Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

DOT cylinders and the UK

Raxxman

Dec 8, 2002
Jorvik
Visit site
I agree as well. Mainly cause this area is not only pritty unclear, its very very important for saftey.

Also it might be a good idea to tell people about dual bottles and what happens to them when they're tested. (from what I know my bottle is a dual tested 1.1 but once I test it for HSE standards when it runs up to its 3 years it will no longer be DOT safe)

Cheers

garycarrot

Apr 9, 2002
Durham, North East England
Visit site
O.K. so can we use a DOT bottle in a U.K. tourny or paintball site?
Is there a rule stating that a site will not allow a DOT bottle to be used.
As long as its in test of course.

Bearing in mind that you would have to fill it yourself from a dive tank, and not from a commercial source.

Any site operators like to comment?

whats the situation at the series 2003 and Midland Masters events?

Bully

Jul 12, 2001
Rochdale UK
www.playpaintball.co.uk
Use at tournaments???

If I wanted to open a can of worms then I would ask the insurance company who cover my events. I am sure the answer would be "We are not sure"

A commercial filler can not fill the bottles - 100% correct
You fill your own DOT bottle from a dive tank OK

Yes we did stop players using DOT bottles at events as they are not UK approved and this was after asking the insurance company I used at the time. The new company tends to accept advise from the UKPSF rather than just making decsions of the top of their head!!!

But I am sure that if there was a accident with a DOT bottle then the person using the bottle would be liable not the organiser of the event. BUT I can ask the insurance company and if they say as an organiser I could be liable then the only bottles that can be used will be HSE and the new EC spec from July.

I have a meeting with the insurance company in 10 days and I will ask.

Steve

stiler83

Nov 16, 2001
God's Own County - West Yorkshire
I am surprised no one has mentioned the rest of Europe. If I’m not mistaken Europe use the DOT standard. So how does this affect a team from the UK playing there ?..
As for a manufacture trying to stop the filling/use of dual standard bottles can you imagine the amount of Angle Air’s out there and SmartParts supplied 1.1ltr bottles are now dual standard.

pat

Jersey Warriors No1
Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
We are Traveling to the Skyball .....in canada and have been told ............DOT bottles Only ,,,,,,,:D :cool:

pat ( jersey warriors

Jamie

How, what, why,????
Feb 19, 2002
Visit site
Its all very simple really The HSE is in place to prevent / reduce the chances of accidents and since it is the only UK recognized Safety standard then it is the only one insurance companies will go buy or any industry, and the reason for this is becuase this is the UK. the only diffrence between DOT and HSE is the way it is tested.

so unless it is tested to the UK HSE standard then you cant use its as simple that.

No matter where you are or what you are doing you have to abide by the countries rules and standards,

I bet if you went to India you could use an empty coke bottle and no one would batter an eye lid, (you may only get 20psi in before it blew but thats besides the point)

Let say your at a site using a HSE bottle and it ruptures and hurts someone.

you make a claim the insurance pays out everyones happyish.

same thing happens but your using a DOT bottle the insurance wont pay out, so what happens next?? simple again the site gets sued the person using the tank get sued it all gets really messy and the site goes bankrupt.

I know however that there is a grey area of visitors using there bottles over here, but that applies to a lot of things driving licenses, holiday visas, how long is a holiday??

To sum it up if your a UK resident you cannot use anything other then the UK standard.