Votes: 133 67.2%
  • have a trained person from the site filling for you

Votes: 65 32.8%

• Total voters

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Ok this is a touchy subject, some guys just get on with it as if it's second nature, others step up to the rig trembling.

I'm quite experienced with high pressure air, but i still tread carefully the first time i fill at a site I've not been to, or even the first fill of the day on a site i know.

High Pressure Air, whether it's 3000psi, 3500psi, or the more favourite 4500psi, can kill you, if you are not using it correctly.

Another untouched side of this is, sites have insurance just in case any daft idiot runs into a tree or tries to eat a bunker. Are we insured to fill our bottles, should we even be allowed to fill our own bottles at a site.

Now here's the question :

a. Should we fill our bottles personally without any technical knowledge or training, as we have been.

or

b. Should the site provide a fully trained person to fill our bottles, who has had training and is insured to do this.

Jam3s

Oct 26, 2009
jam3s.com
I feel somewhere in the middle would be a smart idea really.
We should be able to fill our bottles (this saves time and money) but if people are worried, maybe a training course for it?
I'm still new to the sort and always worry, but if I'm unsure, you just have to be sensible and ask. Don't be stupid around something that can be dangerous. Always play it safe.

Jckk335_crazy

Always reads never posts
Mar 21, 2008
Durham in the North East
I think that people should be allowed to fill up their own bottles once they have been through a training course that says that they are competent to do this, also it would be great if it was a national training course with a full register that all sites reconised and accepted.

Jam3s

Oct 26, 2009
jam3s.com
I think that people should be allowed to fill up their own bottles once they have been through a training course that says that they are competent to do this, also it would be great if it was a national training course with a full register that all sites reconised and accepted.
The only downside I can see to that, is all the running around it could cause for event/site managers, that would have to take every ones registered number to be allowed on site to play to give us the same amount of freedom to fill our bottles. They'd have to check that the person who says they are registered is actually registered as well. But it would be nice / make sense.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
already there, and my mate of mine did the "training course" and still didn't have a clue. His mate was so gee'd up about playing straight after didn't bother listening.

How would you like to be in the queue to fill your bottle, and in front of you is a guy who was out till 3am the night before and got totally wrecked, but still trying to fill his bottle not anywhere near sober.

Frightening thought..................................

dave t

GWC #25
Oct 25, 2001
North East
Visit site
you gotta accept that adopting a system whereby players go on a course to be certified to fill their own air bottle is a little impractical for sites/tournies to administer and if they gotta have their own trained person there for the guys who haven't been on the course, then whats the point ?

this brings us nicely back to Tom's original 2 options, and although I'm quite happy to fill my own air bottle, I'm never quite as confident about the goober next to me lol so I'd have to go for option b...have a trained person from the site do it for you

Pegasus

[GBH Exile] Captain #35
Dec 23, 2008
Surrey
I think sites should have somone there checking bottles. Went to a site once and saw a kid filling his 3k bottle up on the 4.5k fill station but said "oh its alright, im only filling it to 3k anyway" :| My mate stopped him pronto and we started watching at who was filling before we went up.

As you said some of us can go up, fill up with no problem and walk away, others can't. People who don't know what there doing should speak up and ask for someone to show them.

Maybe somone with mad IT skills could create a CAL program about filling a bottle up. :)

Reactions: Henry.B

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
I think sites should have somone there checking bottles. Went to a site once and saw a kid filling his 3k bottle up on the 4.5k fill station but said "oh its alright, im only filling it to 3k anyway" :| My mate stopped him pronto and we started watching at who was filling before we went up.

As you said some of us can go up, fill up with no problem and walk away, others can't. People who don't know what there doing should speak up and ask for someone to show them.

Maybe somone with mad IT skills could create a CAL program about filling a bottle up. :)
could you do the same for splitting an atom, i've always wanted to have a go at that.:eek:

tiffer

Ha,ha....................
May 31, 2005
Visit site
What about a does and dont's stickie,including care...
I sold a bottle sunday and the buyer asked me quaetions about filling etc.
People should not be afraid to ask for help,99.9% of ballers will help each other if asked.
I bet most of you would offer help if you thought someone was unsure or looked to be struggling.
Perhaps we should encourage sites to add to their safety talk as in does anyone need guidance including advice on filling....