Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball Valken Paintball

Egg fried rice

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by Dskize, Nov 20, 2007.

1. topchef 'Hotgun Al'

topchef
    Message Count:
    If you use cold water to rinse away the starch (and also cool down the rice;)) , give it a good ol' shake in your colinder you will reduce the preparation time by 50% at least.
    Overnight would be ideal although you could push it to a few hours if your carefull by using various 'drying out' cowboy techniques;):D

-ChEf

2. NitroBall Volatile

NitroBall
    Message Count:
    You dont need to leave it overnight, and deffinately do not need to rinse in water.
    Depending on what rice grains you use, ie american long grain, use a little less water to boil the rice first, but enough to make sure it cooks all the way through.

Leave rice in rice cooker or what ever your using after its cooked for an hour without any heat. Take rice out, leave to cool for max 90 mins, as advised from health and saftey;)

Then go stir fry your rice.

(No need to cook the boiled rice with any other ingrediants, just water is fine, add flavouring when stri frying.)

If the rice is left overnight in fridge, just add a small amount of water when stir frying to make it moist again.

3. topchef 'Hotgun Al'

topchef
    Message Count:
    You dont NEED to rinse with cold water, but it helps to speed up the process if your in a hurry and dont have time to do it properly;)

You will actually find that most food hygiene bureaus or even E.H.O officers will tell you that they dont like rice cookers as the temptation to 'leave' food in them is too high and this encourages the growth of food poisoning bacteria such as Bacillus cereus etc.
    The reason 'health and safety' advise to leave food to cool ambiently for 90 minutes has less to do with the quality of the food etc and ALL to do with the fact that if warm food is stored inside a fridge it will bring it down from its optimum temp of 2-5 degrees thus rendering the whole refrigeration unit and its contents 'at risk'. Leaving food to store ambiently any longer also encourages bacterial growth and 'spoilage'. (the optimum range for bacterial growth/food poisoning
    bacteria being between 5-65 degrees)
    As with all things, there is a right way and a wrong way if your going 'by the book'. In my experience (16 years as a professional chef/head chef) there is nothing wrong AT ALL with cooling rice with cold water to speed up the process. (you try knocking out 60 rice dishes in four hours when your commis chef forgot to cook the chuffin rice:D).

my two penneth worth

-ChEf

4. NitroBall Volatile

NitroBall
    Message Count:
    16 yrs, nice.

I was born to cook rice buddy;), started when i was 8, yes 8, no exageration, and had no choice when your family was so poor:(, 33 yrs experience, 21 yrs of them owning 3 chinese takeaways, 1 being the bussiest in the whole of derbyshire, (chinese community is small in the uk, we all know each other, 1 way or another)

60 rice dishes in four hour, :rolleyes: meh...very big sigh...if u use a wok, like i do, you can hit 100 rice dishes in an hour;)

My woks arent made by planet, but they do 100 dishes an hour:p

Im sure you have your own experience in cooking, but rice is traditionally cooked best, the way i described it .

Working as a chef sucks, you have to rush back on sundays for work.:(

5. topchef 'Hotgun Al'

topchef
    Message Count:
    aint that the truth:) (in fact...its chuffin harder in the restaurant game to get sundays off full stop!)

As for the billion rice dishes an hour or whatever...fairplay.
    I'm not here to get into a dispute about how to and how not to cook whatever.....just offering my advice:)
    Take it or leave it;)

Have a nice day

-ChEf

6. NitroBall Volatile

NitroBall
    Message Count:
    Nope not getting into any dispute what so ever, my posts might come across in a funny way, sorry if they do and never intentional, rarely made it to school when i was young. Didnt even take any exams.:)

7. trigg503 is back home now

trigg503
    Message Count:
    when cook fried rice i always cook my rice in a steamer with 1 part rice to 2 parts water

whilst this is cooking i cook all the other items when the rice is cooked i add the rice straight from the steamer to the pan that way there is no need to cool down then reheat the rice cutting out the possibility of food poisoning and reducing preperation time

8. topchef 'Hotgun Al'

topchef
    Message Count:
    No bother chap;)

-ChEf

9. AL21784 I love lamp

AL21784
    Message Count:
  10. true_death Free Agent..

true_death
    Message Count: