The Home Of European Paintball

Dispelling prejudice

Chiped117

Contract Killer
Oct 24, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
www.facebook.com
Hi there guys

Like many of you, I have been in the sport of tournament paintball for quite some time and have been angered and frustrated by the false pre judgement you get from people when you tell them you're a tournament paintballer. They look at you like a loser imagining you crawl around in woods pretending to play armies.

I'm positive that this prejudice comes from their lack of knowledge from this unfamiliar 'world' that is tournament paintball and go off what their experience is of paintball.

After showing them videos and pictures of what tournament paintball actually is they've changed their opinions and views around very quickly.

So my question is, how do we provide this information to everybody out there and make the sport of tournament paintball bigger and get more recognition for the serious, professional sport it is that we actually do rather than being looked at like someone they perceive as a geek that plays airsoft or larping (live action role play) on their weekends?

Last edited:

hoot

Mad Sqad Rebels
Sep 17, 2011
Falkirk, Scotland
With Garideon (edit: also Bod) on this one. It looks like there's some prejudice going on in your post. Sad times.

Regardless of whether you play airball or woodsball it's all the same stuff. The terrain might look a little bit different but I'd wager any woodsballer, or airsofter for that matter is just as dedicated as you are.

I wouldn't necessarily say airball is more "hardcore" than woodsball either. It's all in how you play it rather than what you're playing. Hard fought games are hard fought games whatever field they take place on.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Actually, when I tell people I play paintball they usually assume I'm hiding behind big balloons and shouting all kind of nonsense in a high pitched voice, while dressed like a clown.
Once I tell them that I actually dress up like the army and perform faux-military manoeuvres in full kit, they are usually a lot more accepting.

also - 'hard-core sport' - pffffttt!!!
No, no you're right though, totally...

Chiped117

Contract Killer
Oct 24, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
www.facebook.com
Fair one about the word loser and geek however I was simply describing how people look at you - not what my opinion is of those who participate in larpig, airsoft or woodsball. I will edit my first post to reflect your views and to avoid causing offense, but you must see the underlying point and relate to it. People don't take it seriously as a sport when you tell them...

My original question (which you've all impressively taken a diplomatic step around) was how can we advertise the sport to those unfamiliar with it, to get the recognition it deserves?

Actually, when I tell people I play paintball they usually assume I'm hiding behind big balloons and shouting all kind of nonsense in a high pitched voice, while dressed like a clown.
Once I tell them that I actually dress up like the army and perform faux-military manoeuvres in full kit, they are usually a lot more accepting.
also - 'hard-core sport' - pffffttt!!!
No, no you're right though, totally...
Well i'm in the army so that kind of thing is frowned upon lol
- Now that's been mentioned, I should probably add that my opinions are my own and in no way represent that of the army

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Same as this thread:
http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/generic-responses-when-you-tell-someone-you-play-paintba.157574/page-4#post-1438533

Be positive and inform
Some people will have pre-conceptions and bias, make an attempt and if its not going in then save your breath

I disagree that the general perception of paintball is that its playing soldiers
I see the general perception that paintball is for stag & hen groups.
Individual perceptions vary though. You may have met those who perceive it as playing soldiers, or as you are in the army could it be people putting 2 and 2 together and asking why you want to play soldiers at paintball when you are paid to do it, or why do you play at your real job in your spare time

When you discuss paintball with someone accept that they may have preconceptions, don't just point out to them that serious paintball is competitive/tournament/speedball as is your preference. Let them know it is more than just stag & hen groups on punter sites but that there are walkons plus large and small events, your interest is in the competitive side but there are different types of play. You can play in the woods, in urban sites, on one off sites, on perfect pitches ....

On the factor of a 'serious professional sport' ...... Is it realy?
There are people who take their paintball seriously

I take my game of paintball seriously. I am passionate about it, and my opinions go out on the forums
But to me it is just a game, and I play it for fun

In my opinion the sport of paintball is a small part of paintball. It's not recognised as a sport as it does not meet the criteria of 'sport England'
There are people working on that, join in the work on that and publicise & promote UKPSF

Some people play the sport of paintball and take it at various levels of seriousness. If you are competing with a hangover then they are not taking it very seriously