The Home Of European Paintball

forget the size, what about bore?

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Originally posted by your mom
but tournament grade paint always boasts that is has a smaller bore size.

what's up with that? is it just a gemmic or does it have a positive affect?
Small?

Never remember seeing advertised as small, just consistent quality.

mikeanywhere

Platinum Member
Originally posted by DOA Robbo
i've shot both big and small paints and found that as long as the bore size was correct then there was little difference in accuracy and FPS
That was obviously before being shot out then Robbo :D :D :D

Robbo and the guys are right. If you have a freak or the new Empire set then you sholud be ok. The alternative is to have lots of barrels with different bore sizes to ensure somewhere along the line that you will shoot and not break paint (in theory anyway).

Good luck with the task ahead.

Alan Smith

***-for-life
Paint size

Check out the graduation in bore size on a Freak set, the difference from the smallest bore section to the largest isn't that great. Consequently I have never found paint that differs in diameter to a large enough degree, to really effect performance. Plainly said - the paint that is manufactured does not differ in diameter to a scale that would affect accuracy or speed.

The importance is really to match the bore size of the barrel to the paint; this does make a difference to the performance of your marker:

1 lose bore will allow:
paint to travel along barrel (closed bolt like a cocker) this is bad.
gas will travel around the side of the ball when fired = lose of efficiency.

2 tight bore will:
prevent free movement of the ball, higher operating pressure and result in ball breaks.

The lesson is to match bore of paint and barrel, run you gun more efficiently at a lower pressure with brittler paint. This results in breaks on target.

Here is my plug, use DraXxus as all this don't matter if the paint ain’t round, sorry couldn't resist.

Alan...........................

your mom

wears army boots
Paint size

you say:

Originally posted by Alan Smith
I have never found paint that differs in diameter to a large enough degree, to really effect performance. Plainly said - the paint that is manufactured does not differ in diameter to a scale that would affect accuracy or speed.
then you say:

Originally posted by Alan Smith

The importance is really to match the bore size of the barrel to the paint; this does make a difference to the performance of your marker
you say paintballs don't differ enough to effect accuracy, then you said i should match paint and barrel bore sizes?
what are you on!?

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
One of the few times that experience matched the facts for me ...

There is no such thing as accuracy in paintball. The dynamics of the flight, specifically the ball's inefficient shape, moving liquid contents and cycle of deformation and reformation, not to mention spin / yaw / drunken corkscrew all defeat the concept of one shot, one elimenation. What we strive for is consistency. Consistency means putting more shots into a smaller grouping.

To achieve consistency, we try to remove all the variables. The size of the paintball is not as important as that it matches all the other paintballs (at least in the same box).

More closely matching the barrel bore to the paint increases the efficiency of the use of the thrust of air while decreasing the chance of extreme deformation or uncontrolled (and therefore inconsistent) muzzle exit.

If the power supply's regulation, the marker's regulation and bolt, and the general mechanical movements inside the marker are all roughly equal no matter how fast or at what angle you shoot, your consistency is improved.

Don't compare us to shooting sports which measure things in minutes of angle or fractions of an inch. Compare us more to a blow pipe or peashooter straw.

Or if you've seen me shoot, a thrown beachball.

Larry

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
While I agree with all the reasons given for matching your barrel's ID to your paint size, I would like to point out that If you have two paintballs, of equal weight, and one is smaller than the other, the smaller one will travel further (the wind drag varies with the cube of the velocity, that's a rather harsh drag curve) than the larger one if they both start out at the same velocity and travel angle (vector). That's why some tournament grade balls are smaller and with a thicker fill (when Diablo was first came out, both Inferno and hellfire tended to be supersmall...at least at the first tournament that we were sponsored by them). Some manufacturers were getting rediculous about fill weights and ball size and so some of them voluntarily limited fill weights so the balls wouldn't have enough mass to crack mask lenses or hurt people.

In my experience, most rec-ballers will rarely see supersmall paint. If anything, their paint will be on the large to medium size.

If you shoot an open bolt gun, you can get away with three barrel Inner Diameters and the larger and smaller ID's will probably rarely get used. I know a few Angel users who don't even know what their barrel ID is...they just deal with whatever happens to their paint 'cause they don't want to think about paint size. I think this is why openbolt guns got a bad rep. for accuracy in the beginning (starting with Automags), people didn't NEED to match bore size to paint size if they shot an openbolt gun...while 'Cocker users HAD to match bore and paint sizes 'cause their balls would roll out of their gun if they didn't...or they'd get plenty of breaks in their barrels.

As a side note: If you have an Intimidator and it's eye is in Classic Mode (it will shoot with a short delay if it senses there's no ball in the reciever) and you have a tendency to be jumping around or running as you're shooting, you have a chance of still chopping a ball with your bolt 'cause the delayed fire can catch a ball before it's fully seated in the reciever. I verified this, this past weekend. If you have a WAS board, set the eye in FORCED mode unless you're a backman. It's pretty rare, as the Wicked Air Sportz manual points out, but it does happen...I'm a believer :)

Ray "I snap hoppers" N.