Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Dye Dam anyones thoughts?

paryo

Jun 2, 2008
epsom
Hey guy/gals

Im on the hunt for a new marker and in my quest for one I have stumbled onto and have fallen for the Dye Dam Marker.

Im just kinda throwing this out their to see if any of ya'll have anything to praise/condemn about the marker.To me it looks awesome and ticks quite a few boxes for what im looking for but, I have yet to see one in action only display and its the "in action" part that so far held me back from getting it.

From the reviews ive read online, youtube videos and my personal opinion the pros/cons are
Pros
- Has the looks (im fond of realistic looking)
- The mag loading is a cool feature
- its Dye so yea ^_^

Cons (from what I can see without having used one yet) please correct me
- with the stock connected and an air tank looks bulky back end?
Ive seen what appears to be a tank in the stock mod but the tank was tiny
- The Mag size (I think its awesome but up against speedballers i can see needing a hopper attached)
- The cost (I only say this as new its still around the £1000 mark, while its not the most expensive id still class that as concern even more so if I didn't like it in the field)
- from what I hear its abit of an air hog??

If anyone could add any comment about their thoughts or from what they have seen that would be awesome :) I like to and mostly play speedball with the occasional Mislim/woodsball stuff, and from what ive seen this marker should be able to hold its own in all fields as a good all rounder. Woodsball have the full barrel with mounts and stuff and for speedball remove it all CQB style.

^_^

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
Try before you buy if you can,i had two but didn't get on with them.
They are pretty cheap second hand £450-500.
Read as many reviews as you can find,there are some issues with them.
But then again some people love them,chap in our team loves his he spends hours cleaning it and getting it working and loves every minute fiddling with it.

Dye Customer support has now moved to Germany.

Reactions: H

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
As an all rounder:
Real gun styling hopper fed woodland/scenario - It has the right look and feel that you expect.
It has all the modes and functions.

MagFed: The most natural magazine that I have used. I attempted a few magfed rentals at a game and just could not get on with the 'standard' magfeds, it took particular effort to make sure I aligned magazines properly, and I had many ball breaks due to dodgy loads. Only the Dam, Hammer 7 and pistols load magazines naturaly for me.
Compared to old school mechanical technology on many MagFeds its miles ahead.

Compact: You can fit or remove whatever parts you wish, full gun size when you want and a shorter barrel / shroud and with or without the stock as you wish.

Stripped down speedball: It can bre stripped down and used for speedball with all the modes to compete, but with the main body it will still be a bit bulkier then a speedball style gun. Fine for an all rounder.
Note that in a tournament you are in danger of a rule breach when in hopper mode if you fit the dummy magazine containing the toolkit to fill the magwell hole.

As an air hog, its not the most efficient, however I've never run out of air and generaly use a 48ci stubby. I'm not the most paint hungry shooter in paintball.

Make sure your air systems regulator isn't full high pressure air in the 800psi region. You want the average system these days in the 650psi region. If the regualtor outputs too much the solenoid doesn't like it and will leak.

Make sure you get the 2nd generation bolt. The original had some issues that people couldn't get good velocity without cranking up the pressure and then leaking. A new one won't have this and an older one will probably have had the bolt replaced. If you do find one with the old bolt then a call to Dye will get one sent to you.

Stocks and air. The Dam has an air-through option, this uses a 13ci cylinder as the slide for the stock.
Obvioulsy you get less capacity with a 13ci so would only realy be viable for magfed.
Picture5_Dynamic_sports_Gear_Dye_DAM_Air_stock_System_on_dye_assault_matrix_paintball_marker.jpg

You can just as well have a 13ci or a compact cylinder on the normal ASA below the grip.
A stubby can comfortably sit in the space between grip and stock, the cylnder will then sit below your elbow with the stock in your shoulder.
Its more common to run a remote line and to carry your air cylinder, but these days I prefer to be free of the line.

Tech support in Germany
The UK office closed and European support is based in Germany. This didn't affect the service provided.
Dye still come out with techs to events.

paryo

Jun 2, 2008
epsom
Tom.... Dude that was an awesome summary and answered a few key points Ive been concerned with about getting this marker. Thanks man and you too Magic rat ^_^
for the heads up regarding what these go for secondhand, I think that may be the way to go if I decide to go for one of these as yea the value drops 2/3rds after use. Would love to buy one brand new but kinda sucks the price hasn't shifted since the 3 years its been out :/ ow well ya pay for what ya get (we hope)

Thanks guys, with what youve mentioned and from what ive read elsewhere Im thinking santa may know what ill be gettin ^_^

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
Pretty comprehensive reply from Tom.
If you wish to go mag fed then its the only realistic choice.

My advice would be to go for any of the modern markers from Planet Eclipse,GEO,EGO or ETEK range,they are lighter more air efecent easier to clean and service,fantastic British company with second to none backup.
I learned my lesson long ago.

paryo

Jun 2, 2008
epsom
haha... yea Planet Eclipse so far have been my go to guys for stuff and yep the EGO and ETEK ranges are amazing currently have an ETEK 4 and looking to replace an bust Ego 06 for another of the same year ^_^ They are solid builds (until someone drives over them :/ ) and the customer service has been soo helpfull in the past. Must say Ive not had much exposure to Dye from a marker support view but from what I hear they are pritty good also :)

This has merely caught my interest as it fills that gap I have for something more woodsballey while not being overly cumbersome diving for cover. That and the mag loading idea is cool as s*** and it actually looks like a setup that properly works

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
If you're looking for more realistic looking, you could always try out the EMC kit that will be coming out for the Etek 5/LV1 (although I have no idea when)

Dye DAM - I've seen people sell them after a couple goes round, I've only met one person who's liked his.

paryo

Jun 2, 2008
epsom
Just outa curiosity you mention you've tried owning one twice, what changed your mind? was it something you didnt like about the marker or did you just find something that felt better??