Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Drop Forwards....WHAT THE ABSOLUTE F**K???

Before i enter the debate, i have used a monster drop on my dm3 since i got it and am only now changing it to a rail. But i am still changing since the stance is far better than with a drop.

There is however, one issue that is being lost in all of this. Mounting a bottle on gun is the obvious choice, but as has been mentioned, the size and proportions of players out there varies a great deal. Therefore although a 'long setup' with no drop is the best choice the length of that set up should vary to the player using it for it to be most effective. What drop forwards offer is the ability to change the length of that, unfortunately they only come in long or short and also drop the bottle down making the whole set up higher than it needs to be and flicking the elbow out.

What is needed in a world where the screw in reigns supreme is a rail where the length can be varied to suit the player. The long setup should still be key but it could be taylored to the specifics of the player using it. That way people would change their stance while also using the best setup for their ergonomic design.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
What is needed in a world where the screw in reigns supreme is a rail where the length can be varied to suit the player.
So buy an adjustable rail from MacDev :)

www.opb.se or www.macdev.net

Nick, Nick, Nick--your photo example would be a better exemplar if his gun was higher and he wasn't obviously putting his weight on his outside leg. C'mon
Baca:

Quite obviously he is not in a shooting position in that pic - so it only served as an example of how to turn the shoulders.

At any rate - you are supposed to put your weight (mostly) on the outside leg... otherwise your return will be too slow when you snap (at least if you are doing your snapshooting correctly ;))

Ok nick & robbo my stance may be all wrong and i may be a crap player, but it's the set up that works for me
Well ok - if you refuse to learn, just do what you like.... I just thought the whole point of this, was to teach you something that would make you a better paintballer :)

Nick

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Nick Brockdorff
Baca:
Quite obviously he is not in a shooting position in that pic - so it only served as an example of how to turn the shoulders.

At any rate - you are supposed to put your weight (mostly) on the outside leg... otherwise your return will be too slow when you snap (at least if you are doing your snapshooting correctly ;))
Easy enough to change your story now. :rolleyes: :)

No, it shouldn't. Ideally you don't want a transfer of weight below the waist. It will/does slow you down. The less you move to accomplish the desired purpose the better off you are, the more stable your shooting platform remains and consequently you will tend to be more accurate shot after shot. But feel free to argue the point. :D

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Certain people are exhibiting that old chestnut of Dual Standards.
I can guarantee you that if Robbo had said this, then this thread would be travelling a different path. At least then we would have got a discussion instead of the pointless personal attacks. Yes the guy is a very good UK pro player and his method of getting his point across is less than ideal, but it still is a very valid point.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
i think the point people are making is about the way it was said - some people here may see themselves being called **** - tards - i dont think anyone else would have quite put it that way it shows a certain lack of style .

^^ written before you edited your post ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Dark Warrior
Certain people are exhibiting that old chestnut of Dual Standards.
I can guarantee you that if Robbo had said this, then this thread would be travelling a different path. At least then we would have got a discussion instead of the pointless personal attacks. Yes the guy is a very good UK pro player and his method of getting his point across is less than ideal, but it still is a very valid point.
Dark, I think the whole point is, I wouldn't have said it because it's wrong...and sometimes the inability to get things across has nothing to do with anybody being inarticulate and everything to do with the point being untenable.....

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Originally posted by Robbo
Dark, I think the whole point is, I wouldn't have said it because it's wrong...and sometimes the inability to get things across has nothing to do with anybody being inarticulate and everything to do with the point being untenable.....

Acknowledged

O

ollytheosteo

One thing that makes me snigger about this whole drop forward "debate" is that in the early 90's everyone ran bottom lines with the exception of a few remote wierdos and the odd plumber's nightmare. The first really serious drop forward came along in '96/7; the Midi Rail from Marksmann (company still going strong by the way and make some very nice rails and on/offs:) ). This beast allowed you to shift the tank forward by about six inches and drop it by two, and just about everyone went out and bought something similar. PGI (mentioning no names ho ho) said at the time;

"The effect is little short of amazing...you can really keep in tight and the lack of bulk gives it almost pistol-like handling, ideal for barricades and weak hand shooting as and when needed. Balance is excellent and the gun handles dead-on-the-grip, so will be less fatiguing to play with and faster to use. It's a winner!"

