Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Dead mans walk

• Thread starter Tommy Gun-Nexus
  • Start date
T

Tommy Gun-Nexus

What do you guys recon about the "dead mans walk".

Have you ever seen anyone pull it off successfully? Or done it yourself?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Yup, seen it.......

At a tourney in Rotterdam, Holland I saw a guy called Johan from Team Endurance pull it off. Eliminated players had to walk back to their starting points, with their gun up in the air AND the other hand on top of their heads. However Johan walked TOWARDS the other team with just his gun in the air. He got close, and popped two of them in the ass. Ofcourse a lot of cheering went up when that happened, and how the other team fell for it, because after all he was coming AT them, is beyond me. Another incident is when some guy (don't remember name or team, damn my malfunctioning brain) started 'packing up' in the middle of the field, muttering under his breath all the while. Nobody on the opposing team noticed that no judge had come along to take his armband away, and by the time they realised they had lost two players as well.

I think it's cool, and if you're dumb enough to fall for it, too bad for you.

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt.

Big games and scenario games are riddled with DMW's. Why? Well, wiht 300+ players, a few loose cannons get through to do the goods. I would be one of the loose cannons. :D

I've done grandiose DMW's, walking literally 300 feet past enemy lines to get flags. Actually, it was becasue of that one move that we won that game by about 50 feet. I've done rec game DMW's too, but I use it sparingly. See, in a rec game, you try it once, and the eliminated players are getting lit up for the rest of the day. And it's uncalled for in some rec games.

But, to be fair, it's a legal move, just sometimes unethical. Now there's a lot more you CAN do to these fools you're playing against, but I think that's somewhere stored on the p8ntballer.com site. See, now if you subscribed to PGI, you'd know all this stuff by now.

Or, if you're a schlub, you can read the article here.

-Tyger

Diggie

Great Balls of Styrofoam
I think it's a shame that DMW's are frowned upon. In my optics it's just another way to **** with the opposition. It's a smart move. People should pay attention to their opponents anyway. Now if you're reccing with a lot of newbies you could indeed cause some commotion, but overall I think DMW is a brilliant thing. It falls in the same category as switching off your air supply or shouting you're out of paint/air to fool them idiots on the other side. It belongs to paintball.

Sloth

Eat Lard!!
Jul 9, 2001
Location Location!
Visit site
Yeah I have!!

Watched a small tourny at Holmbush and saw several people pull it off quite well. I reckon its good for the spectators but bad for the teams concerned and sportsmanship. Because when a player askes for a paintcheck on himself the marshall is not aloud to shout "player clean" etc... its using the rules to better your position not skill!!

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I don't have any problems with it.

I think it's another part of the combat of wits.
We all know that while playing we should pay attention to what our opponent is doing, and if we allow ourselves to be fooled by someone who is walking in the wrong direction AND is still wearing his armband during a tourney, then we deserve it. I personally think a DMW is not bending the rules, it's actually quite gutsy. I mean, we all see it happen that players who are eliminated get shot anyway, even when they are walking with their hands up. Hell, we all shot the odd ref or two as well. A person going on a DMW is breaking cover, exposing himself in a way that no one in his right mind would do, just inviting some front player with an electro to pop up and hose him with 25 shots from painfully short ranges.
In my opinion, if a team falls for a DMW, it's the back player's fault, he should be aware of eliminations on the other team, and he should pay attention to the behaviour of anybody on the field, so if he sees someone walking around, gun in the air, with armband still on, going the wrong way, no ref running up to him, and this person still manages to take out some people, don't start bitching about the legitimacy of DMWs, burn your backplayer(s) at the stake instead! When you sum up all these factors that can identify a DMW, you have to admit that the person going on a DMW is a brave person indeed.

P.S. I also think that DMW's have no, or very little place in rec-ball. Shame on you Tyger (jus' kiddin').

Jimmy "The Sponge" pulled one on Russian Legion last year at the Joy Masters. He took out 4 or 5 remaining Russian Legion players. I think it worked becuase the Russians play so honestly they wouldn't expect something like that.

HOWEVER

The next game they played against the Ton-Tons the remaining TT player tried it and not one Russian fell for it.

Now my opinion is that it leads to overshooting - especially in tournaments. There have been many times when I have seen players lit up just because they don't leave the field in the same second they have their armband pulled. I also know that some teams have codes for anytime they suspect a dead mans walk and they have every marker open up on him.

goose

confuzzed2

Scrub
Jul 10, 2001
Bossier City, Louisiana
Its a good eye opener when it happens to you! We had someone pull it off on us by walking with a dead player at holmbush. Obviously it made us pay alot more attention to dead players later, which is a good thing. So we were able to turn it into something good, although at the time its hard not to be pissed that we missed it!!

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
If someone has the balls to pull off a dmw well good luck to them.
But if the person cheats by covering up there armband ect, Thats a good enough reason to eliminate them by a judge and i do it every time. ( unsportsmanlike behaviour ). And don't use it in a rec game it's just not fair.