Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Do you think this strategy would work?

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
5 man. My team: I have 4 people on the break-out that basically just all fire as fast as they can a steady stream of paint on one side of the other team as they start running so they'll run into the paint. The other person runs up the other side of the field inconspiculously.

It sounds like it would get one or two people out off the break, do you think it would work?

Inferno

Paintball Addict
It seems like one of those situations that will result in a quick game. If you happen to get a couple of people on the breakout, then you team should be able to advance forward with numbers on their side. If no one was hit you will be at a major disadvantage, though. While the majority of your team is staying back with a constant stream of paint, they are eliminating any chance of advancing. If the other team is smart they will pick up some major ground on the breakout, then let their front men take you out one by one, starting with the first runner(who has no cover fire and WILL GET BUNKERED). Don't let me discourage you from trying this technique. By all means, try it. Modify what works and trash what doesn't. If the whole team gets creamed, learn from it. If it works, try it again. Just keep in mind that the opposition will try and learn from it too (it won't be as effective the second time around). Try it this weekend and get back to us.
;)

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Hey Emerson,

one woodland tourney 5-man a team I played for did that exact thing. We walked the fields the day before and on one particular field there was heavy cover on their left and about twenty yards to cover on the right. We'd watched games on this field and saw how they split. All five of us from break just loaded paint in the twenty yard gap. mate we took four of them in the first ten seconds.

We didn't play the field again, so couldn't tell if it was a fluke or not. I guess it's a case of reading the field and trying it out. Christ, it's not the end of the world if you all get mullahed is it?

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
We'd probably get killed anyway :D

I guess Inferno's right, I wouldn't have one person advance along the opposite direction, I'd have them all shoot. I'm gonna try that next time I play...

cockerguy

Dec 15, 2001
CANADA!!!
Visit site
i dunno

this looks like its gonna be a quick game which may not go in your favour. you have to stop and think. How many of there gus will you get out, how many of your guys'll be out from standing in the open, IF your front player gets to his bunker will he be cutt off. One glaring flaw is that if 3-4 even 2 of there guys survive you wont have enough front players to hold your ground and they'll just push and push until you're boxed in.

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
Actually I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm still organizing my "team". It was a "in theory" question. I think I'm am gonna try it though. Even if we only get one person, that's still a one person advantage, we'd just be losing field position but seeing as we suck anyways....at least we can't say we got maxed right? Boy this is wishful thinking....

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Basically you're suggesting temporarily doubling the normal number (and by doing so increasing the output volume) of back players to add to the lane control and sweetspotting enjoyed off the break, while thwarting the other team's attempt to do the same by simply not being in the path of their paint which is sent on reflex at the beginning of the game. Good idea, but it is iffy and can have a few holes in it about half the time. You can do it but probably only do it once or twice a tournament. Keep it as a trick in your inventory to be pulled out when it is least expected and/or suitable for teams that you're playing against. I find that tactics should be tailored to the situation, rather than being a set plan. I don't plan on shooting at any one specific person before the game starts or while it's going on, but rather who I think I have the best chance of shooting out and/or those most likely to shoot me. On the other hand you do need to know where important locations are on the field and where those positions impact both teams. Look around and know what places you can see and can see you. The way you win against better teams is to be efficient in your time on the field--let them waste time and paint and exposure on targets they can't hit. Pay attention to who they're shooting at and from where: if they're playing tight, they can only really best shoot at one of your team from one particular side of the bunker. Figure out where that is and just send paint their way in such a way as that they cannot look out to fire at your teammate without catching paint. Do that 5 times and you've won the game.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Remember not to under-estimate the skill of the front player you are trying to sweetspot, just because you have 4 guns sweeting a key barricade does not guarantee you that elimination, and then youve got 1 front guy and 4 back players....in trouble.
In training, i have to practise making my barricade everytime, often doing 5 on 1's, all 5 guns sweetspotting my barricade and even my breakout lane(s), that method will not always work..especially against pro teams because the better front guys will never do the obvious or expected.....before you know it that front guy on his own will be gone and the other team will set to work on that 4 man back line.....

killer onion...as usual, makes perfect sense about only using that idea when u think u can get away with it, just dont forget that whatever you didnt bother planning for will probably happen..