Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Disasters Effecting paintball teams??

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
The Nazis had special brothels with Jewish women forced into them...... they called them the "Joy Division"... but the team was named after the band I think? the band were making a political statement though.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by JoseDominguez
It's catchy and no one anyone cares about will be offended.
Actualy, can't the mods delete this before anyone from Tsunami sees this? Bearing in mind that they had just played in Malaysia and have made lots of friends in one of the areas affected.
Could. But why, so members of the team won't be offended? So, on one hand it's stupid to suggest changing the name so others won't be offended by chance but okay to delete the thread in case specific peeps are offended.
Care to rethink that one.

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Could. But why, so members of the team won't be offended? So, on one hand it's stupid to suggest changing the name so others won't be offended by chance but okay to delete the thread in case specific peeps are offended.
Very good point there, and besides, its too late;) .

i was wondering how long it would be before a post about our name was made.:rolleyes:

Nice to see people are standing up for us, its not like we named it after the inccident.

Must point out also that some of the guys we met in Malaysia (an effected area ) have actualy made semi jokes about it on their forum.

DB

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com

Tsunami took a name that was just a word........... he intentionaly posted cack....... what's your point?
I didn't mean they'd be offended..... more deeply hurt that they would intentionaly do something to cause offence.
Just like Joy Division didn't meant it when they took the name, but me asking "So you support the Nazis then?" would be pretty crass and thoughtless........ you know if I was just doing it for a laugh and to up my post count?

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by JoseDominguez
1--Tsunami took a name that was just a word...........
2--he intentionaly posted cack....... what's your point?
3--I didn't mean they'd be offended..... more deeply hurt that they would intentionaly do something to cause offence.
4--Just like Joy Division didn't meant it when they took the name, but me asking "So you support the Nazis then?" would be pretty crass and thoughtless........ you know if I was just doing it for a laugh and to up my post count?
I hate to be difficult--alright, I don't really--but I wanted to sound like it was important to me. ;)
1--tsunami is not "just a word." It was plainly chosen to connote a variety of things associated with the actual event the team thought was cool in a competitive paintball setting. The fact the word has a specific meaning and we all now have a context for that meaning given recent events is what has compelled those who responded so vociferiously to do so in the first place.
2--did he? Taken up mind-reading now?
3--where did anyone suggest the team intended to cause anyone offense?
4--they didn't? More mind-reading or are you going on their say so? And does it matter?
Frankly, I think it's a good question. not necessarily any reason to change their name--after all, they can call themselves whatever they like--but regardless of intent the name has "baggage" for any one with a modest knowledge of recent history.

Gups

May 9, 2003
Aldershot
It's funny, Brian and I had considered whether or not to approach the team and suggest a name change.
It would be a huge expense and effort:20 playing tops, 60 t-shirts, 20 coats, team banner, van vinyls, bank account, website and domain names, etc, plus we would have to start from scratch with building up our reputation and profile again to an extent.
But expense and effort would have to be dealt with if that's what the team decided.

I expected the paintball community to mainly say 'no, keep the name' as has been the case here, because you all know we have been around for a while and have not just started a team called 'Tsunami' to cash in on the disaster in Asia. But what will Joe Bloggs on the street think? Brian and I had stopped wearing our Tsunami coats and Tshirts around town, mainly because we didn't want to cause offence or have people think we were being insensitive.

I decided to ask someone whom i thought would be impartial, a contact we have at the BBC who is responsible for publishing our match reports on the BBC website. This is what he said in response to my question 'should we change our name'

Hi
You know, fate works in strange ways. I received your report but wasn't around to do anything with it. When I got back to work, the disaster was happening. So, "Basingstoke Tsunami go to Malaysia" was never going to get published, for obvious reasons.

I was thinking about your name yesterday. Changing the name would be a possibility but by no means necessary, I would have thought. The word was in existence before. However, if it is possible to "lay low" (ie not approach sponsors and so on) for say six months that would be a good idea.

However, if you really must get moving on sponsorship and publicity in the next six months (before things quieten down again), a name change would be necessary really. I doubt a sponsor would want to be associated with that name at the moment.

Does that help? If there's anything more specific you want to ask, do go ahead. I appreciate this is a really difficult situation to be in.
Basically, if you think you can lie low for a while, do that. If not, go
for a change. My gut instinct is you should do the former. It could
happen to any team with an "exciting" name, and changing the name draws attention to it, if you see what I mean.

I don't think you're in much danger of being seen as "cashing in" if
that helps, though.

Alan

More or less what we thought too.....

As Brian said, in Malaysia people have made 'light-hearted' puns at our name, for instance: 'Did you have anything to do with what happened here? Maybe it was an omen. I hope a team called 'plague of locusts' doesn't win the Nation Cup' next year'!

I don't know what to do, it's a hard one.... One suggestion someone made to me today at work was that instead of using the Japanese term for tidal wave, 'Tsunami' we use the Japanese word for 'Peace' or 'Hope' instead. Team Daffodil does have a ring to it tho ;)