Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Fresh Start: Nations Cup feedback

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
I picked a heck of a day to miss checking the boards...

Magued asked for feedback on the Xball structure in another forum. With all the debate about motives and personalities involved, I think the constructive discussion got lost in the shuffle. The other thread seems to have lost steam/gone off track, so this is an attempt to get back to constructive discussion.

As far as why I'm doing this, it's either a) obsessive/compulsive disorder, b) I don't know when to keep my mouth shut, 3) insomnia or x) all of the above.

Before I get into the specifics, let me say that the biggest problem seems to be communication. Mag, Nial - I applaud your efforts to keep the players up to speed on things. But the message has to be clear and consistent. As someone else said (I don't remember exactly who it was), it seems to be more a matter of tighter Mil Board organization than anything else, so you can discuss the options, make a decision and support it if it's questioned.

1 Participating nations - Figure out what the minimum requirements must be for a participating national Xball team. Able to attend every tournament? Pro team? High ranked team/players? According to Mil or World ranking? Host of a Mil event? Once you know what you want, identify the nations that meet the criteria. Then contact the captain (see item 2) and work out if they can meet the requirements.

2 Captains - Will the captain for a nations cup team be the captain of the highest ranked team from that nation, based on the previous Mil season? Based on World ranking? If that captain doesn't want the job, is the next highest ranked captain contacted, until someone takes the job? If no one who meets the Participation criteria wants the job, do you move on to the next qualifying nation?

3 Team selection - The captain for the team selects who he wants to play on the team, just as it was in Pittsburgh. Do the players have to come from teams/players actually playing in the event, or can they be from any team from that country?

4 Season structure, etc - The structure Magued laid out in a previous post looked good to me. Each team plays 4 events and refs 1. Team points determine standings for participation at the World Cup at the end of the year.

5 Sponsorship/Support - Will Nations Cup be supported by sponsors providing paint, support, etc? Can national teams arrange additional sponsors for their team? Will pit crews be provided by the tournament, or do teams have to provide their own?

Lots of questions, but most have binary answers (yes/no, black/white, etc).

Here's some questions I haven't seen asked yet. I know how I would answer them (especially the second one).
- Is Nations Cup intended to be a European event or a global event?
- If it's European only, why are America and Canada included? They're not in Europe last time I checked. (Repairman - don't take this personally, I'm not trying to get Dynasty kicked out of Nations Cup)
- If it's global, what if Japan (for example) wants to enter?
- What happens if the captain for a nation can't attend an event (for whatever reason)? What if the captain attends but his regular team doesn't play?

If you have the numbered items worked out, you should be able to easily answer these and other questions.

I realize I'm a complete outsider and not privy to the inner workings of the Mil board. If I'm completely off-base with any of this, please understand that I'm only trying to give you some feedback on what I've seen.

Finally, if you want to tell me I'm a ****er, an idiot or comment on my mother's relation to my father, just send me an IM. Feel free to post any comments about the Nations Cup stuff.

Disclaimer: This should in no way be seen as trying to diminish the valuable and interesting threads found elsewhere on this board, or detract from the stuff already posted by Mag, Pete, Nial and everyone else.

Magued

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
Hi Shamu.

Good questions!
I will try to answer them as much as possible.
For the record, Its still forming and all will be done in a couple of weeks.
Nice work at HB anyway.

About the participating teams we have it 90 % ready.
The choosing process and criterias its done.
We have gone thru this issue for a while and its not really productive to keep talking about it.
Im confident that we have made the right choises and I dont have any problem to explain to anybody why this and that team/captain is in charge.
Im not however going to get in to more discussions about the choices over the internet.
If anybody still want to have a explanition feel free to email me
idris@chello.se

Nations and Captains

France - Laurent Hamet - TonTon
Germany - Syndicate - Manfred
Sweden - Me - Joy
Norway - Kim - NBK
Usa - Dynasty - Alex
Uk - Pete Martin - Mayhem Tigers
Russia - Russian Legion - S.Leontiev
Denmark - Steenberg - Ugly Duckling
Portugal - Estratego - Pedro

Finland or Canada
Depends on if Richmond wants to field a Canadian team. But I would rather choose Finland as the made the Final last year in Nations cup. In that case I will ask Egi from team Cyclone after Mardi gras.

Team selection.

Nations cup is first and foremost a test. The most important thing is to be able to put on a good show and HAVE FUN!
Its also a great marketing tool for every Mill event to sell to Media

The captain can choose whoever he wants and from as many or few teams as he wants. As long as they are from that country.
For example Goose who lives in Denmark, have a Danish mother :) and plays for a danish team will be able to play for Denamark.
If you have a few players that actuelly dont play the event, beacuse there team didnt make it, you would still be able to play X-ball. We will not inforce things that can make things harder for the teams. However we would prefer that players from participating teams is choosed, but its up to the teams.

Sponsorship/ support
The teams have to take care of there paint, sponsors,fee, crew etc..
It shouldnt be a problem to get sponsors for the nation team, all thoose choosed captains have been around the block and should be able to take care of this.

Magued