Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

freak kit Aluminum vs Stainless Steel?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
is the SSkit worth the extra bit of money? if so anyone who own them would say recommend the upgrade from Aluminum ?
cheers
A team mate has a stainless set whereas I have aluminium
I'm jealous

But for a barrel sizing set in practicality they are not different
Within production tolerances they are the same size
My aluminium set is lighter, and colour coded
His stainless set is stronger, prettier and more unique

Adhajm

Adam Gray
Oct 10, 2015
South (West of Swindon)
A team mate has a stainless set whereas I have aluminium
I'm jealous

But for a barrel sizing set in practicality they are not different
Within production tolerances they are the same size
My aluminium set is lighter, and colour coded
His stainless set is stronger, prettier and more unique
cheers tom! yeah i do like the colour coding with them, your mate think they are abit more improvement in the quality of bore? or is it simply weight/strength and that little bit more unique?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
cheers tom! yeah i do like the colour coding with them, your mate think they are abit more improvement in the quality of bore? or is it simply weight/strength and that little bit more unique?
Barrel inserts should be cleaned if there's a break etc, kept in a case
So I don't thin the benefits of stainless are that much over aluminium inserts
If I didn't already have a set then I'd go for stainless now, but that's more of them being pretty and shiney

STONESOLDIER

Planet Eclipse
Mar 4, 2007
Manchester, Stretford
there slightly heaver and stronger, if you put your inserts back in the case there is no point in going for stainless steel

I also like the fact I can ask a team mate what colour insert they are using and don't even need to look for the size.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
I have read that the steel ones are consistently closer to the stated bores, not that it matters since you just use the one that fits rather that breaking out the micrometer on your paint and sizer when you play.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I have read that the steel ones are consistently closer to the stated bores, not that it matters since you just use the one that fits rather that breaking out the micrometer on your paint and sizer when you play.
Yes
Stainless inserts are machined to the size
Aluminium inserts are anodised so must either be machined a fraction larger to accommodate the finish, or if machined to the size will be a fraction smaller and tighter by the depth of the anodised finish

In reality we are using sizing kits to our preferred match/over/under bore for a gelatine ball that clearly isn't really 0.68" otherwise we wouldn't bother with sizing kits in the first place

Freaks and other sizing kits allow us to adjust as we wish on the day, and possibly throughout the day

Reactions: Canon Fodder

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Have to be a little more careful with the aluminium. The edges can be easily damaged if dropped at the right angle on hard surfaces, or bent out of shape if something heavy is dropped on them.