Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Freak barrel kits

Dan Moss

Jun 6, 2016
Hi all

New member here. Been playing paintball about 6 months and bought myself a gtek the other month...just want to know if the freak barrel kits are worth it...looking at the hde earth shaft with the inserts....

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Moss

Jun 6, 2016
Yeah I was looking at getting one. What are the most common bore sizes. I know it depends on the paint which is been used. But is there a common set of bores rather than buy every one.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
At 6 months in its not worth spending on a freak kit. Your standard barrel will be of a reasonable average size

If your barrel shoots paint without breaking it, your gun is efficient enough to let your air last you a game, and you can generally hit where you're pointing then you're fine

I use a freak and will generally use a couple of inserts, but it's a bit of a contradiction to state the need to size match, but with a couple of sizes to choose from. I think I am currently one insert short of the entire size range

If you're going to end up buying a freak kit and only a couple of common sizes then you may as well invest in a couple of different barrels of differnt sizes - and get more barrels for your money

The advantage of freak is once you have different size inserts you can change to a gun with a different thread and just get a new back piece

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/freak-kits.172053/#post-1562464

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/freak-kit-aluminum-vs-stainless-steel.175447/

dfr350

Sad but true
Apr 22, 2007
Bracknell UK
I have a full freak kit and its a great piece of kit . As Tom said a couple fo barrels might be better and cheaper . I just laid my hands on a load of unitec hero barrels and they are very good especially for the money.

http://www.warpedgear.com/unitec-barrel-system-starter-kit.html

For £52+ p&p you could buy a .685 and a .689 14" (or 16"/12" if you prefer) with the front and you are done. They should cover the majority of tournament paintballs and even most walkon/site paint. They do break (rarely) but are covered by a lifetime warranty and if you get a picture of you breaking it they said you will get a bonus as well as a new barrel. :)

Both my friends tried mine and they really rated them and one runs a freak kit and the other dye ultralites.

STONESOLDIER

Planet Eclipse
Mar 4, 2007
Manchester, Stretford
The standard barrel back for Eclipse markers is .689 I have this year so far been using GI paint and Valken paint both very small bores this year, most of the year I have been using a .679

Reactions: Spikerz

smudgerebt

Rockin VIP Cocker, So-Manc E1, LV1
Apr 19, 2014
Near Stockport
I have the Pro Tip and FR Shaft back in HDE and lets face it they look fantastic, worth buying just for that.

I got mine from Ronnie at Factory Paintball in Stockport.

ckennedy

Feb 28, 2016
I have also only been playing for about 5ish months. Got myself a freak kit as part of a bundle deal. I love it. But good paint makes a big difference too.

Can I go slightly off topic and ask you about the gtek? I'm currently looking at one but wanted to get some thoughts from people that have one. Could you write a small review on it?

systemx

Peace through superior firepower
Jul 3, 2011
London
I would say get a barrel kit when you can because it is worth it's weight in gold IMHO.

This will allow you to taylor the barrel to different sizes of paint, which varies more than you think from brand to brand even batch to batch. That being said buying decent paint will have a big bearing on overall performance.

Most decent markers use A/C (AutoCocker) thread these days (Eclipse, Dye, Empire, Macdev, Bob Long) which enables you can continue to use you barrel kit when you upgrade you marker. At worst if you new marker did not accept an A/C threaded barrel, with the freak all you need do is buy a new back. There are also wide range of different barrel fronts available too which will enable you to customise the overall barrel length as well!

Pre owned kits come up occasionally and can be had for as little as £80. That will include many if not all of the inserts you will ever need. I have been using a Freak kit for years and years and still go back to it as my go to barrel system despite owning many others, including hammerhead Dye, Assassin, and WGP et al.

Deadly wind carbon barrels are also worth alook they can be had for around £80 new and accept freak inserts, a double win!!