Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Disasters Effecting paintball teams??

Slapper Guy

just add beer
Apr 26, 2004
Wirral
Visit site
I think it's great to see counties from all over the world helping out the victims of this unfortunate event. Couldn't stand it when Brown attacked Blair for the UK pledges made.

However you gotta feel for the areas round the world affected by disease and other nasty things going on. Someone mentioned to me the other day that the Indonesian world debt had been cancelled. Africa was on track to have their world debt resolved next year. This event will have put them back probably years.

I ain't sayin I disagree but think surely if we do something like this for Indonesia shouldn't Africa have help of a similiar nature ?

Probably gonna get slated for this but it's just my thoughts.

Oh yeah btw keep the team name I think it's cool it's just unfortunate in this moment in time.

liamliddy

Mar 31, 2003
BRIGG NRTH LINCS
Visit site
Originally posted by Mario
this tsunami would of beat any early warning system, they wouldn't of stood much more of a chance. This is from a professor of geology at uni :)
not really as it would be in the middle of the ocean where it all started and the sensors etc would pick it all up first, they couldnt afford one i heard tho?

Saris

Banned
Oct 21, 2003
#3 Devil's Advocate Bvd
Visit site
Rather than moaning about what good a 3 minute silence is - or a 1, or minute silence session - it would be better to actually spend that time actually doing something constructive. It's pretty easy to stand there with your mouth shut. An earlier post mentioned to avoid buying a box of paint and donating the cash to charity instead. Actions speak louder than words (or lack of).

"When major events occur, see the death of Princess Di" is a line from above which is pretty ironic. what a major event in the world scenario. yeah. really. maybe the amount of £££ spent keeping aristocrats well fed would make a considerable difference to victims of tragedy, be it in asia, africa, eastern europe or wherever...that is the real major event which could be avoided

Richie-Carrot

Maniac
Nov 27, 2003
Newcastle upon Tyne
to get back to the point, ( names of teams ) i personally dont think teams should change names, it would be different if the team name was made after the event possibly joy division may fall within this bracket, but as a band was named after it i think they can get away with it. peeps need to look past something trivial as a name, if i can quote a saying based on food "concentrate on the steak and not the peas" a teams name being the peas, the steak being something important like a tsunami killing thousands of peeps there is a slight degree of importance between the two, so come on peeps !!!! BTW i dont want any letters from mammies saying that their kids no longer eat peas coz Richie Carrot told em not to :)

Saris

Banned
Oct 21, 2003
#3 Devil's Advocate Bvd
Visit site
Agree that princess Diana did her bit for charity - but did she raise as much money as she actually "earned"/spent/accumulated by nature of her position?

Anyhow, that wasn't the point I was making - which was that comparing the death of one person is not exactly a tragedy in the league of the tsunami, the Iranian earthquake, famine in Africa, etc, etc.

Gogger

Crispy Fried
Jul 7, 2001
North Wales
Visit site
One of my relatives and one of my friends have both been missing since the disaster. I believe they have died. The wave was caused by an earthquake NOT by a paintball teams name. If Tsunami change their name it’s up to them, but I don’t think they should. It isn't going to make any differance, sending money might though.
A.T.T.B.L.

There was a piece on newsnight last week about the charities commision worrying about the power of the media in influencing what people hear.

Accoding to the chappy there have recently been two similar sized apeals that raised per victim head

40 cents - a Famine in Africa (Possibly Rowanda)

$40 - Some Hurricane in Columbia (120,000 killed, no media coverage)

$400 - Tsunami appeal as of over a week ago

Some charities have stopped taking donations as they are over subscribed.

As for a 3 minute silence, what makes it a more important event that the rememberence day 1 minute that my company forgot to observe last year.

It is no less a terrible event but there are equally terrible events happening around the world that because the media are not interested in get precious little help from governments or our populations.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
The hurricane that you metion was not in Columbia (can you imagine what that would have done to the cost of cocaine? my life would have been ruined! ......er.....), it was in Bangladesh. Until this tsunami it was the largest natural disaster in the last 40 years or so.

About the 3 minute silence thing, one thing that the people that compare it to remembrance services for the casualties of was seem to forget is that this one is a once only, remembrance happens every year, so it's obvious which one is credited with more meaning.

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
I think one of the main reasons why so much money has been donated is because many people have visited Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka know how peaceful the places are. Pretty much everyone I have spoke to either knows someone who was there a few weeks ago, was meant to be going in the next few weeks or escaped when it happened, or sadly didnt escape it's hit people on a much more personal level.

I was Diving in Phuket 3 weeks before it happened, and have photo's of Patong beach, The Phi Phi Islands whilst it was still beautiful. I met many amazing people on my stay in phuket. It makes me feel sick knowing they could have all been killed.

The 3 minutes silence may have been excesive, but all we are doing is keeping quiet and remembering. Next year it may be 1 minute. Does it really deserve an argument?