Soon the way you could tell a newb (back when they were still called newbies and squids) was their use of a duckbill when the "pros" all used drops.
Turn the world, and now starter markers all come with huge droppage and we all point and laugh since rail systems became all the rage.
I personally do agree that rails feel better but the next time you feel the need to act like a twat towards some fellow with a huge drop just remember that it isn't actually your business how he runs his setup and that you might just be a sheep-like dip**** quoting people who've earned the right to sound off:)

It does seem that if Ollie Lang decided to play with his bottle stuck up his arse and dancing the hornpipe everyone would start stocking lube and bagpipes straight away and before long wannabe pros would be pointing and laughing (in a slightly strained fashion) at anyone using anything as hopelessly outdated as a rail and ASA.

Just remember the tagline on the Midi Rail ad was "Just when Robbo thought he couldn't get any tighter";)

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Olly, the game has progressed, different techniques are used such as shoot-moving, the general shift away from drop-forwards is not a cosmetic trend but the result of the need for a more stable shooting platform.

I would explain further, but im sure someone I hear is "IN" paintball, like Nick and his shoulder only movement, will fill in. :)

....digging up old quotes from PGI just shows a stage in the evolution of the game. It may well have 'worked great then'....but so did stone wheels at one point.

stevej

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by ollytheosteo
One thing that makes me snigger about this whole drop forward "debate" is that in the early 90's everyone ran bottom lines with the exception of a few remote wierdos and the odd plumber's nightmare. The first really serious drop forward came along in '96/7; the Midi Rail from Marksmann (company still going strong by the way and make some very nice rails and on/offs:) ). This beast allowed you to shift the tank forward by about six inches and drop it by two, and just about everyone went out and bought something similar. PGI (mentioning no names ho ho) said at the time;

"The effect is little short of amazing...you can really keep in tight and the lack of bulk gives it almost pistol-like handling, ideal for barricades and weak hand shooting as and when needed. Balance is excellent and the gun handles dead-on-the-grip, so will be less fatiguing to play with and faster to use. It's a winner!"

Soon the way you could tell a newb (back when they were still called newbies and squids) was their use of a duckbill when the "pros" all used drops.
Turn the world, and now starter markers all come with huge droppage and we all point and laugh since rail systems became all the rage.
I personally do agree that rails feel better but the next time you feel the need to act like a twat towards some fellow with a huge drop just remember that it isn't actually your business how he runs his setup and that you might just be a sheep-like dip**** quoting people who've earned the right to sound off:)

It does seem that if Ollie Lang decided to play with his bottle stuck up his arse and dancing the hornpipe everyone would start stocking lube and bagpipes straight away and before long wannabe pros would be pointing and laughing (in a slightly strained fashion) at anyone using anything as hopelessly outdated as a rail and ASA.

Just remember the tagline on the Midi Rail ad was "Just when Robbo thought he couldn't get any tighter";)
Olly

fanning the trigger used to be a big no no because you would chop now you can because of eyes and electronics people used to say never shoot on the run your slower, now force feed hoppers mean you can and as matski said since that came in the game has evolved again to the point where people are now training to perfect it

the drop forward came in to get people tight in the woods in the days when some players used to even switch the bottles to face fwds to stay tight into a bunker that they knew they would be staying in for for 99% of their game The idea wasnt to make the gun more comfortable to shoot necessarily it was to get your elbow inside of the gun easier when shooting so that the other guy sees bugger all of you even if you are shooting at him your gun was all over the place especially if you were shooting quick or moving about a lot though

i got rid of my drop in 98 when i realised that i could shoulder my gun quicker change hands faster was more stable and accurate but the only thing i gave up was an inch to the other guy which i realised you dont have to give anyway because you get in when they shoot at you