The Home Of European Paintball

Fitness

Syltiz

Chaos, panic and disorder
Jun 11, 2004
Surrey
Visit site
A section from the Which? magazine investigation into Personal Trainers:

"We are constantly being advised to take more exercise. Millions of us have put our wellbeing in the hands of gym instructors we assume are properly qualified. But our research shows some aren’t adequately trained. It is also worrying that anyone can set up a gym and run it without qualifications.
While the register of exercise professionals is laudable, it is only voluntary - so it will inevitably only attract those who have gone through the correct channels. We think registration should be mandatory and gyms should be regularly assessed, with penalties imposed if they’re found lacking.

The onus shouldn’t be on customers to check up on staff. But our research shows you should never take an instructor’s advice without questioning his or her qualifications first. "

Syltiz

Jun 11, 2004
Surrey
Visit site
The problem is, as Kill Crazy and Stan so adequately demostrated, that the general public will take Personal Trainers advice as gospel...

Maybe not the best answer eh Stan?

Stan

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Above is all very true but us giving Rosie advice via the internet is not really very functional. Better to get someone local to help... but yes, check they have a clue.

John - you avoided half of my question.;)

Kill Crazy

Aug 2, 2005
Wirral
Visit site
Ye but Syltiz so you saying that eveyone here commenting then is qualified to advise i dont think so dude.
Plus you trying to say that every PT is not qualified then. All im getting at is everyone always thinks they know best. You may be qualified to comment i dont know but I said go to PT cus i just feel they could advise her better on wat to do.

Syltiz

Jun 11, 2004
Surrey
Visit site
No, not everyone here is qualified to advise probably least of all me.

PTs are not always best as they may be unqualified or be trying to force their goals onto you instead of listening to what you want to achieve. But I dont mean that they are all like that - there is probably a good percentage of PTs that really know their stuff and can really help you. You just have to be careful and combine a number of sources of information including your own studying.