Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

forget the size, what about bore?

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Only so much you can do to improve accuracy when your firing a spherical ball of goo, not the most aerodynamic of objects. Once you've got the barrel size right, you've only got humidity, temperature, wind shear, spin...........etc...etc.. to contend with.
Small and heavy would be best, but isn't all paint intended to be 0.68? just that the higher grades are more consistent? Isn't there a set size for a paintball in tourney? just wondering.( I know really small ones don't burst) but are there guidelines?

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Originally posted by JoseDominguez
...Small and heavy would be best, but isn't all paint intended to be 0.68? just that the higher grades are more consistent? Isn't there a set size for a paintball in tourney? just wondering.( I know really small ones don't burst) but are there guidelines?
===
Jose: The variations we're talking about are in the thousandths of an inch range, a very, very small variation that atmospheric conditions can easily affect. The paint we're talking about technically is in the lower range of the 0.68x region, but still, technically a 0.68" ball. You'll never really see the paint dip into the 0.670" range but you will see it go into the 0.690+ range. Add a little humidity, and you get a slightly larger ball. The tourney paint costs more 'cause they use more care to ensure a more consistent size within the BATCH, and they tend to throw away more balls that don't meet their consistency standards (the throw aways are known as "seconds" 'cause they are the rejects). Depending on the batch conditions, and requirements, the "seconds" can actually be quite good (maybe very consistent but a little larger than the required dimensions) or quite bad (either the batch was really out of round or the storage &/or finishing process wasn't quite as careful). I tend to believe that the "seconds" that are sold as seconds are really rejected four times, if the paint manufacturer has 3 levels of paint and just classifies the paint level according to whether it fails the next highest paint level's standards or not. Some manufacturers do this (and this ensures that their "house" paint or seconds are usually pretty bad) and others just make specific runs of a particular level of paint. If they over produce, and they have several different colors they sometimes mix this fairly good paint and sell it as "house" paint. Most paint manufacturers also have agreed not to exceed a certain weight of fill. Pretty much these supersmall variations in ball diameter are fairly hard to control and they're very important to those who put these balls through their barrels. The solid material inside the ball fills can also pool on one side of the ball, this is why some people will flip their cases of paint onto one side every week or so if they're storing paint for awhile (like if you get a good deal on paint). I know at one factory, they had three shifts and the night shift was usually the shift that had the poorest quality tourney paint 'cause they were used to the looser standards when encapsulating vitamin supplements and for some reason, had to be jumped on more often for quality control...after all it's only a thousandth of an inch isn't it?? :)

Ray

Alan Smith

***-for-life
Your Mum

This post is a little old but I just noticed you asked (just like my mum would) what I was on!

As I say I have never seen paint that differs in bore size to a large enough degree to effect distance and accuracy. This is based on physics (ref: NulodPBall's post) and the only exception would be paint that has been poorly handled.

Matching paint to bore size is a separate issue, and that relationship matters!

So what am I on well the answer is Hellfire all the way Baby!!!! :D and boy have I shot a lot of it.

Alan........................