Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Epilepsy

TheHairyMammoth

Aug 26, 2020
Hi all

My mates surprise stag party is coming up but he’s epileptic I need to know if there’s any laws and insurance I should look into beforehand? I know it’s very common (1 in a 100 people have the condition) but I’m rather worried about it

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hi all

My mates surprise stag party is coming up but he’s epileptic I need to know if there’s any laws and insurance I should look into beforehand? I know it’s very common (1 in a 100 people have the condition) but I’m rather worried about it
I’m not sure about any specific insurance, (reputable) sites have insurance for any liability, have processes in place for a higher reasonable emergency etc

There should be no reason to prevent him enjoying paintball.
Some activities can be beneficial to epileptics reducing the frequency and severity of seizures (though of course everyone’s circumstances may differ)

Think ahead now and your worries should be eased

As it’s a surprise you can’t discuss it directly with him, but you can talk to his partner, family etc and to him to a degree on how his epilepsy is, when his last seizure was, how major or minor they have been recently, and about what triggers his epilepsy (you may of course already have an idea on these)

Once you have the details advise the site that he has epilepsy, they can consider if there are additional risks that they can mitigate - eg whether they use flashbang grenades, etc and particularly if an indoor sight has SFX.
Flashbangs typically give a single flash, so should not be a problem for most epileptics but could be worsened in confined or dark areas
There are less common multiple flash and strobing grenades. They would need to be avoided and not used
If very loud noises are an issue with disorientation then flashbangs should be avoided

On the day let the site know again, making sure the manager is aware and the Marshall’s for the day are aware, and that the group are aware.
Make sure enough people know how to react if he encounters a seizure
eg stop shooting at him, ensure he is safe, ensure his mask stays on.
He may only need a few moments

(if the game is halted, the area declared safe with Marshall’s authority and if necessary his mask can then possibly be removed to aid relaxing and getting through a seizure)

Stress, lack of sleep and alcohol can be common factors. So balance out the level of surprise, make sure if it’s an early start that he is aware, and be aware if he normally doesn’t drink or if the plan involves drinking more than usual
(((( Don’t drink before playing anyway - alcohol and paintball don’t mix well, bear that in mind against the previous nights plans, paintball followed by alcohol works well - as long as his epilepsy isn’t triggered that way))))

Avoid making him run the gauntlet
(It can actually be construed as assault if the victim doesn’t fully consent and are pressured - and it may not be ideal for him to be constantly pelted)
That doesn’t mean there aren’t ‘fun’ activities that will concentrate on the stag - he’s the target in an assassination game, he’s the hostage to rescue, he has multiple lives to keep on in the action etc

Reactions: ant290

TheHairyMammoth

Aug 26, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply!

Yes I agree with you about the flashbangs they could trigger a seizure or convulsions

Those epilepsy action articles were very helpful I’ll ask his fiancée about his recent fits.

Do you know how I can earn more points to list my paintball marker on the for sale thread? I’m currently too insufficient to join

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hi thanks for the reply!

Yes I agree with you about the flashbangs they could trigger a seizure or convulsions

Those epilepsy action articles were very helpful I’ll ask his fiancée about his recent fits.

Do you know how I can earn more points to list my paintball marker on the for sale thread? I’m currently too insufficient to join
Hi thanks for the reply!

The classifieds will come when you have 20 posts, and have been a member for 2 weeks