport is things like allowing 100+ teams to participate in the same event and participate in just one event of the season, games that are sub 15-minutes, schedules that (even when "on time") make it very difficult for the spectator to be where they want to be when they want to be there, lack of separation between the players and the spectators, presence of vendors at the events, player behavior problems (and don't pull that "pros in other sports are dicks too" BS - I've been paying very careful attention to other pro sports lately, and the GOOD sportsmanship FAR outweighs the bad - paintball is the opposite), etc, etc, etc.

Good reffing I'll agree is a problem - we need to get refs whose job it is to ref and train them appropriately. Problem is finding skilled refs who don't also want to play, and who are wiling to work for the money we'll pay them. Really good reffing is going to cost much more than we're paying now, $300+/day easy, and frankly, the rookie/nov teams arn't worth that expense. Back to the inherent problem of 100+ teams again.

So, sure, focus on the toilets, or the food, but that's not going to get the sport anywhere. It may be what the PLAYER wants in an event they're participating in for their enjoyment (which is what you're doing if you're paying entry, less so if you're sponsored) but it's certainly nothing that shoudl be expected as part of an athletic event.

The real problem is that very little about PSP (or most other paintball tournaments for that matter) is an athletic event. It's a party/convention/trade show where people play some paintball. That's the product that's being sold and that's the product the players are buying. If you want a sport, you're going to have to ask for a different product.

- Chris

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Ok, here I go again... ;)

Originally posted by raehl

So, sure, focus on the toilets, or the food, but that's not going to get the sport anywhere. It may be what the PLAYER wants in an event they're participating in for their enjoyment (which is what you're doing if you're paying entry, less so if you're sponsored) but it's certainly nothing that shoudl be expected as part of an athletic event.

- Chris
You contradict yourself. You say it ain't an athletic event, but instead it's a trade show, convention, and party rolled into one. Yet at the end of your post it's an athletic event. What is it?
I agree that it's much more than a "mere" athletic event, therefore the standards should be much higher. People who attend a football game (the US version) spend about 3-4 hours at the stadium (unless you're a really sad Michigan fan, like Paul :D ). The avarage attendee at a paintball event spends a whole lot more time around the fields than that. Therefore facilities such as food and restrooms will be attended more, and accordingly must be of a better standard. At a football game, you buy snacks, at a paintball event, you sometimes look for complete meals! There's a big difference between the two.
Tell me, have you ever been to a business convention or trade show? I have. Too often in fact. I can tell you this much. If any of them would have had a few portaloos as facilities, the place would have been burned down and the organisers flogged!
Now perhaps the lack of proper facilities and foods will not be the downfall of paintball on it's own, but it can certainly give paintball that little nudge that it needs to tip over the edge and plummet to it's demise.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Ok, here I go again... ;)

Originally posted by Buddha 3
You contradict yourself. You say it ain't an athletic event, but instead it's a trade show, convention, and party rolled into one. Yet at the end of your post it's an athletic event. What is it?
I agree that it's much more than a "mere" athletic event, therefore the standards should be much higher. People who attend a football game (the US version) spend about 3-4 hours at the stadium (unless you're a really sad Michigan fan, like Paul :D ). The avarage attendee at a paintball event spends a whole lot more time around the fields than that. Therefore facilities such as food and restrooms will be attended more, and accordingly must be of a better standard. At a football game, you buy snacks, at a paintball event, you sometimes look for complete meals! There's a big difference between the two.
Tell me, have you ever been to a business convention or trade show? I have. Too often in fact. I can tell you this much. If any of them would have had a few portaloos as facilities, the place would have been burned down and the organisers flogged!
Now perhaps the lack of proper facilities and foods will not be the downfall of paintball on it's own, but it can certainly give paintball that little nudge that it needs to tip over the edge and plummet to it's demise.
Hey Bud, I can talk to you, I can’t talk to people like Chris, so its kinda convenient for me to bring up just one point that I couldn’t be bothered to with Mr ‘Know it all’, it wasn’t the fact that Jerry used portaloos for God's sake, it was the fact that there were only 12 for thousands of people and were a disgusting mess after the first hour of use !!!!!!
I could rebut every other point he made but I just cant be bothered with him, have fun with him Bud
Pete

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
To put in my two cents here, I am not as toilet-minded:p as Robbo and some of the others. I guess I'm partially defending Joy Masters that had portable toilets. They were centrally but discretely located and I had no problem with them. Since the site was so centrally located there were flush toilets at a nearby street-restaurant and swimming pool.

But I agree with Buddha's point about how much time people spend on-site at a paintball tournament. I was there from sun-up to sundown for about 8 days (and that's a long time in the Swedish summertime). The decent food and other facilities were greatly appreciated.

I feel like others that the judging is the major issue. Scheduling comes next. The others are also important but don't have nearly as much an impact on how a team of players experiences an event overall. To me adding insult to injury is paying the high entry fees plus all the other requisite expenses to only be shut out of the semis because there were only 3 or 4 judges on a field thus handing any game over to the best cheaters.

And Chris, am I going to have to pull my long list out on you again ?:D A proper program with the right people running it could turn the reffing thing around without the impossibly high costs of all-PRO reffing. I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face or until some league tries the whole program I'm suggesting.

Steve

PS. Chris, I'll take a writing course if you will. Never quite learned Shakespeare's way: brevity is the soul of wit.;)

SM

Status
Not open for further replies.